cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Five Reasons Skyrim is Going to Make You its Bitch

MissKokane
Level 12
I found this article on xbox360.ign.com and thought it's worth sharing :D.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Say goodbye to your spare time come November.

Skyrim is like the John Romero of RPGs: it's going to make you its bitch. Even though 2011's end of year release schedule is as over-encumbered with AAA titles as any holiday season before it – what with the likes of Batman: Arkham City, Uncharted 3, and the twin towers of Modern Warfare 3 and Battlefield 3 all ready to grab your spare time by the balls and squeeze – Skyrim has the size and scope to banish the other big names on your shopping list to a state of shrink-wrapped suspended animation well into the new year. It might be January before you take any other game off the shelf, as you'll be too busy slaying dragons in Bethesda's latest epic.

We sat down with Skyrim's Lead Producer Craig Lafferty, who detailed five reasons why The Elder Scrolls V is going to make you forget about the concept of fresh air.

1. The story is yours to dictate
The open-ended nature of the Elder Scrolls series has been somewhat of a double-edged sword in the past. While the lack of hand-holding and clear story objectives in Morrowind – and to a slightly lesser extent Oblivion – brought a sense of liberation to some, it also spelt intimidation to others who struggled for a sense of purpose without obvious checkpoint markers dragging them through the narrative. It's something that Bethesda is certainly aware of, but the developer is only making some slight tweaks to its open-ended formula.

"I don't know if we're concerned about it," says lead producer Craig Lafferty. "We'd certainly like for people to be able to finish the games. We've gotten better at sort of guiding the player along – almost like the carrot on the stick – guiding them towards how to finish the main quest. But really we make these huge open world games so you can go where you want, be what you want, play what you want, so if you don't ever finish [the main quest] but you're still having a great time then that's fine too. We've heard stories of players playing 200-300 hours of our previous games without ever finishing the core narrative."

At least 100 of those hours will be spent staring enigmatically into the distance.

One of these 'carrots on the stick' is the new Clairvoyance spell that draws a path along the ground to your next objective. Another nice feature of the game is the dynamic class system, which essentially means your character will level up and evolve in an organic manner depending on your actions – so you can just pursue the things that you're interested in and your character will automatically mould to your style, eliminating the need to get bogged down spending stat points.

2. There's an insane amount of things to do and see
One of the best aspects of Oblivion was its abundance of water-cooler moments – because there was so much to see and do off the beaten path, there was always plenty to talk about with friends who were playing the same game at the same time but in an entirely different way. Like that time you became a vampire, or when your friend happened upon a body floating in a stream with a suicide note tucked into his pocket. Then there was that quest – 'A Brush With Death' - that transported you into a painting in search of a missing artist. It was a watercolour water-cooler moment!

"There's definitely lots more stuff like that," says Lafferty. "We don't want to give anything specific away to spoil it, but we've got a big open world to go anywhere and do whatever you want, on top of the main quest which is about 30 hours long. We still have the guilds – so the mage's guild, the thieves' guild, the fighters' guild, those are back. The mage's guild takes place in the College of Winterhold. So we have that as well as 150 handcrafted dungeons, and probably over 500 individual activities to do in the world so there's a lot of that as well as the main focus of the story."

3. The dragons are never-ending
Dragons are the big bosses of Skyrim and the battles with them appear to be suitably intense – at least if the climactic encounter in the game's E3 demo is anything to go by. You can use magic to summon electrical storms to combat them in the air, and when you inflict enough damage upon them they'll crash to the ground with all the heft of a mythical jumbo jet – carving out deep grooves in the earth and churning up dust and topsoil as their hulking bodies grind to a halt. Then once they're dead, you consume their souls and inherit their power. But the dragons will always come back.

"They're not limited, they're like any other creature in the game, they're not scripted – you can come across them as you play through the world but they don't go away," explains Lafferty. "It's not like you can defeat all of the dragons and they'll cease to exist – they'll always be there in the game. And they're also a central focus to the story – it's the first Elder Scrolls game with dragons - and you're dragon born, you can speak the language of the dragon. So it's just trying to figure out why the dragons are back, why they're special and how does that play out in the world?"

4. Dragons won't necessarily all be your enemy
Are all of the dragons in the mythical land of Skyrim evil, or will you be able to tame them for the purposes of fighting alongside you? Bethesda is keeping tight-lipped on the subject for now.

"We're not really getting into a whole lot of specifics about that," says Lafferty. "But they're not all out to kill you, let's just put it that way."

Thus we're willing to bet that there will be friendly fire-breathers to summon using one of your 'dragon shouts' – calling on a friendly dragon to fight an enemy dragon would be the definition of fighting fire with fire. Plus the game's mountains look like they'd take an absolute dragon age to ascend on foot or horseback, but on the back of a saddled dragon it could be a short flight to the summit. It's probably unlikely, but mountable dragons as DLC would definitely have us opening our virtual wallets post-release. How about it, Bethesda?

We wonder what the view is like from up there?

5. The world of Skyrim sure beats your boring real life
The map of Skyrim is said to be roughly the same size as Cyrodiil in Oblivion, but thanks to a complete overhaul of the game engine since then Skyrim is infinitely more detailed and lush in appearance, with an incredible draw distance that doesn't just extend out into the horizon but upward to the peaks of the towering mountains that loom large over the landscape.

