cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about upcoming ROG Swift PG278Q 27-inch WQHD G-Sync Gaming Monitor

Pegabee
Level 7
Hi guys

I am about to buy a new monitor for my rig and I am more than excited about the upcoming G-Sync ROG monitor from ASUS
Finally one that comes with WQHD

Tough I have a big question about connectivity. Since this monitor only has display port I am not sure If I could use it with any other device than my Win 8.1 desktop. If I use an HDMI to Display converter would I be able to use this screen (obviously without the G-Sync) to hook up a Macbook and a PS3 ? Basically just want to know if the screen would display any image from these devices or it would stay black ?

It is important for me to have multiple devices using the same monitor but since not all of them have display ports I need to figure something else... If this monitor is a no go, then what else would you recommend for gaming / multipurpose ? I am looking at least WQHD resolution

Thanks for the tip in advance
4 REPLIES 4

Pegabee
Level 7
Any1 maybe with some insights on this ?

thanks

Pegabee wrote:
Any1 maybe with some insights on this ?

thanks

Neither of those machines would reach the minimum FPS for Gsync on the Swift to work.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

For Gsync to work the signal would have to come from an Nvidia GPU is my understanding and as long as you are above 30fps the technology delivers.

Of course connecting other devices to the monitor via DP will work just without Gsync if not an Nvidia GPU. If you can get an adapter from HDMI to DP then I imagine it works like any other display...I doubt the Gsync module blocks any input not from Nvidia....

EDIT: and it doesn't... you can still use any input to the DP and you will have display...even an AMD GPU 😉

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
For Gsync to work the signal would have to come from an Nvidia GPU is my understanding and as long as you are above 30fps the technology delivers.

Of course connecting other devices to the monitor via DP will work just without Gsync if not an Nvidia GPU. If you can get an adapter from HDMI to DP then I imagine it works like any other display...I doubt the Gsync module blocks any input not from Nvidia....

EDIT: and it doesn't... you can still use any input to the DP and you will have display...even an AMD GPU 😉

Technically you can Gsync with an AMD.
Just tweak the monitor a bit to enable VBLANK without Gsync, and boom. Variable refresh rate.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me