cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

500 GB Samsung 840 Evo, G-Skill Rip Jaws 16 GB Woo Hoo!

KohDuh
Level 7
This is my very first SSD, ever! I'm a little anxious and excited to say the least. I've upgraded from 5400 RPM to 7200 RPM before,… As a clean install.
I've never dealt with cloning software before. I'm going to need a little direction and guidance with this if anybody is willing to help.
This is what I plan to do in this exact order, please let me know if I'm missing something or if I need to reorder what I do to make it the smoothness transfer possible.

• Utilize the recovery option that came preinstalled on my G75VX; Reinstall Windows and format option.
  • Update my chipset driver.
  • Update video card driver.
  • Update network card driver.
  • Windows update.
  • Plugging new SSD drive via USB-to-SATA and utilize cloning software.
  • Install SSD into drive bay 1 and move preinstalled 5400 RPM into drive bay 2.
  • Press F2 on reboot changing the boot device to the SSD.
  • Disk management; deleting all volumes on 5400 RPM drive… Then creating a new volume and formatting.
  • Installing new memory sticks. (Do I need to go into the bios to make sure they're running at 1600 MHz, or… Will it automatically boot and load into that speed?).
  • Enjoy my new speed.

Sounds and looks simple enough, but… I've read a lot of horror stories with people trying to upgrade their hardware.
Any thoughts, tips, techniques, tricks, feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Rob
7 REPLIES 7

StereoROG
Level 7
You dont need to do anything regarding your RAM upgrade just install them and thats it you can check in the bios just to make sure it is reading the 16gb other than that you dont have much options there.

Regarding your step by step guid it looks pretty good make sure you do the recovery partition backup just in case.

Enjoy the speed its going to be awesome!!! 🙂

KohDuh
Level 7
I ran into a problem.
I reinstalled and formatted.
When the drive arrived, no "SATA-to-USB" cable. 😞
Went ahead and installed the extra memory without any problems.

SSD is sitting in drive bay 1, not recognized by Win 8.1 64bit.

Installed Samsung Magician.

Now what?!

I would install Macrium Reflect and clone with your old drive in Port1 and your new SSD in port 0 no need for a USB adapter
See this thread for guides and all your options.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Okay, I was able to clone it semi-successfully. (I say "semi", because I don't know what I'm doing 😛 ).
Here's a screen cap.

It only copied over 1 recovery partition.
Do I need the others? In order to go back to the factory settings?!

rewben
Level 13
hi @KohDuh, first read this carefully (cloning using Macrium Reflect). due to the capacity difference between the stock drive and new ssd, the steps involved shrinking of OS drive (C:) to a reasonable size before actual cloning was done. (apparently this is you case)

honestly, please don't get too excite and wipe your stock drive so soon. keep it until everything is fine with the new ssd. (it's always safer to keep the stock drive in its working state for some times until you're comfortable with the new setup)

imo the best method with a new drive, with minimal hassles, is still a clean install.

KohDuh
Level 7
I changed the boot option in the bios to ssd as my boot option 1 and deleted hdd boot option 2.

Theoretically, my laptop "should" be booting from the ssd now, right?!

I'm more than fairly confident, I did everything "minimally" correct to have a functional laptop...

I cannot seem to format my hdd - drive C:
SSD was auto-magically named drive H:
Both C: and H: have OS

Ideas?

rewben - too late - already unallocated spaced what I could. Just won't let me format.

Well then looks like you'll have to clean install Win 8.1 no point in going with 8 then upgrading. Proceed with the directions in Rewbens thread with only your SSD installed. In your BIOS disable secure boot, and enable CSM. Create a UEFI Bootable installation media with a 8.1 Core ISO. use Rufus to create your USB Install media. Here is a link for how to=Installation and Setup"] download an win 8.1 ISO
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro