cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't use my internet when Downloading Torrent file?

success_erven
Level 7
I have this problem ever since i bought this laptop. Can anyone tell me how to figure this out. I was wondering why can't I use my internet to browse when i am downloading a torrent file. Any help will be appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2

haihane
Level 13
looks like it's a matter of allocation, than the laptop itself.
- if you max out the lane of a highway (fully congested torrent traffic) , and you're trying to send new traffic (browser request), there's nowhere else for you to drive and get into your destination on time. unless a traffic officer opens up a lane for you (traffic prioritizing).

- check your router itself for any traffic prioritizing functionality (QoS), if yes enable it. alternatively, don't max out the torrent traffic. if you can download up to 1 MB/s, set the download cap to 950 KB/s.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

hmscott
Level 12
success.erven wrote:
I have this problem ever since i bought this laptop. Can anyone tell me how to figure this out. I was wondering why can't I use my internet to browse when i am downloading a torrent file. Any help will be appreciated.

success.erven, strangely enough, what kills an internet connection hosting/downloading torrents, is the upload rate. When the upload path is full, you can't ack packets from other services, killing connections/performance for other uses while torrents are running.

To start, limit the upload to 1/2 your max upload rate.

You can tune it closer to full usage, but start low and see the difference, and go from there.

You want to complete torrents 1:1, and reducing upload throughput lengthens the time to attain 1:1, but if you don't reduce the upload a bit, you won't be able to ack packets for other services.

You can also use this long time tool, even on Windows 8.1, to tune your ethernet/wireless IP/TCP/UDP settings for better performance.
http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Relevant forum post on speedguide:
http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?222078-7000kbps-but-still-slow-when-surfing&highlight=p2