cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Display driver stopped responding and has recovered"

tichor
Level 7
This is my first post so hello guys . I've purchased G750JX laptop in January, and since then message "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" pops from time to time. And then I need to reboot, and in most case scenarios I need to reboot it again and again. I've tried everything ( I think so). Uninstalling drivers in safe mode, cleaning leftovers with Driver Remover. I've got Windows 8.1 64bit, all updates are installed, all drivers are up to date. But even though I've got this bloody message...
Is there anything I could do ?
9 REPLIES 9

noone
Level 8
your GPU is not stable.

Monitor the temps, have you OC'd at all?

Thanks for reply, but let's cut to the chase. I didn't OC anything ( everything runs smoothly). I was playing F1 2013, and the temp of GPU is around 60 degrees. So it's not temperature for shure. Oh and I'm running on 335.23 nvidia driver

tichor wrote:
Thanks for reply, but let's cut to the chase. I didn't OC anything ( everything runs smoothly). I was playing F1 2013, and the temp of GPU is around 60 degrees. So it's not temperature for shure. Oh and I'm running on 335.23 nvidia driver

tichor, you can try a clean install of an Asus/Nvidia older WHQL video driver, to see if your JX GTX stabilizes, and/or try stop playing F1 2013 and live under another game for a while and see if the crashes stop.

If you are only crashing under F1 2013, there could be an install / corruption problem with that game. Or a game/driver incompatibility with the 335.23 release.

It isn't only absolute temperature that a GPU can become sensitive to, it can fail at a lower temperature too. Usually pushing the temperature on a sensitive GPU will reliably crash the video driver.

You could try loading a benchmark that pushes the temperature up, including an OC to get the temps up further. If you don't crash at stock speed, or mild OC, it is likely the game / driver causing the display driver crash.

The Asus GPU Tweak Tool can monitor temperature and other data, and log it to a file so you can capture the moment of the display crash so you can see what is going on. You don't need to OC for that.

Here are my readings at stock and OC speeds running SETI at home CUDA runs, via BOINC:

I've tried GPU Tweak, but as soon as I opend it, my G750 freeze. Then I've tried drivers from Asus website - still the same. I even reinstalled Windows. But... I got this annoying message. So maybe there's something wrong with my GPU ?

tichor wrote:
I've tried GPU Tweak, but as soon as I opend it, my G750 freeze. Then I've tried drivers from Asus website - still the same. I even reinstalled Windows. But... I got this annoying message. So maybe there's something wrong with my GPU ?

If you did a recovery restore, reinstalled Asus Windows from the recovery F9 or Backtracker, and still have Nvidia disply driver crashes, then you should report it to Asus via a Technical Inquiry and request RMA instructions - give them all the info you gave us here, briefly / succinctly, and let them help you.

Register here and use the Technical Inquiry feature on the left:
http://vip.asus.com

Be nice, positive, and the Asus people will help you get through this repair and back gaming asap 🙂

noone
Level 8
Sounds like the GPU is unstable, don't know why.
F1 is not a demanding game and you should be able to push the GPU quite hard without the issues you're seeing.

Unfortunately RMA is the best way forward.

meankeys
Level 13
Did you have this problem before you upgraded the video driver? Try installing the old vid driver and see if the problem goes away.

I installed the new driver and have been getting this same error message. I of course am OC my system hard so it to be expected.

tichor
Level 7
I've installed Windows 8, and I got the same message bout driver, while I was watching Netflix...

tichor wrote:
I've installed Windows 8, and I got the same message bout driver, while I was watching Netflix...

Yup, time to pursue an RMA with Asus, let us know how it works out, if you have any problems / delays, be sure to post them here 🙂