cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lots of system freezing

jacksragingbile
Level 7
Background: Leaving Mac Pro 1,1 for custom build pc. Took budget for new Mac and purchased parts to build my first PC. Paid Tiger Direct to set it up.

Problem: OS locks up all the time. Random timing. Brought it home first day and locks up. This happens few times.... Macafee is running????? So I take back and ask them why the hell it's even on there. They "clean" it. Sends me home. Loggin at home .... More freezing ... They keep two days.... Tell me my first 780ti is messed up. I send it back (still waiting on RMA delivery so I get money back ). Second card comes they put it in. Tech has an issue getting the board to run the card. They end up forcing PCI slot. Take it home freezes on YouTube. I missed a flash update so I chalk it up to Adobe. Runs rest of the night great, including an hour on Assassins black flag. Today I run it... Freezes on boot... Freezes in UEFI... Freezes in assasins... Freezes loading utility for bios off formula disc. Graphics went wonky on Assasins ... Lines and patterns as it's freezing. Notice board puts out code "AE". Might have seen a "A0" at one point.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
NzXt 810 (white) | Maximus Formula VI | i7 4770k | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LP | Evga 780 Ti SC ACX | Cooler Master v1000 | Corsair h100i | 256 Samsung 840 Pro | Win 10
20 REPLIES 20

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the ROG forums, jacksragingbileduct.

Download and run Memtest86+ on your RAM please. Make sure you let it finish one to two complete cycles. If you've never used that utility before, there is a simple guide written by HiVizMan linked in my signature. Report back your results.

Will do.

I sorry board is Maximus Formula IV.
NzXt 810 (white) | Maximus Formula VI | i7 4770k | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LP | Evga 780 Ti SC ACX | Cooler Master v1000 | Corsair h100i | 256 Samsung 840 Pro | Win 10

Chino wrote:
Welcome to the ROG forums, jacksragingbileduct.

Download and run Memtest86+ on your RAM please. Make sure you let it finish one to two complete cycles. If you've never used that utility before, there is a simple guide written by HiVizMan linked in my signature. Report back your results.

I downloaded to USB and went into BIOS, set order but its not saving the order. Am I missing something?

Zka17
Level 16
Yeap, most likely the system is unstable... start with what Chino suggested...
In mean time could you clarify your motherboard's brand and make? "Formula IV" is not a big help... maybe it's an Asus Maximus VI Formula?
(it's important because we could help you better with settings if we know exactly what you have)

I am sorry Asus Maximus VI.

Zka17
Level 16
NP, just thought to clarify that...

Do the memtest86+ first to figure out if the memories are OK or not... then we can take it from there...

jab383
Level 13
Freezing? Hate when that happens, especially to a rig that appears as well-planned as yours.

A couple more questions that may help the helpers:

What version of Windows?
What speeds are the memory and CPU running? Any overclocking? What voltage settings for RAM, core, cache, vccin?

Have you cleared CMOS and/or set everything to 'optimized defaults'? That makes a good common starting point.

Jeff

Jeff

Win 7 pro 64bit. 32 gig Corsair Vengeance 240 dimm DDR3 1600 (4x8gig). I will try clear CMOS as well. Going to remove Avast software as well. Thinking if trying total defense.

jacksragingbileduct wrote:
Win 7 pro 64bit. 32 gig Corsair Vengeance 240 dimm DDR3 1600 (4x8gig). I will try clear CMOS as well. Going to remove Avast software as well. Thinking if trying total defense.

Total Defense is garbage, GARBAGE I say! Use the Free 1 year of Kaspersky on the ASUS Driver Disk! BitDefender is the best but it conflicts with Asus AISuite. The standings are followed closely by NOD32/Kaspersky AV so KAV should be good for you. We protect over 10,000 PCs at work with the corporate endpoint protection.
Mobo: Rampage IV BE | CPU: i7-4930@4.5ghz Hexacore | RAM: 32GB Corsair V-Pro | GPU: 4xR9 290X Quadfire | PSU: eVGA P2 SuperNOVA 1000W\G2 850W | Chassis: NZXT Phantom 820 | Cooling: XSPC Raystorm CPU Block\4xEK 290X Block\2x Laing D5\XSPC Dual Bay Res\Phobya G-Changer 1080 External Rad\Alphacool 140UT60\XSPC AX360 | Fan Con: Lamptron CW611 | Tube: Primochill Adv. LRT Bloodshed Red | 3xCrossover 27" 2560x1440 Monitors | Build Log of Insanity