Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

First of all, thank you all for suggestions and your answers. Sadly, I don't think the problem is with power outlet, since I've tried on several, and it happened on all! So, my guessing is, it's either the adapter that is causing problems, or maybe the needle that goes into the laptop (I've read lot of people had issues with those) Anyways, specific part where it happened three times in a row was when I was configuring graphics for Splinter Cell Conviction, when I put it on 16x anti-aliasing and do "apply" power goes off?! But, when I insert battery and do it, I just get reduced brightness (I use 80% brightness when on battery), so I'm guessing it switches to battery power, then after few seconds, I get full power connection back. That was the part laptop shuts down if no battery is inserted. On Monday, that is tomorrow, courier service should pick it up, take it to ASUS support center where they'll do the checkup and see, hopefully fix, what ever the problem might be! (Since I still have the warranty, I'd rather give it to them) Once more, thank you all!

ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array hmscott PC Specs
    hmscott PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G750JH-DB71 (legacy)
    MotherboardAsus G750JH Intel HM87
    ProcessorIntel i7-4700HQ XTU Cores 36x/35x/34x/34x Cache 36x -50mV undervolt
    Memory (part number)Hyundai Electronics HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 1.35v DDR3L-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia 780m Asus GPU Tweak OC 932mhz/6300mhz
    Sound CardRealtek v6.0.1.7469 driver
    MonitorAUO B173HW02 V1 Custom Refresh 85hz
    Storage #1RAID0 2x M.2 SATA Crucial MX200 512GB CT500MX200SSD6
    Storage #2Crucial 512GB 2.5" MX200 CT500MX200SSD1
    Power Supply230w AC Power Adapter 19.5v
    Keyboard Logitech k400 Wireless KB/Trackpad
    Headset Sony MDR-XB500 Wired and Sennheiser RS-220 Wireless TOSLINK
    OS Windows 8.1 + 8 Linux VM's + Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U DLINK DIR-655

Quote Originally Posted by Selturus View Post
    First of all, thank you all for suggestions and your answers. Sadly, I don't think the problem is with power outlet, since I've tried on several, and it happened on all! So, my guessing is, it's either the adapter that is causing problems, or maybe the needle that goes into the laptop (I've read lot of people had issues with those) Anyways, specific part where it happened three times in a row was when I was configuring graphics for Splinter Cell Conviction, when I put it on 16x anti-aliasing and do "apply" power goes off?! But, when I insert battery and do it, I just get reduced brightness (I use 80% brightness when on battery), so I'm guessing it switches to battery power, then after few seconds, I get full power connection back. That was the part laptop shuts down if no battery is inserted. On Monday, that is tomorrow, courier service should pick it up, take it to ASUS support center where they'll do the checkup and see, hopefully fix, what ever the problem might be! (Since I still have the warranty, I'd rather give it to them) Once more, thank you all!
    Selturus, are you sending just the power supply, or both the power supply and computer? It looks like it is the power supply not putting out enough current -- if you have someone nearby that has a G750 power supply you could save yourself some time without the computer and determine the source of the problem yourself before sending in the bad component.

And, if you find it is the power adapter, ask Asus to ship a replacement first, and return your bad when when the new one arrives - after you make sure the new one works!

Finessing the order of events might prevent you from being without a computer for a few days, or longer.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out

Did you see this thread?:
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...l=1#post386535

Did you check the system event logs to see if you have a system error logged at the power fail event?
    Last edited by hmscott; 03-23-2014 at 09:48 PM.

ROG Member Array

Could the bad grounds in the bricks be related to the apparent ground issues with the touchpads? If it is just a brick swap to fix that issue I'll be much relieved instead of sending my whole kit in for warranty. I haven't noticed power supply problems but touchpad ground issues seem typical. Anyone with both issues? Anyone with resolved touchpad issues once the brick was replaced?

hmscott PC Specs

Quote Originally Posted by Doublenn View Post
    Could the bad grounds in the bricks be related to the apparent ground issues with the touchpads? If it is just a brick swap to fix that issue I'll be much relieved instead of sending my whole kit in for warranty. I haven't noticed power supply problems but touchpad ground issues seem typical. Anyone with both issues? Anyone with resolved touchpad issues once the brick was replaced?
    That is what I think too Doublenn, and just so you know it is possible, both the power adapter that came with my G750JH and the one I bought from the Asus US eStore have good grounds, and don't cause a jumpy trackpad.

Here is where I bought the 2nd adapter:
    http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?..._detail&p=6517
    Last edited by hmscott; 03-24-2014 at 12:28 AM.

ROG Member Array

Thanks! I'll check it out, wish me luck.

ROG Member Array

Hello guys, just wanted to inform you that the problem with my asus g750jh was the POWER BOARD. Just called to check on the progress and did they discover anything wrong with it, they told me it is on waiting, that new power board is ordered from abroad. Service should last for another 7 days, so im hoping that Ill get it back next wednesday! Ill keep you all updated if anything else comes up!

hmscott PC Specs

Quote Originally Posted by Selturus View Post
    Hello guys, just wanted to inform you that the problem with my asus g750jh was the POWER BOARD. Just called to check on the progress and did they discover anything wrong with it, they told me it is on waiting, that new power board is ordered from abroad. Service should last for another 7 days, so im hoping that Ill get it back next wednesday! Ill keep you all updated if anything else comes up!
    Thanks for reporting back Selturus, good to know it was an easy / quick fix

ROG Member Array

I just sorted out a ground fault issue with my G750. Symptom was a glitching touchpad. My system had no issues, however I did discover a much more serious problem with my house wiring, and the whole building isn't grounded. Glad to know that the computer is working ok, but worried that the ground fault has or could damage it. Also, ASUS support seemed oblivious to this problem/symptom or how to troubleshoot it. Thankfully ASUS customers are better informed. Thanks guys!

hmscott PC Specs

Quote Originally Posted by Doublenn View Post
    I just sorted out a ground fault issue with my G750. Symptom was a glitching touchpad. My system had no issues, however I did discover a much more serious problem with my house wiring, and the whole building isn't grounded. Glad to know that the computer is working ok, but worried that the ground fault has or could damage it. Also, ASUS support seemed oblivious to this problem/symptom or how to troubleshoot it. Thankfully ASUS customers are better informed. Thanks guys!
    Cool

It is a prevalent problem, and most people don't notice it, until it causes a problem like this.

As a HAM since my early years, I have worked to reduce interference / static / ground loops many times, and have pounded in many ground rods salted and soaked for weeks ahead to get a good ground - makes a big difference.

You are probably fine on the damage thought, there isn't a path drawn through critical parts, just the case / touchpad differential.

There are lots of good articles on bringing in a ground, google is your friend, and you may find a local electrician that can install the ground rods and wiring to bring things up to specification - and solve the leakage problem.

Let us know how it works out for you

ROG Member Array

Hey everyone, seems like my post still lives, so thought of giving more info on me. My laptop is still on service, 12 days now, power board seems to be coming from peter pan's neverland or something I wrote a letter of complaint, since its my right as a customer, especially if the reason is malfunction after just one month. Anyways, after that complaint, I finally got an answer with some info that it will be returned to me until monday. Gonna keep you updated if everything works ok later on!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast