cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JH charger/power supply problem

Selturus
Level 7
Hello, I recently bought my G750JH, 1 month ago to be precise, and in the beginning I had no problems with it whatsoever. But in recent days, I encountered severe problems with power supply. My friend gave me advice that, when I'm home to remove my battery from notebook and connect it directly with cable in order to extend my battery life. After few days, I got sudden problems, my notebook would randomly switch off during work/gaming. It gave me quite a lot of trouble to be honest. Then, in order to stop that from happening, I started using battery/charger connection. While playing games or something else, I'd see that charger is losing connection with notebook for few seconds, then after I literally touch the place where charger is connected, it would get contact back. I reported the issue with ASUS support tech here, they will see what the problem is. I just wanted to see, if any of you got similar or same issue with your notebook, what did you do, and can you give me some advice on what to do about it?

Thank you in advance, happy gaming to you all! 🙂
32 REPLIES 32

QC_Desired
Level 7
Try reconnecting the power cable that connects to the power supply brick. Sometimes those types of connectors can be a bit flakey if the cable is not completely inserted.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
As far as I'm aware it's not a good idea to use this specific... "laptop" without the battery in the back.

The charger as I'm so far familiar with it (I'm on a JX) isn't so great. I believe it's not earthed properly and isn't reliable. Sometimes my unit doesn't charge when it's plugged in and I'm using it until I turn it off or do something less demanding.

With any other laptop, I'd take the battery out, but with a G750, I think it uses both the battery and the charger at times when doing heavy operations.

This is my insight and theory, I'm not 100% sure, but I've kept my battery in and never had such problems. By the way, the battery life should be finer than most, as it doesn't get hot around that region unlike other laptop units.

Darnassus wrote:
As far as I'm aware it's not a good idea to use this specific... "laptop" without the battery in the back.

The charger as I'm so far familiar with it (I'm on a JX) isn't so great. I believe it's not earthed properly and isn't reliable. Sometimes my unit doesn't charge when it's plugged in and I'm using it until I turn it off or do something less demanding.

With any other laptop, I'd take the battery out, but with a G750, I think it uses both the battery and the charger at times when doing heavy operations.

This is my insight and theory, I'm not 100% sure, but I've kept my battery in and never had such problems. By the way, the battery life should be finer than most, as it doesn't get hot around that region unlike other laptop units.

Darnassus, if you don't think your power adapter is earthed well, you should ask for a replacement from Asus. They seem to have had a bad batch of them with some people noting faulty charging and flaky touchpad action while plugged in. If you have that problem, get a replacement asap, as it could get worse over time.

You might consider buying a 2nd power adapter, to see if the same thing happens with another unit. If it is the same, it might be that your power strip, or outlet, isn't grounded properly - not that unusual - but also dangerous.

Aluminum wiring is known to go bad over time, and the ground wire failure goes unnoticed - if it was a hot lead the power going out would clue you in quickly to the failure, but a flaky ground has typically unnoticed symptoms.

You can get a device to plug in to your outlets from OSH, Home Depot, etc that has an easy to read diagnostic readout that will tell you if you have a good circuit / ground.

Besides, keeping a 2nd $90 adapter around as a backup should your only power source fail, makes sense when you look at your useless $3500 computer sitting there without power - like I had happen - once 🙂

A 2nd battery isn't a bad idea either...here is a link to all the G750 model accessories:
http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=search_list&s[search]=g750&s[title]=Y&s[short_desc]=Y&s[full_desc]=Y&s[sku]=Y&s[match]=all&s[cid]=0

Darnassus
Status Under Review
I'm confident in mine, it does it's job as far as I can tell. I just would rather get a replacement of the battery charger without having to send mine away first. It's absolutely silly how they do that.

Darnassus wrote:
I'm confident in mine, it does it's job as far as I can tell. I just would rather get a replacement of the battery charger without having to send mine away first. It's absolutely silly how they do that.

