cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73 black screen on boot...

Retired
Not applicable
I purchased a G73 used yesterday and had no problems with it. Now when I try to turn it on the DVD drive spins up, the lights on te front come on... but the monitor does not. I tried HDMI and monitor out both and had no response.

I've seen the GSOD threads, but these all seem to refer to issues with BIOS upgrades or a BSOD issue that happens randomly or at times... this G73 now seems to boot, but with no video out.

Does anyone have an ideas on how I can fix this? >.<
11 REPLIES 11

JRd1st
Level 12
Do you see the ASUS logo at POST?
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Retired
Not applicable
Nope, the lights come on, drives spin up, but no logo/post or boot sound.

OK, try this; power it off then remove the battery. Press and hold the power button for about a minute. (that's should reset your BIOS to defaults). Put the battery back in and power on.

This is a total shot in the dark, but it's easy enough to try.

If that doesn't work bring it back and tell them you want another one. (I'm assuming BB means BeatBuy? ) If you just bought it, there should be no problem with that.

Good luck!

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Retired
Not applicable
I just bought it used. >.<

Battery out power press... tried, no change. Reset button on bottom, same thing.

i don't understand either. But this must be a hardware problem.

You didn't flash the BIOS did you?

Since it seems to be booting, and you get nothing from hdmi either, I'd say your display adapter went kaput.

Sorry man, I know this really sucks.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Pyro411
Level 7
zshadez, have you tried "Re-seating" every component such as HDD/Optical Drive/Ram ? I have seen this issue crop up a number of times where re-seating the ram to ensure it's all in properly & making good electrical contact fixed it. Also depending on the age you may want to clean the contacts on your ram with something like Deoxit "Sorry can't remember the spelling" or other electrically safe De-Oxidizing agent, in the very worst case scenario a clean red eraser to rub the oxidation off followed by a gentle Alcohol cleaning of the contacts will do it but you have to be careful with that method.

Retired
Not applicable
Ok, so I was trying all advice and saw someone in an old post elsewhere with no replies with the issue who fixed it by removing one of his hard drives.

I took out the hard drive and... YES. Asus logo. Post. Error. It wants the bootable drive, and I just took it out. Something must have goofed when I did the Recovery and made the laptop and the hdd stop being friends.

With the HDD in the unit the lights come on, dvd drive spins, but no post or screen activity. With the HDD out everything works fine... sans my hdd.

Advice? I was thinking about putting it into an enclosure and installing W7 fresh from another pc, but not sure how that will work out in this case. Is my MBR shot? Anything I'm not thinking of?9

JRd1st
Level 12
Do you have a desktop you can temporarily install that drive into so you can format it?

You can download a Win home premium install ISO then burn it to DVD, do a clean install, and activate it with the number on bottom of your laptop. Stay away from those recovery discs, though. Lol

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Retired
Not applicable
Tried to install that drive on another pc and it wasn't recognized. I don't know what happened, but the recovery software made that hdd a pariah of doom. Grabbed a new tb drive for cheap and put it in, fresh 7 install, everything works just great. Thanks all for trying to help, it's been a strange few days with this, but now everything is rainbows and blood splatters. ❤️ Deus Ex.