cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally overclocking. :c

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Hello, I've always been against overclocking, worrying that I'd bust my chips..

BUT lately I've heard overclocking your haswell can actually make it more efficient, reducing temperatures and boosts it's speed. Not sure about the GPU though. But willing to do both.

Anyhow, what're the safest parameters to 'over clock' my machine to? I wouldn't mind getting that nice 10-15% performance boost like people say.

I have all the programs.. I just don't want to follow the guide since it's for a G750JW. So help for CPU and GPU for G750JX

Also kept screenshots of all my scores from PCMark7, RealBench and NovaBench.

hmscott? ;d
17 REPLIES 17

Dream
Level 7
You can overclock the CPU to 3.6ghz using Intel XTU and under-volt it in the process for cooler temps. I think 3.6 is the max right now, but that could change. Do a quick search for the guide.

I would be more careful with the GPU. IMO installing new drivers direct from Nvidia boosts the performance enough as compared to the stock drivers from ASUS.

The fans are excellent on the G750 though.

Also, I don't think anyone has been able to modify the GPU boost feature on our cards as of yet, which might yield a lot of gains if and when someone can.

Don't quote me on that, not an expert.
ASUS G750JX-TB71

• CPU: i7-4700HQ @ 2.40 GHz.
  • Graphics: GeForce GTX 770M 3 GB GDDR5 RAM
  • Screen: 17.3' Full HD Matte Screen @ 100Hz
  • Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz. RAM 2x8
  • Storage: 500GB SSD 850 EVO + 750GB HDD @ 7200rpm
  • TC: IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Dream wrote:
You can overclock the CPU to 3.6ghz using Intel XTU and under-volt it in the process for cooler temps. I think 3.6 is the max right now, but that could change. Do a quick search for the guide.

I would be more careful with the GPU. IMO installing new drivers direct from Nvidia boosts the performance enough as compared to the stock drivers from ASUS.

The fans are excellent on the G750 though.

Also, I don't think anyone has been able to modify the GPU boost feature on our cards as of yet, which might yield a lot of gains if and when someone can.

Don't quote me on that, not an expert.

Thanks Dreamy! :3

I had already just OC'ed the CPU to this guide
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?38049-Guide-for-Overclocking-Maximum-Stability-amp-Performa....

Might revert back from having a few issues, or might just up the voltage to -50, instead of -70.

Darnassus wrote:
Thanks Dreamy! :3

I had already just OC'ed the CPU to this guide
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?38049-Guide-for-Overclocking-Maximum-Stability-amp-Performa....

Might revert back from having a few issues, or might just up the voltage to -50, instead of -70.

My JH would only do -20mV when new, and now I have it at -25mV stable. On the bright side, the cooling is so much better on the JH that it runs the CPU 10C-20C cooler already, so I didn't feel too bad that I went from -100mV on the JW and -75mW on the JX to -20mV on the JH. 🙂

Here are 3 profiles to use as a starting point. The first is -50mV at default for the rest of the settings (No OC) - it's not stable on my JH - but worked great on the JW/JX. The 2nd is a -20mV + Max OC which was stable on my JH as new. And, the 3rd is a -25mV + Max OC which I use now.

-50mV No OC

-20mV + Max OC

-25mV + Max OC

I don't think there is a correlation between JW/JX/JH and undervolting capability of the Haswell CPU, it just worked out that way for me. It is up to the specific Haswell CPU, not the G750 model type

You can try on your own laptop by starting at -100mV, and drop down by 20mV until you are stable, or increase by 5mV until you become unstable. Or start lower and work up till it is unstable, depends on your own sensitivities 🙂

Have fun!

angrylemon
Level 10
I used that guide to OC my GPU and CPU recently and have had no issues. I just left my GPU at 900Mhz and 5000Mhz (maxes out at 70 degrees and gave a bit of a performance boost while gaming), anything over those Mhz and the temps were bypassing 70 degrees.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
I hear people say 135+. And I just worked out, that from 797 MHz, 135+ is 932. Which is basically the max of the 'safe zone'. And the memory to 5,000 or 5,600.

Do I touch the other things like the GPU voltage, refresh and frame limit?

The 'gaming' mode apparently has higher GPU voltage.

sasuke256
Level 7
you dont touch to voltage or anything else 🙂
Laptop : ASUS G750JW : i7 4700HQ - 16Gb - 2Tb HDD - GTX 765M OC (+135/500) - Full HD Matte - Win 8.1
Retiered : Toshiba L670 i5 560M/8Gb Corsair/1TB/HD5650 1Gb @ 625/800 /WD 1Tb USB3/Win7

Darnassus
Status Under Review
hmscott? x'{

Darnassus wrote:
hmscott? x'{

Darnassus, I think all your questions were answered by the ROG G750 Forum Team, I am just watching 🙂

The CPU temps on the JW/JH are normal/safe even into the 90+C range. -100mV+ under-volting takes the temp's down into the 80+C range.

The CPU will "heat throttle" to protect itself, and it is rare to hear of anyone able to do that.

A couple posters had actual bad paste jobs - heat throttling was happening even during normal operation. If you see that then get an RMA.

The JW GPU memory OC was epic, the JX didn't take as high of a memory OC, but was faster than the JW at stock and OC.

Best Stable OC at 5254 - some things were only stable at 5200 - Like Heavens Gate

5000 is where I ran it most of the time:

During Battlefield 4 Beta First Viewing Session 🙂

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Yeah so I did the -70 voltage and upped the multiplier as of the guide. I hope it doesn't make my Haswell break anytime soon.

I also did the GPU tweak the same as Angrylemon, 900 MHz and 5000MHz on the memory

My RealBench went up a rough 4,750 points to a total of 62074.

CPU hit 82*C Motherboard hit 84.
GPU never went above 57

I swear my CPU isn't pasted properly or something..