cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time builder

0siris
Level 7
Hey everyone, just signed up here. Came to get feedback and advice from some of you experienced guys. Anyways, I'm wanting to build a new computer:

Budget: 2,000$. This price includes peripherals. I will be buying parts over a period of time, and hopefully I'll be able to catch some good deals.
Main uses of intended build: Gaming and normal web browsing.
Parts required: Below
Previous build information (list details of parts):

AMD Athlon(tm) 62 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+ 2.40 GHz
4.00 GB RAM
GeForce 7300 LE
(You can see why I am upgrading :rolleyes:)

Monitor resolution: 1920x1080
Storage requirements: 1TB should be fine for a while.
Will you be overclocking: I plan to overclock eventually. Nothing too serious, though.
Any motherboard requirements: SLI support would also be a thing I would like to do in the future.
Extra information about desired system: I want this to be a future-dependable build. Aesthetics is also a big thing with me.

----------------------

Parts:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3cqIS
It isn't on the part list, but I will possibly be using the Corsair H100i for cooling at a later time.
Also, if I wanted to do sleeved cables in my build; which cables would I need to buy?
For example, would these extensions work?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812162041

Oh, and one last thing - as for as the look of the build goes, does anyone have any opinions on weather or not I should do a red and black theme with the white case (Stryker) or red and black with the Windowed version of the Trooper. I like the white case, but at the same time I like the looks of a blended setup, which I think the black version of the case would do better with. So if anyone has opinions on that, I'de love to hear them.

Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9

kkn
Level 14
sorry to say but your list dont show.
corsairs psu's you can buy sleved cables.
i have the 1200i and i bought by mistake the non i cables. and those did not fit since its diffrend plugs on them ( psu side ).

0siris
Level 7
I think I fixed the list now, can you let me know if it shows up?

PowerOver9K
Level 9
You don't buy extensions for sleeved cables. You either A: Hire someone to sleeve the PSU for you. B. Buy a pre-sleeved PSU. C: Buy sleeving and sleeve it yourself or D. Buy sleeved cable kits which Corsair does make for the 1200i and eVGA is making in the next month for their P2/G2 lineup (NOT THE NEX)

Modular PSU cables are typically MALE on both ends. Extensions are female on one end and male on the other. They are an EXTENSION, exact as described, for extending the stock cables.

1. Fix your OS. You're not allowed to use OEM SKU on a computer you build for yourself. It violates the license agreement. Switch to retail SKU.
2. Black series western digital \ samsung evo drives. Nice nice. good good there.
3. K series i5 SKU, nice.
4. Don't waste your money on that mediocre air cooler. Just get the h100i straight out of the gate.
5. I really don't see any other blatant issues with the build.
Mobo: Rampage IV BE | CPU: i7-4930@4.5ghz Hexacore | RAM: 32GB Corsair V-Pro | GPU: 4xR9 290X Quadfire | PSU: eVGA P2 SuperNOVA 1000W\G2 850W | Chassis: NZXT Phantom 820 | Cooling: XSPC Raystorm CPU Block\4xEK 290X Block\2x Laing D5\XSPC Dual Bay Res\Phobya G-Changer 1080 External Rad\Alphacool 140UT60\XSPC AX360 | Fan Con: Lamptron CW611 | Tube: Primochill Adv. LRT Bloodshed Red | 3xCrossover 27" 2560x1440 Monitors | Build Log of Insanity

0siris
Level 7
What exactly do you mean with SKU? And thanks for the info on the cables.

I looked up what SKU was, but it didn't really explain what it was..

0siris wrote:
What exactly do you mean with SKU? And thanks for the info on the cables.

I looked up what SKU was, but it didn't really explain what it was..

it has to say RETAIL in the line item not OEM.
Mobo: Rampage IV BE | CPU: i7-4930@4.5ghz Hexacore | RAM: 32GB Corsair V-Pro | GPU: 4xR9 290X Quadfire | PSU: eVGA P2 SuperNOVA 1000W\G2 850W | Chassis: NZXT Phantom 820 | Cooling: XSPC Raystorm CPU Block\4xEK 290X Block\2x Laing D5\XSPC Dual Bay Res\Phobya G-Changer 1080 External Rad\Alphacool 140UT60\XSPC AX360 | Fan Con: Lamptron CW611 | Tube: Primochill Adv. LRT Bloodshed Red | 3xCrossover 27" 2560x1440 Monitors | Build Log of Insanity

nvm

Chino
Level 15
I made a few changes to accomodate the H100i in and still be within your budget. See if you like it.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($98.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($198.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($83.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($329.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($159.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($176.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VS238H-P 23.0" Monitor ($134.99 @ NCIX US)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 37.9 CFM 120mm Fans ($24.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K50 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Wired Optical Mouse ($74.89 @ Amazon)
Headphones: Logitech G930 7.1 Channel Headset ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1997.71

kkn
Level 14
here is a example of corsair sleved cables, this is green but they have other colors.
just as you can see what they can look like : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G1E29349

PowerOver9K wrote:
Buy sleeved cable kits which Corsair does make for the 1200i and eVGA is making in the next month for their P2/G2 lineup (NOT THE NEX)

corsair have sleeved cables to the NON i PSU's too......................
that i know becouse i bought non I sleeved cables to my 1200i PSU.
i to tought it was the i PSU's only and ended up getting to the non i series.

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
A few other case ideas for you:

Corsair c70 Vengeance

Cooler Master CM 690

Edit: I use the white Corsair c70, and while I will spring for a bigger CaseLabs case one day, I am quite pleased with this one overall - design (including usability, size/space availability, and aesthetics), airflow, etc).