If you secure the cost of the replacement adapter with a credit card, Asus will cross ship the replacement ahead of the return, not optimal as they put a hold on your card for the cost, but when you return the faulty one and they receive it, they will release the hold on the funds.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
hmscott wrote:
If you secure the cost of the replacement adapter with a credit card, Asus will cross ship the replacement ahead of the return, not optimal as they put a hold on your card for the cost, but when you return the faulty one and they receive it, they will release the hold on the funds.

Hmm, excellent. I might keep that in mind. Also I noticed the part where "my unit doesn't charge" was because it was above 95%, I forgot how it 'turns off' charging at a specific point for the battery's health.

Still, the part where the palmrest deck seems to somehow carry a current is annoying.. which makes using the touch pad annoying. Though not 100% certain, I need to grab myself a volt meter and test the deck properly for a read..

Darnassus wrote:
Hmm, excellent. I might keep that in mind. Also I noticed the part where "my unit doesn't charge" was because it was above 95%, I forgot how it 'turns off' charging at a specific point for the battery's health.

Still, the part where the palmrest deck seems to somehow carry a current is annoying.. which makes using the touch pad annoying. Though not 100% certain, I need to grab myself a volt meter and test the deck properly for a read..

The power return to ground isn't working, you shouldn't get a shock from the deck, although fun, it can cause problems in the future. I used to carry around a small incandescent light to demonstrate to people the reality of the current leaking - seeing the light put across the idea nicely.

In JR High, our club had a Hallicrafters Receiver that had *alot* of voltage leakage between the chassis and the front panel - it was isolated from the chassis - and you could put *large* capacitors leads across the chassis and panel to charge them up to lethal levels - touching the leads to a pole outside the Ham Shack made a sound like a gun going off 🙂

Fun with Science and Electricity - nothing like it.

All fun aside, someone can get hurt with a bad power situation. Bad appliances are usually the first clue that there is something wrong with the power circuit in a house. It is nice to try different locations / power circuits to see if the same problem happens anywhere you plug in, or only certain places.

Or, it could just be a crappy appliance, or power supply 🙂

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Selturus are you still encountering problems? Has any suggestions helped? Just checking up, this is after all a conversation of electricity and possibly your health

Also, if you live in a dusty environment or (forgive me) operate with unclean hands. ;d your charging terminal may be dirty? You could give it a clean with pipe cleaner and a non conductive cleaning solution if it's not a wire related issue.

hmscott
Level 12
Selturus wrote:
Hello, I recently bought my G750JH, 1 month ago to be precise, and in the beginning I had no problems with it whatsoever. But in recent days, I encountered severe problems with power supply. My friend gave me advice that, when I'm home to remove my battery from notebook and connect it directly with cable in order to extend my battery life. After few days, I got sudden problems, my notebook would randomly switch off during work/gaming. It gave me quite a lot of trouble to be honest. Then, in order to stop that from happening, I started using battery/charger connection. While playing games or something else, I'd see that charger is losing connection with notebook for few seconds, then after I literally touch the place where charger is connected, it would get contact back. I reported the issue with ASUS support tech here, they will see what the problem is. I just wanted to see, if any of you got similar or same issue with your notebook, what did you do, and can you give me some advice on what to do about it?

Thank you in advance, happy gaming to you all! 🙂

Selturus, good thing you removed the battery, so you could find the flaky Power Adapter 🙂

It is ok to run without the battery on the G750, but it isn't necessary. On some laptops, like the high end MSIs. they use power from the battery along with the AC power adapter to get more performance, but the G750 doesn't do that.

If it isn't loose cables, the wall to adapter, adapter to laptop, then it is likely just a bad adapter. There have been a few reported here - some had friends with a G750 and when they swapped in the known good power adapter the power drops stopped for them. So if you have a place to get a good G750 power adapter to swap in and try to see if that fixes the power problems, that is the first thing I would try.

Let us know how it works out for you!

Sorry about the tangents... it is a bit on topic, and if you found the advice to have a 2nd backup power adapter and battery on hand should the primary go bad, that is for you too 🙂