cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5 - Tri-SLI Installation Problem?

SuperNeoSpide
Level 7
Hi,

I've recently invested in a really expensive ASUS machine (custom build). I'm using an ASUS MAXIMUS VI EXTREME motherboard, as well as a TRI-SLI Geforce GTX 780ti (GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5) setup. Now the parts arrived very well packaged and in a completely working condition. 🙂

Now the problem I am having is that after the TRI-SLI installation, the graphics cards is very thick, so that they are touching each other an consequently preventing their fans from turning. Any help please?

I've have tried to align the top card slightly higher and the bottom one slightly lower, then all the fans are working, but without the TRI-SLI cable (board). Now you cannot fit the TRI-SLI board connecting the cards. As soon as you fit this TRI-SLI cable the cards is touching each other again and fans not running... 😞 Any help / suggestions please?

Hope to hear from some-one at ASUS as well with a solution?

Best Regards,
SNS

30 REPLIES 30

skellattarr
Level 10
maybe take off the back plate of the lower two of them and see if that works
by the way really nice system
amd ryzen 9 3950x
CROSSHAIR Viii hero
Corsair Hydro Series H115i
G.SKILL Trident Z 3200mhz 64gb 4x16 timings 16,18,18,38
asus rog strix gtx 1080
TOSHIBA 3TB hdd 3x a total of 9tb, 10 tb hdd and a 1tb mushkin ssd
corsair axi 1200i 1200 watt psu
thermal take view 71 case

skellattarr wrote:
maybe take off the back plate of the lower two of them and see if that works
by the way really nice system

if he does that he voids waranty.
if you have 2 sli bridges you can use that. if im not mistaken you can use the top 2 cards sli slot towards back of case and mid and bottom front sli slot.
just look at the pcb of the 3sli bridge.

Zka17
Level 16
The easiest is to use multiple soft 2-way bridges... the hardest is to get them on water... - those cards were not designed for so crowded installation... with all 3 of them on air-cooing you will have temp problems...

X-ROG
Level 15
Let me send the pics to our VGA dept to ask.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Try flexible bridges for now..like this if you have them...

Dear All,

thank you for your suggestions and compliments on the system.

Seems like if these cards were designed a few millimetres to thick... (I looked at specs of all vendors now, and seems like some of them the cards is 3 millimetres thinner...)

The only way I could get it working on the moment, is by moving the bottom card to slot 4 on the motherboard, and aligning the top card a little higher and the bottom card a little lower. Now all the fans are running. The top two cards are now in a SLI configuration on the moment (flexible cable), still need to get long enough flexible SLI cables to hook up the TRI SLI set-up as Arne have suggested.

I was thinking of upgrading this system to a Quad SLI, but that's out the door now, as these cards are to thick to make that happen.

I will probably void my warranty if I remove the back plates?

So to sum up. Graphics cards currently in slot 1,2 and 4 on the motherboard, with 1 and 2 in SLI. Hoping to get long enough flexible SLI cables to hook up the card in slot 4 to the other 2. Quad GPU not possible...

Any other suggestions and comments welcome?

Thank you,
Regards,
SNS

PS. I'm in technical support communication with ASUS regarding this issue.

SuperNeoSpide
Level 7
Dear Zka17,

I'm pumping a lot of air through the system, on the moment air cooling still seems enough, with the brilliant air coolers on these cards....

Regards,
SNS

SuperNeoSpide wrote:
Dear Zka17,

I'm pumping a lot of air through the system, on the moment air cooling still seems enough, with the brilliant air coolers on these cards....

Regards,
SNS

Indeed, those cards have a brilliant air-cooler on them! But I still think that they were not designed for too close installation of the cards... - but hey, if the temps are right for your needs, then all is OK... 🙂

Not 100% sure what board you have, but for 3-way SLI those are the correct PCIe slots? I mean, are the ones suggested by the manual?

I had 3- and 4-way SLI and CF setups only on the RIVE, CHVF-Z and MVE - there the soft SLI bridges were good enough...

Also, may I ask why do you need 3 or 4 cards in that system? You know that the scaling after 2-way SLI gets worse and worse - right?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
hmm unfortunately I think there is a maximum length for the SLI flexible bridges and I don't think you will find one that will span first to fourth slot 😞

Can I ask if this problem is definitely the cards width or if it's because of the fixing screw points on the case or because the power cables are pulling cards down...i.e. you've ruled those out as deviating the cards from parallel to and horizontal with the PCIe slots?