cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with diag on fairly new build. Graphics issue [R9-290x/4770k/Maximus 6]

isocuda
Level 7
Hi everyone, So a few months back I finally used the rainy day fund to build a desktop from the ground up.
I've had plenty of computers, but I'm rusty. Mostly laptops since my IBM Aptiva days when I was a kid.

So far things have been seemingly fine including the usual "am I sure this is the right driver" and etc.

I've been running everything stock since i built it last month and want to sort any simple bugs out now before i mess around.
That said I'm getting screen tearing like crazy anytime Vsync is off in any game. Not a big deal, for most of my games Vsync isn't problem, but some that are not perfectly coded (Payday 2 via steam) Vsync turns into a lagfest and a half.

Titanfall runs fine if you ignore the consistent microstturer I get regardless of Vsync being on or off.
(this only seems to happen with strafing from side to side)
I see a similar effect on panning shots in Netflix.

I figure I might have made a mistake somewhere or forgot to do something, but I'd greatly appreciate any insight you guys with more experience might have. Finding information is hit or miss through google, plus I became considerably more concerned knowing that my card running Payday 2 on max setting @ 1440p runs smooth for other people with "lower spec" components, but is choppy on my setup with 1080p. I feel as if maybe there is a driver conflict or some other bottle neck.

Build specs

Maximus VI Formula w/4770k
- BIOS 1402
32gb(4x8) Corsair Vengeance 2133hz [ CMZ32GX3M4A2133C10 ]
- Set to XMP map
ROG/Asus R9 290X DirectCU II OC [ R9290X-DC2OC-4GD5 ]
- BIOS Version 015.041.000.002
- Catalyst 13.12 (Driver version says 13.251.0.0)
Windows 8.1 Pro on the Samsung 840 Pro
-Magician 4.3 RAPID mode
Corsair ax760 PSU

Output through HDMI from GPU
to a
Yamaha RX-V375 5.1(all silly features off)
to a
Panasonic TC-P50S1 1080p60 Plasma (again all silly features off)

Case is a Corsair 540 with a 212 cooler, fans rarely come off idle which tells me it's a setup issue if the computer isn't struggling. Wiggle test doesn't change anything so far. I'll list any additional info if needed.

If you can't tell I'm a former mechanic and I'm used to starting with the simple things first, but I'm not exactly sure were I should be looking right now.

Thanks in advance for any info.

-Shaun

UPDATE: I noticed the config.ini for Payday 2 was showing Vsync at 23 lol, I went in to fix it only to find out the update for that dropped an hour previous to me finding it. The game is now certainly playable and doesn't not show input lag or as much choppy motion.
That said, before the update I noticed the choppy stutter sometimes went away if I let the game sit running for a few minutes, this worked until I moved towards a new part of the map.

UPDATE #2: Memory checks out fine, but a friend mentioned USB/HID as a posible issue...
3 REPLIES 3

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
isocuda wrote:
So a few months back I finally used the rainy day fund to build a desktop from the ground up.

Excellent!

Looking at your rig I can't see anything that would spell trouble...have you tried Memtest86+ on the memory just to make sure it's firing on all cylinders?

The only thing is the TV as display...I have seen quite a few threads where people are having problems driving TVs and I can't figure out why...they try a monitor and problems go away...

One thing to check(not rekated to any problem but more to power consumption and voltage for the CPU)...magician might set high performance power plan and might be running your CPU at full whack constantly, instead of you being able to take advantage of speedstep....maybe check the power plan and set "minimum processor state" to 10% if it's at 100%...

Your temperatures OK?

isocuda
Level 7
I'll look into that in the morning along with Prime and Memtest. The only things I've felt iffy about is running 32gb when 1150 only supports 2 channels and RAPID is nice, but i don't need 1.3~1.0Gbs transfer speeds.

I was also thinking about hooking up an old monitor to it once I can grab it from my friend.

Temps seem to be fine normally.
Heaven benchmark it barely pushes 60 C.
Highest temp i've got was goofing around in Next Car Game (spawning as many objects as i could for ten minutes) and it was the GPU temp hitting 81.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yeah, but you've done the right thing...got one quad channel kit and that should run OK as two dual channel kits....

Those temps seem fine!