cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Matrix R9 290X Platinum: impressions, experience and torture

Zka17
Level 16
I've got my hands on a new Asus Matrix R9 290X Platinum card! :cool:

Thought to open this thread to share my first impressions, then my later ones... practically my overall experience with this card... As I'm basically an overclocker, this card has to go through some OC'ing too... - will see for who it will be more torture... 🙂

I'm planning to take it step by step... first some pictures from during the unpacking, then will install it in a system... - and will do benchmarking! First at stock to have some starting point, then will OC it on stock cooling... hope that soon EK will be ready with the water block for this card - so I can take it under water too... And if it's still too hot I have an SS too... :cool:

So, let's get started! 😄 I won't go in very details, just simple pics until I install the OS... there are already some nice videos out on the net - but on request I can post some more...

The box has been re-designed, now it's opening on it's side... I like the minimalistic design and the color combinations:

The opening window on the side of the box is maintained here too:

The card itself is securely packed in foam... it looks like the fans have different sizes... - or it's just an optical illusion?

And here is the card itself:

First of all: this card is big! Not only long, but tall too... - but the good thing is that only 2-slot wide:

And it has a nice backplate...

Some pics from top and bottom:

So, my first impressions:

1. The card is very solid, got nice re-design from the previous version of the Matrix cards...
2. Asus somehow managed to get this one thinner... only 2-slots...
3. Love the ROG color scheme of it, but I need some time to decide about that optical illusion...
4. A very good improvement: the fins of the heatsink are longitudinal in this one! It may be a good change... will check it later...
5. I love those black heat pipes!!! 😄
55 REPLIES 55

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Nice mate!!! somewhat jealous over here 😛 you know that card's gonna give you some great numbers wherever you bench 😄

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
you know that card's gonna give you some great numbers wherever you bench 😄

Kinda hope so! 😄 But this time want to take it easy on it...

I had 3x of the previous Matrix 7970 Platinums, so I do know them - I really want to see how much difference this 290X makes...
For everyday use/gaming the 7970s were/still are great cards right out of the box, but sincerely I wasn't impressed on their benchmarking ability... That's where I hope a big improvement...

Based on my readings, however, I do understand that this 290X series is running hot... but I have my fate on the heatsink Asus designed for this 290X (at least some improvements over the reference design), then chilled water should help it too...

So far one thing is sure... it is working installed on my system! :cool:
More details as soon as I finish setting up the OS...

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Awesome!! you've put your name in for the OC toy from MarshallR yeah?

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
you've put your name in for the OC toy from MarshallR yeah?

What? Who? Where? :confused: - I don't know what you mean...

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15

Zka17
Level 16
Oh, I haven't seen that one... but also can not open those links...

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Yeah, nobody can at the moment lol

Zka17
Level 16
Super secret!

Dartmaul
Level 12
Z why did you got Matrix instead of lightning?