cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX horrible touchpad

fsjk85
Level 7
hey guys, i just got my brand new g74sx-xr1 and the first thing i notice is i cant type without the mouse clicking everywhere, so i try and adjust the sensitivity or the palmcheck that most touchpads have only to discover they dont exist on my laptop, my friend who has the best buy model has those options
turns out i have a Sentelic touchpad whereas he has a Synaptics one.
ive tried for hours to get the synaptics drivers to install properly and give me full functionality but nope.
so it appears my only solution to have a proper touchpad is to replace it with a synaptics ones, anyone know where to get one or any ideas?
58 REPLIES 58

JRd1st
Level 12
Do the bios 202 update, then install ATK 1.0.0010. These helped my touchpad problem for some reason.

Those updates can be found here http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?1150-G73-74-53-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference

And BIOS flasing instructions can be seen here. http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/174395-bios-update-guide-asus-notebooks.html
(Use the Easy Flash method)

Which Sentelic driver version did you update to?
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

ive been using the new bios, but ill try out the ATK drivers
ive been using 9.1.3.5, but ive tried the other versions on the asus page, none can give me any sensitivity options.
also missing is any usefull scroll function, the two finger gestures are rubbish and the right side scrolling is just awful, ive scrolled up and down like 10 times just writing this message.
the synaptics touchpad on my friends g74 is way better

9.1.3.5 is fine for me.

A shot in the dark, when you updated your BIOS, after it restarted did you go back into the BIOS settings and reset defaults?

I have a G74 with the Sentelic and, after doing all the updates and everything mine is fine. Awesome in fact.

Another shot in the dark, did you update your Atheros WiFi driver yet?
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

i didnt reset defaults but i did go through all the settings, nothing was changed from the previous bios and i'm using the wifi driver from the asus page.
the settings available in the sentelic options i have are limited
http://i.imgur.com/4QhKr.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/h9XC9.jpg
i looked through the registry and there are some other options like sensitivity in there, unfortunately i have no idea how to make them appear in the configuration window

grungeboy2
Level 10
i noticed you said you tried to install the synaptics software but have you tried the other software?

fsjk85
Level 7
the synaptics software installs but doesnt give you any options apart from setting what the mouse buttons do.
i dont know of any other software?

dstrakele
Level 14
fsjk85 wrote:
hey guys, i just got my brand new g74sx-xr1 and the first thing i notice is i cant type without the mouse clicking everywhere, so i try and adjust the sensitivity or the palmcheck that most touchpads have only to discover they dont exist on my laptop, my friend who has the best buy model has those options
turns out i have a Sentelic touchpad whereas he has a Synaptics one.
ive tried for hours to get the synaptics drivers to install properly and give me full functionality but nope.
so it appears my only solution to have a proper touchpad is to replace it with a synaptics ones, anyone know where to get one or any ideas?

Using the Sentelic drivers, go to Mouse Properties -Finger Sensing Pad tab, to get to the Finger Sensing Pad Configurator. In this dialog, expand Enable/Disable Pad,and click on "Typing Detection". Confirm the "Disable pad while typing" checkbox is checked, then expand "Typing Detection" and click on "Reactiivation Time". Set it to at least 1.5 seconds. This is the key as the default setting is too low.

I learned this from another forum post and it resolved my touchpad issues while typing.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

grungeboy2
Level 10
try using the sentilic drivers/software.

fsjk85
Level 7
the sentelic drivers are whats doing my head in, having that typing deactivation makes it impossible to play a game on this laptop