cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G46VW Overclocking

ha1o2surfer
Level 7
Just a few quick questions.. I have, what appears, to be a max clock speed that I can't seem to get around. I am stuck at 1215mhz and even manually setting clocks in nvidia inspector via a bat file seems to ignore anything higher. Here are my specs so far..

nVidia GTX 660m
Core Clock: 1215mhz
Mem Clock: 1345Mhz (Can still go higher but haven't tested it yet)
Voltage: 0.925 - 1.0870 Under full load
Latest Nvidia Drivers + Latest Version of nVidia Inspector.
Max temps seem to hover around 75c and 78-80c on the CPU ( I have liquid metal thermal paste which helps a GREAT deal)

Something to also note is I have a modded bios+ an overclocked 3840QM.

So I guess my question is, anybody else have any better tools then MSI Afterburner or nVidia Inspector? Or has anyone gotten any higher overclocks on this particular card? I have been running this for about 3 weeks with no issues so I want to see how far I can push it.. Thanks guys!
G46VW (Now with THUNDERBOLT!!), 3840QM (overclocked, cTDP, 72w), Modded BIOS, 16GB, Samsung 750GB SSD, 1TB (Samsung mSATA) Liquid metal thermal paste
7 REPLIES 7

Zka17
Level 16
In general, laptops are not made for OC'ing... but it is certainly doable...

If you check the Notebook section of this Forum, you may get better answers...

ModJPB
Level 7
OLD: Sorry I cant help you with the GPU OC because the vBIOS is embedded into the system bios. If you manage to figure out which module to extract then it can be edited using kepler bios editor.

Updates:
1/3/15 Well much to my suprise, I have been doing a lot of research and finding the appropriate tools, I have successfully been able to mod the vBIOS on my G46VW. Right now I am in testing and have been able to make the computer boot with new VRAM and Core frequencies without having to use any software i.e. Afterburner. The frequency for the core has no +135 limit. I will try to change the voltage next but need some time because there seems to be many voltages listed and have to figure out which one(s) does what.

1/21/15 I am able to change the core voltage, TCP frequency and boost frequency. I currently have two different vBIOS that I am working out. I am able to increase the core frequency when unplugged (on battery only) from stock 405 to 607.5 - 660 before some kind of OVP, OCP, or temperature protection circuit kicks in and starts throttling. I am testing the plugged in frequencies as I am worried still about overheating the unit but am easily over 1100mhz on the core and +350 on the vmem.

Can you tell me how you managed to overclock the 3840qm. I have a modded 210 bios by Klem but I cant figure out what to change for it to overclock. I tried the Intel XTU version 5 but everything is grayed out.
G46VW:

• ModJPB Modded Bios
  • I7 3820QM @4.0GHz
  • GTX660m @1250MHz 1.5V/2800MHz
  • Corsair Vengeance @1866Mhz Cl8 8Gb (2x4GB)
  • SSD Samsung 840 Evo msata 256Gb
  • HD+ Screen 1600x900
  • Killer 1202 Wireless NIC

Hi there!. I would like to overclock my 3820QM on my G46VW as well. If one of you can help ;

ModJPB wrote:
OLD: Sorry I cant help you with the GPU OC because the vBIOS is embedded into the system bios. If you manage to figure out which module to extract then it can be edited using kepler bios editor.

Updates:
1/3/15 Well much to my suprise, I have been doing a lot of research and finding the appropriate tools, I have successfully been able to mod the vBIOS on my G46VW. Right now I am in testing and have been able to make the computer boot with new VRAM and Core frequencies without having to use any software i.e. Afterburner. The frequency for the core has no +135 limit. I will try to change the voltage next but need some time because there seems to be many voltages listed and have to figure out which one(s) does what.

1/21/15 I am able to change the core voltage, TCP frequency and boost frequency. I currently have two different vBIOS that I am working out. I am able to increase the core frequency when unplugged (on battery only) from stock 405 to 607.5 - 660 before some kind of OVP, OCP, or temperature protection circuit kicks in and starts throttling. I am testing the plugged in frequencies as I am worried still about overheating the unit but am easily over 1100mhz on the core and +350 on the vmem.

Can you tell me how you managed to overclock the 3840qm. I have a modded 210 bios by Klem but I cant figure out what to change for it to overclock. I tried the Intel XTU version 5 but everything is grayed out.

hey bro can u please give me the unlocked bios for my g46vw....please..i have I7 3940xm
my email is roybuoy1204@gmail.com
please do me this favour

roybuoy1204
Level 7
hey bro ca u please send me the modded bios please i have been looking for it for months
please do me this favour

roybuoy1204 wrote:
hey bro ca u please send me the modded bios please i have been looking for it for months
please do me this favour

Hey all,

Sorry I haven't checked this forum in awhile, but follow the link below for the modded bios.

Eureka I have the modded bios up and running.

THIS HAS ONLY BEEN TESTED ON MY LAPTOP. I NEED FEEDBACK FROM YOU TO KNOW IF EVERYTHING WENT WELL.

Check the following link https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?82440-G46VW-Bios-Mod!!!-Unlock-Overclock-Update-Tweak!!!
G46VW:

• ModJPB Modded Bios
  • I7 3820QM @4.0GHz
  • HD+ Screen 1600x900

Deleted
G46VW:

• ModJPB Modded Bios
  • I7 3820QM @4.0GHz
  • HD+ Screen 1600x900