Did you mean: 

Give me your opinions on the G74

Retired
Not applicable
Is the g74 a good laptop?
15 REPLIES 15

JRd1st
Level 12
I love it but only after I wiped the system drive and did a clean install of windows and all the latest drivers.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

dstrakele
Level 14
I'm enjoying mine three weeks after purchase. The larger 1920x1080 HD display is a big improvement over my previous laptop. It is also much faster, runs cooler and quieter, and has more resources. I initially had a problem with the touchpad moving the cursor when typing, but resolved this issue by increasing the typing reactivation time - a solution I found on this forum.

Overall I've found technical support very helpful on this forum. There are several very knowledgeable folks who frequently help new users. An ASUS employee with the handle "Chastity" is also very knowledgeable and does a great job as a customer advocate for users experiencing problems.

On the con side, I would've liked RAID support, backlit touchpad buttons, an eSATA port, a larger battery, a smaller footprint, and less weight - but what can ya do? If you use Numpad shortcuts, you'll want to install the latest BIOS and keyboard drivers as discussed in the Sticky Thread.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Retired
Not applicable
Its a rather solid piece of hardware, if not a little unpolished.
I've owned one for 3 weeks now.

Keyboard can be somewhat sluggish if you hit a button half heartedly, that is compared to desktop keyboards like G15.
Cant say much positive about speakers either, they are either to quite or almost breaking. Depending on the settings you pick.

Average time fully charged battery last is about 4-5 hours on "battery saving mode".
I can run Warhammer 40.000 Space Marine without a hinch, World of Tanks run well on High, as well as you can expect that buggy game to run.
Fallout New Vegas seem to run good on High Settings, want to test run it on ultra high, but that comes later. All games mentioned above was played in 1920x1080 resolution.

Wrstlr316
Level 7
I have had the laptop for a week now and haven't had any real major issues yet with it. I only removed the bloatware that came with it and installed quite a few of my games so far, and combined the D and E drives back into a 500GB drive as I really don't have the use for 3 partitions ATM. I haven't really decided if I want to do a fresh reinstall of the OS yet or not, but I am thinking I might at some point, but for now I am just taking the easy route of uninstalling the crap and going from there.

My ONLY complaints so far as the previous poster stated, 1 may or may not be an actual problem with the laptop, but a "style difference" that I have to get used to, and the other I am hoping is fixed with an driver or software update at some point. The first problem as my fiance calls it, it has a "clicky keyboard" as where my other laptop and my desktop PC's have a (again in her words) "mushy" keyboard. Explanation: I type fairly fast and either don't press the keys hard enough to register some of my typing, or I type too fast for it to register. *SHRUG* When my fiance used it she didn't have any problems but she likes a "clicky" keyboard better and uses those type anyways. I did also have a problem while playing RIFT the other day while using the ^ arrow key, I would at times have to press the < key 2-3 times before it would respond, HOWEVER, that was before the ATK .10 update, since I have done that I haven't had a repeat of that issue... so far. And as the previous poster also said the speakers are a bit lacking in the volume department, however I am hoping they release an update to solve that issue. But so far opening the THX TruStudio program and selecting "External Speakers" has solved the issue for me, y only wish with that is that I could save those settings and not have to do it with every reboot.

A few things I LOVE about the laptop not counting the specs etc. is it is super quiet, stays super cool, and I really, really love the "rubber-ish" covering that the laptop has, not only because IMHO it looks good, but it is also anti-fingerprint, I could not stand that my last laptop (G72GX) was a fingerprint magnet and no matter how many times I would wipe it down it looked like it was used by a 4 year old with dirty hands. That may just be me but I am a bit OCD when it comes to cleanliness of my laptops and PC's. LOL So far all the games I have installed (WoW, RIFT, CoD: BO, Battlefield 3 BETA, Etc., Etc.) I have been able to run all at ultra settings and have had no issues in that department, and the laptop still stays as they say "cool as the other side of the pillow" and "quiet as a church mouse".

Overall I am very happy with it, which is saying a lot after just a couple weeks ago I swore I would NEVER own another ASUS product after the problem I had with the G72, but SO FAR they have won me back as a satisfied loyal customer.

Hope that helps... J

PS: I also did the 202 BIOS update and the previous review is also speaking for the Best Buy (BK7) model, can't speak for any of the others as I don't own them.
Current Laptop: ASUS G74SX-BBK7 😄

Previous Laptop: ASUS G72GX-RBBX05 :mad:
(Still own it, but it has the annoying whitescreen flicker due to poor LCD cable placement problem)

dstrakele
Level 14
In the THX TrueStudio program, click on the triangle in the upper left and choose "Software Update". The update will remove the problem "Built-in Speakers" profile, so you need not change it on every reboot.

dstrakele wrote:
In the THX TrueStudio program, click on the triangle in the upper left and choose "Software Update". The update will remove the problem "Built-in Speakers" profile, so you need not change it on every reboot.

Strange, I did that and got the following message:

Status: No updates are necessary for your Creative product.
Your system already has the latest versions installed.

And when I went back to check the built in speaker option was / is still available.

(Still own it, but it has the annoying whitescreen flicker due to poor LCD cable placement problem)

I love my G74 so far. Granted, I've only had it for a couple of weeks but it's an awesome value. Price out a comparable Alienware m17 and it'll be $1000 more for essentially the same laptop.

I was going to go with the G53 to get something a little more portable and had been eyeing them for about a year, then when I got serious a couple of weeks ago I saw that the G74SX was out, it was a no-brainer since it was going to be a desktop replacement anyway.

My desktop was an Intel Core2Quad Q9400 @ 2.66GHz, 8GB memory (DDR2-800), ATI Radeon HD3870 1GB and the G74 runs circles around it. I was never unhappy with the desktop's performance, though the video card could use some updating.

Anyway, this thing impresses me more every day and it's been solid as a rock, both physically and technically. The cooling is awesome, you can barely hear it running even when playing games or working with multimedia files. My only complaint...holy cow, the power supply is a brick!

Definitely no regrets here.

Side note, I highly recommend using Squaretrade for an extended warranty. Great coverage and much less expensive than the retail store warranties.
--
Yahooligan
ASUS G74SX-XR1 :cool:

Wrstlr316 wrote:
Strange, I did that and got the following message:

Status: No updates are necessary for your Creative product.
Your system already has the latest versions installed.

And when I went back to check the built in speaker option was / is still available.

Maybe Creative pulled the update since I downloaded it? Or it was not yet targeted for your specific system? Or it has not yet been posted to all servers that the software update process connects to? I have release 1.04.04 on my system. What is your version?

dstrakele wrote:
Maybe Creative pulled the update since I downloaded it? Or it was not yet targeted for your specific system? Or it has not yet been posted to all servers that the software update process connects to? I have release 1.04.04 on my system. What is your version?

OK here is where it gets stranger that is the version I have and mine definitely has the Built in speakers option and boots up with that selected every time.