cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

White Screen that goes away if you firmly tap on the laptop

Proner
Level 7
Yeah, the laptop started booting up white screen, however you can hit the thing by the HD bays on the back and it will go away. But it comes back, sometimes flickers and goes white. If I get the screen back I can hdmi to a tv and that display is perfect, while the lid screen is whited out. Took it the Best buy where I bought it, and they will send it back and in a few weeks I should get it back.. I need to install ram under the keyboard and I want to put in a ssd hd. I wonder if this is just a loose cable I can fix while im in there?

Also, here is the drive I want to buy http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Solid-Hybrid-2-5-Inch-ST1000LM014/dp/B00B99JUBQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_t...

I don't know if asus is sata or pata

help
3 REPLIES 3

Prostar_Compute
Level 9
Sounds like the video cable from the monitor to the board is either bad or loose. They come loose fairly often.

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!

A few things you should be aware of with that drive are that:
1) It's a hybrid drive, meaning it's a regular HDD but with a 8GB SSD cache.
2) It spins at 5400rpm

I haven't looked up speeds, but honestly I wouldn't expect it to perform much better than a high end 7200rpm drive, it is also going to consume power like a regular HDD would. If you are looking for a true SSD ( H should be no where in the name) look into Samsung, Crucial, SanDIsk, and I'm sure others will chime in with their brand reccomendations.

I personally have a Samsung 840pro and I love it. Very fast, completely quiet, easy upgrade. It's the 256GB version and cost me about $250 4-5 months ago.

reka121402 wrote:

I wouldn't expect it to perform much better than a high end 7200rpm drive...

In benchmarking they don't. Their practical purpose comes from the 8 GB cache when accessing frequently used applications; Windows startup with SSHDs is faster also.

I don't know if asus is sata or pata

All modern laptops are SATA. The old PATA interface is obsolete.

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!