Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with Crosshair V Formula-Z and Corsair H100i

eagledude4
Level 7
In regards to the h100i, I have done the following:

• Connected 3 pin connector to the CPU_FAN header
  • Connected the SATA Power connector to my PSU
  • Connected the mini usb to Corsair Block and USB 910 header (There is metal exposed on the mini-usb connector, but I can't seem to insert it all the way)
  • Ensured the Block is seated tight over the CPU

I have the H100i fans currently plugged into the CPU_OPT1 and CHA_FAN3 headers because when plugged into the H100i via the y splitter, the fans don't spin at all.

The LED on the H100i isn't on either, and Corsair LINK does not detect the h100i. I've tried plugging the Mini-USB into both of the USB headers and still nothing.

The pump IS running though, so thats good. Have I done something wrong, or should I RMA the H100i?

Before I set BIOS to ignore the cpu fan speed, I was getting a CPU_FAN error, if that helps.
15 REPLIES 15

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
Is your CPU Fan set as 3-pin or 4-pin in BIOS?

If it's set to 3-pin, fan speed is controlled by adjusting voltage; if it's set to 4-pin, then fan speed is controlled with varying pulses at 12 V.

Did your stock air-cooler function properly on the CPU header?

Yes.
I'm expecting the issue to be related to the USB connection.

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
Another thought:

All fans have a certain voltage/pulse rate that has to be met before they will spin up. Have you tried disabling your CPU control (or setting it to maximum speed) to eliminate that as a possibility?

Have you tried different USB headers (I'm not familiar with your board, and with the possibility that there is only one header). If there is exposed wire in a cable, then there is a good possibility that there is a short within the wire bundle, which could cause other issues.

eagledude4
Level 7
I have disabled CPU fan monitoring through my MOBO, and as stated earlier, I have tried both (all) USB headers. I didnt notice any visual damages in the USB cable either

madcratebuilder
Level 10
You would find more info at the Corsair forum.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/index.php

You have a cable coming off the pump, 3 wires, 2 wires go to the sata power connector, 1 wire goes to the motherboards cpu fan connector.

You have a cable that attaches to the pump housing with a micro usb plug, the other end attaches to the motherboard 10 pin usb header. Is that how you have it wired?

The fans attach to the pump body with proprietary plugs.
Speedbird 9590@5.1/CHVFZ/8gb G Skill@2133/ASUS R9-280X all on EK blocks controlled with Aquaero 6 Pro

Goonybird 8350@4.6/GA990FXAUD3/16gb Corsair@1600/Crossfired Sapphire 7990's cooled with CM 240L XSPC res

That about sums it up.

eagledude4 wrote:
That about sums it up.

I have my radiator fans connect according to the manual.

Have a look here:
http://www.corsair.com/en/blog/2013/february/how-to-install-the-hydro-series-h100i-cpu-cooler.

eagledude4
Level 7
That guide explains my bullet-points from my first post, no?

koldphuzion
Level 7
I have the H100i on my mobo and it works flawlessly.

You need to have 4pin PWM fans attached for it work correctly. Mine is running via the corsair link software and i am using a pair of SP 120 PWM Performance Static fans with no problems.

When i used the mobo to control the fans i found it under performed and struggled to keep my FX9590 cool, so i switched back to the link software and it keeps my CPU under 45degress @5GHz under load nicely.
The only other way is to control the fans with a fan controller, which I am going to do, simply because it will give me more control over the fans than the software does.