cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V Formula-Z vga problem

Crayraven
Level 7
Hey everyone,

I just brought the crosshair v last night and installed it. But I have a strange problem that I've never experienced before, so I can't figure it out. When I cold boot the PC is fine, but when I restart I sometimes get the long beep/followed by three short beeps. Indicating that the vga isn't detected.

So I decided to look at gpu-z. Turns out that sometimes the pcie speed and revision changes. And no this isn't related to the power saving features for video cards.

For example, when I tried to play gw2. It was running at 15fps. Normally it was 60fps+ on my old board with all identical components. I decided to take a look at gpu-z and it said it was running @ pcie x16 1.1. When it should be pcie x16 2.0. So I decide to reseat the video card. And it didn't help. Sometimes it would boot with the card set to pcie x4 1.1. I just can't figure out what is causing the card to do this.

As I mentioned there was no problems on my old board (Asus M5A97 R2.0). I updated to the latest bios and still no luck. And the gpu is connected to the first slot.

System specs:

AMD 8350
MSI Radeon R9 280x
16gb of ram
2x hdd, 2xssd
Windows 8.1

Any help will be appreciated it!
14 REPLIES 14

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15

Sorry I forgot to add that.

Antec Earthwatts 750w.

GOR52
Level 10
Make sure your card is clipped (installed) in properly.

Refer to page 1-29 of the Z manual. There are 4 Q leds. Is the VGA_LED on?

Page 1-30, which error code does it show?

Read here:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?44980-Faulty-Crosshair-V-Formula-Z&country=&status=

Peruse the mobo manual, page (1-43).

If you didn't come right, bench test you pc.

Let us know the outcome.

GOR52 wrote:
Make sure your card is clipped (installed) in properly.

Refer to page 1-29 of the Z manual. There are 4 Q leds. Is the VGA_LED on?

Page 1-30, which error code does it show?

Read here:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?44980-Faulty-Crosshair-V-Formula-Z&country=&status=

Peruse the mobo manual, page (1-43).

If you didn't come right, bench test you pc.

Let us know the outcome.

The error code is AA. At first I thought it was bad, until I figured out that the system is booting just without video. I didn't notice the vga leds. I will take a look at them today.

Does the ez molex need to be plugged in regardless of not using a multi gpu setup?

Crayraven wrote:
Does the ez molex need to be plugged in regardless of not using a multi gpu setup?

I mentioned it just to make sure you getting enough juice, independently of you running CF or not.

I had it plugged in anyway. When the vga problem does happen, the red vga light on the board is solid. Window continues to boot as normal with no video...my monitor is black. I know its in windows because I can cycle through the logictech apps on my keyboard.

Its weird, sometimes when I reboot the board keeps beeping and finally it comes on. The bios screen says my video card isn't supported by uefi, but my video card is uefi enabled and I was using it just fine on my other board. When I go into the bios to completely disable legacy boot options, it works fine. Meaning uefi is fine, but when it restarts it resets itself.

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Do you have all the power connectors on the graphics card populated?

Also I would consider a BIOS upgrade to 1901...if that is the BIOS version you are using consider using an older version BIOS.

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

Yes I have all the connectors populated. I was using 1901 but I just started to use 1602 to see if it helps. So far the last two times I checked, pcie x16 2.0 was working. But when I reboot I completely lose my video card signal.

Edit: Now when I reboot the card is pcie x4 1.1.

Edit: I tried another pcie slot. It does the same thing, it doesn't detect the video card when I reboot.

TheNerdBench
Level 10
I'm not sure on this one...you may have a bad motherboard as you stated all of parts run fine on another motherboard.

FYI: I have a Matrix R9 280X and I checked GPU-Z and it also states my card is running at X16@1.1 but the graphics card seems to benchmark just fine (sorry, I really don't play many games so I can't give you any frame rates). Also remember that these motherboards only support PCIe V2.0...not V3.0

Let us know if you figure anything out on your own as I don't have anything else for you to try except maybe cleaning the fingers on the graphic cards connector with a cotton swab and some 90% iso. alcohol and using a can of compressed air to blow out the PCIe slots (one person had a problem with the graphics card and this did the trick).

Also before you RMA the board I would suggest bench testing...maybe something is warping the motherboard (like a mis-placed standoff).

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]