cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R9 290x DC2OC EK water block, warranty void if used

jpinconline
Level 7
I bought my new 290x DC2OC video card with the intention of putting the Custom EK waterblock on it. I noticed that the card has a warranty void sticker over one of the screws to remove the heat sink. I contacted ASUS and they verified that removing the heat sink regardless of whether any damage is done to the card or not, the warranty will be voided. If I had known this I would not have bought an ASUS card. I don't understand how they can advertise the custom EK block for the card here on the ROG website and then void your warranty for using it. This is my 2nd card because the first one had "magic smoke" after two weeks, so I am super concerned about needing my warranty. Does anyone have any experience with this? Has anyone removed the warranty void sticker and had their RMA go through?
4 REPLIES 4

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Does it say "warranty void if removed" anywhere? anywhere on the card or in the box? I presume not since those screws are exposed and the sticker may come off accidentally....mine has for example

jpinconline
Level 7
I see what you mean. That is a good point.

My question is that if you void the warranty and need a repair, can you pay for the repair? I purchased a Sapphire R9 290x and they refuse to repair any cards that have had the stock cooler removed, even if I pay. I am OK with having to pay if I violate ASUS policy but I want to avoid the problem that I have with Sapphire, an un-repairable GPU.

I purchase a new ASUS R9 290x Directcu ii today and hope that if I changed the stock cooler and void the warranty, I could get it repaired, at my cost, if it broke?

Henkenator68NL
Level 13
If you do any waterblock on whatever part...

Always warranty is VOID. but If you keep the stock cooler, all mounting stuff. In case some defect (THAT IS NOT WATERCOOLING RELATED, like leaks and further below mentioned damage) arises. Other damage that are user inducesld stuff scratched , over tightened srcews, cracked pcb, water stains or corrosion.

So if other defects may arise: Remove waterblock, really good and thoroughly clean everything, put back the stock cooler (tim applied, orininal thermal pads). Send it in for RMA, if no clear damage (as mentioned) you have good chance that RMA is no problem.