cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sabertooth z87 C2: issues with powering off

nicolaj
Level 7
Hi.
I've had this board for some months now, and i don't have any issues with it running.
But i do have problems powering off the board. I've updated to the latest bios, and i also reinstalled win7 a few days after installing the board.

1. The problem i have is when i shut down the machine, windows shuts down just fine but instead of powering off it just reboots the machine, when i shut it down the second time it usually powers off as it is supposed to.
2. However, sometimes it won't power of the cpu fan, and it'll keep on running, when that happens i can't turn the machine on with the power button because it's already on, so either i have to use the reset button, or hold down the power button to kill the board.

It's kinda annoying, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
12 REPLIES 12

curban422
Level 7
I have a similar issue as well. When I try to shutdown the pc the system doesn't shutdown. The tower stays on. I have to reset it then try to shutdown again. I just created a power off button on the desktop. Never have the issue with the shortcut button only when I choose start>shutdown. I have the latest bios 1803 so not sure if the issue's been resolved.

Praz
Level 13
Hello

This is an operating system, software or driver issue. Nothing that can or needs to be solved with a BIOS/UEFI update.

curban422
Level 7
I've done a clean install. Issue is still apparent. I installed all the necessary drivers off the disk or most current from the Asus website. Only games on this system. I have a second system I use for everything else.

I'm running into the same issue. I've tried the fixes of turning off fan overtime, and letting windows shut down USB power, but nothing has helped. The worst part is that it has gone from doing it randomly once every few weeks, to about every 3rd/4th shutdown now. Currently running the 1803 BIOS. Going to try the 1901 BIOS tonight and see if it helps anything, and then moving on to try the long, long list of other things.

Updated to BIOS 1901, reset CMOS, uninstalled AI Suite 3.... still getting the issue. Similar issues happen with a IEEE port (firewire) for others, but this is not listed in my Device Manager, so there's nothing for me to disable there. It happens on both a cold startup, and when the computer has been used for a while, but still nothing consistient, and never twice in a row. Starting to think it may be one of the Services running when I shut down. Any thoughts?

Wickman
Level 7
The issue in this thread has to do with Windows "fast startup" facility.
Deactivate it.

🙂

Laro6781
Level 7
Are you referring to the Fast Startup in Windows 8? I'm running Windows 7..... and disabling the one in the BIOS does nothing for me. I think I've narrowed it down to a Service causing the problem. I did a fresh install of 7 on a spare HDD, and had no problems with it, so now I'm just systematically disabling services till I can find out what one it is.

@Laro6781 Did u manage to achieve any success on this matter? Were u able to pinpoint the service causing the problem?

Kalimeru
Level 7
so... I think I managed to connect the issue with DaemonTools. For some reason I can't kill the process so I disabled it from the startup and the system now powers down correctly... gonna be testing a bit more but i'd like to know if anyone else who add this issue fond the same or other solutions.