cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G46VW Trackpad Chipsets

ha1o2surfer
Level 7
Quick question for everyone and I have a favor to ask 🙂

I have the G46VW with the Elantech based trackpad. To sum it up, it's HORRIBLE. It lags like crazy behind finger movement and has very low resolution so when trying to hit small buttons or select text, it can be a bit of a chore.

I was curious if everyone could check if they have the same elantech based trackpad or maybe there are some versions that have a different version with a synaptics based one. I am willing to replace the entire top keyboard assembly if that's what it takes. I hate the trackpad with a passion. Another note, installing the drivers only make it worse so I have stuck with the Windows 8 built in drivers. ( I am referring to Elantechs newest drivers as well as the ones on the Asus site for the G46VW) I know Asus's site doesn't have any other trackpad drivers listed but this is quite common. I have heard of 3 different revisions with different chipsets in Lenvo/Clevo and Dell laptops that just use the built in driver instead of it being listed as a download on the manufactures website.

Thanks everyone!

As a side note, I have been also looking for motherboards that have a thunderbolt chipset on ebay but I am doubting those exists..
G46VW (Now with THUNDERBOLT!!), 3840QM (overclocked, cTDP, 72w), Modded BIOS, 16GB, Samsung 750GB SSD, 1TB (Samsung mSATA) Liquid metal thermal paste
7 REPLIES 7

Djask
Level 7
I urge you to consider a device called a mouse. If not, is it for space reasons? I do agree that the trackpad is horrible, but AFAIK, I haven't found any alternatives, software and hardware wise.
Asus G46VW
i7 3630QM | 750GB Hard Drive | 1080p Full HD Display | Corsair Vengeance 16GB | GTX 660m | Windows 7 Ultimate

I use a mouse at my docking station at work and at my home office but since this laptop is my daily driver somtimes I use it as a *gasp* actual laptop which requires the trackpad........... lol 🙂

So you have an HD display? what revision of the motherboard do you have? (off topic)
G46VW (Now with THUNDERBOLT!!), 3840QM (overclocked, cTDP, 72w), Modded BIOS, 16GB, Samsung 750GB SSD, 1TB (Samsung mSATA) Liquid metal thermal paste

Djask
Level 7
I've actually got the first revision lol. The HD display, i bought myself off HIDevolution. I occasionally use the track pad as well, and the major let down is that it seems to travel in diagonal gridlines.
Asus G46VW
i7 3630QM | 750GB Hard Drive | 1080p Full HD Display | Corsair Vengeance 16GB | GTX 660m | Windows 7 Ultimate

Djask wrote:
I've actually got the first revision lol. The HD display, i bought myself off HIDevolution. I occasionally use the track pad as well, and the major let down is that it seems to travel in diagonal gridlines.

YES that is exactly what it does! haha 😛

Thanks for the info, I have been reading up a little on screen updates but I am debating whether I like the 768 screen or not. haha

Djask
Level 7
Well, the 1080p screen gives me a little more space to work with. I didn't mind the 768p, just that it was slightly limited in it's multitasking abilities. I'm actually debating on an SSD lol. I've been fine with the hard drive for a long time, but now, it's starting to feel a little bit too slow.
Asus G46VW

Djask wrote:
Well, the 1080p screen gives me a little more space to work with. I didn't mind the 768p, just that it was slightly limited in it's multitasking abilities. I'm actually debating on an SSD lol. I've been fine with the hard drive for a long time, but now, it's starting to feel a little bit too slow.

Just be careful, once you go SSD there is never going back.. 😉

One thing I am worried about with upgrading the screen is the power consumption. I idle around 6-7 watts on battery with my current screen at 50% brightness which gives me around 6-7 hours of web browsing and youtube.. I would had to kill it on a screen that only improves usable resolution. (I do all photo work on an external display so idc about colors too much)

Djask
Level 7
Well this is just my experience, but I honestly saw no decrease in battery life. But hey, your mileage may vary! 😉
Asus G46VW