"We made Oblivion and then Fallout 3 on the current gen of consoles, so we've learned a lot more about how to bring a lot out of the current systems," says Lafferty. "So now we have a new UI system, a new animation system, a new renderer, the radiant story and then the world itself, so all these things kind of combine and as a result the world of Skyrim really feels like a solid place you can get lost in."

Just how much is there to do and see in Skyrim? With 280 perks to unlock, five major cities to explore, over 300 books to find, 150 unique dungeons to loot and some 500 individual activities to indulge in, it would truly appear that the sky is the limit.
28 REPLIES 28

G4MER
Level 9
Sorry, I am already my wife's Bitch. This game will have to get in line.. and its a long line. 😉
WINNER Of: iBUYPOWER / ASUS - GAMER PALADIN Z68

CPU - 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2600K Processor
MoBo - Maximus IV Extreme-Z
ODD - BLU-RAY Reader Combo Drive
PSU - 850W Extreme Gaming Series Power Supply
VGA - ASUS GTX 570 DirectCU II (1 GB)
Memory - 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory – Corsair Vengeance
Audio - ASUS Xonar DX
Networking - Killer 2100 Gaming Network Card
Hard Drive - 60GB SSD SATA III 6Gb/s – Single Drive

( I WAS A G4MER, WHEN G4MING WAS UNCOOL )

Retired
Not applicable
lol well it just goes to show that the game will be a huge time suck, I am just trying to get threw all the Vegas expansions in time now...

Br4nd3n
Level 9
I've been an Elder Scrolls bitch since they started. When they got 3d with Morrowind a piece of my life was depleted, when it got epic with Oblivion more of my life was depleted, and my life is already depleting from Skyrim before I've even had a chance to play it.
| Asus G74Sx-A1 | GeForce GTX 560m 3gb GDDR5 |
| 16Gb 1333Mhz DDR3 Ram | 2630QM I7-Quad Core |
| BluRay + Bluetooth | 2x 750gb Sata HDD Drives |

Br4nd3n wrote:
I've been an Elder Scrolls bitch since they started. When they got 3d with Morrowind a piece of my life was depleted, when it got epic with Oblivion more of my life was depleted, and my life is already depleting from Skyrim before I've even had a chance to play it.

Nah, your avatar betrays your TES slavery. I see the hand on you...she owns you! 😉
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Nah, your avatar betrays your TES slavery. I see the hand on you...she owns you! 😉

Yeah, I agree with xer0. On a related note, holy crap I am so excited for Skyrim it's unbelievable! If no one sees me around the forum for a while starting 11/11/11, you know this is why!
New member? Introduce yourself here, learn a little of what we are about here, and refer to some simple rules here.
Though typically not required or enforced, here is a list of guidelines on proper forum etiquette.
[Work in progress]
The Crosshair GENE will come! - Show your support HERE!
SYSTEM SPECS

chrsplmr
Level 18
Nobody'z Get'n Dog'd Here... (Do I really have to say it? hahaha)....We R O G ...Here. Step Up...We have been waiting for you.

I opened up an XBox once, a Commadore64 fell out.

Thank You for sharing..Sooner or Later we have to get a game worth the $$$.

G4MER
Level 9
Hey IMMORTALS also comes out on 11/11/11.. cool! A Movie and a new game to play.. SWEET!
WINNER Of: iBUYPOWER / ASUS - GAMER PALADIN Z68

CPU - 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2600K Processor
MoBo - Maximus IV Extreme-Z
ODD - BLU-RAY Reader Combo Drive
PSU - 850W Extreme Gaming Series Power Supply
VGA - ASUS GTX 570 DirectCU II (1 GB)
Memory - 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory – Corsair Vengeance
Audio - ASUS Xonar DX
Networking - Killer 2100 Gaming Network Card
Hard Drive - 60GB SSD SATA III 6Gb/s – Single Drive

( I WAS A G4MER, WHEN G4MING WAS UNCOOL )

Morrowwind sucked, Oblivion sucked, and I expect no less from Skyrim.

I'll patiently wait for Diablo 3 and actually play something FUN.

Besides, I played WoW for over 5 years and I've fought my share of dragons 🙂
Intel i7-2600k 3.4Ghz (no overclock yet)
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z
8GB (4GBx2) GSKILL Ripjaws F3-14900CL9D
Corsair 850AX Power Supply
2 x Intel 510 Series 120GB SSD
1 x WD 1TB SATA 3 HD
Corsair H100 CPU Water Cooler
1 x ASUS ENGTX580 DCII Video Card
Dual Monitor Setup Main: Samsung T260HD, 2nd: Samsung 213T
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit SP1

Howlingmine wrote:
Morrowwind sucked, Oblivion sucked, and I expect no less from Skyrim.

I'll patiently wait for Diablo 3 and actually play something FUN.

Besides, I played WoW for over 5 years and I've fought my share of dragons 🙂

D-8<

Negative Nancy! Virtually no game will satisfy everyone, you don't have to hurt Bethesda's feelings! 😞
New member? Introduce yourself here, learn a little of what we are about here, and refer to some simple rules here.
Though typically not required or enforced, here is a list of guidelines on proper forum etiquette.
[Work in progress]
The Crosshair GENE will come! - Show your support HERE!
SYSTEM SPECS