cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to install clean windows 7 on new SSD disk

Retired
Not applicable
Hello forums!

I've just bought g74sx. I have Windows 7 OEM preinstaled on magnetic HDD (750GB) and I would like to install a fresh / clean version on my SSD. SSD disk is already built in the unit so when I log in into Windows, I can see that there are 2 disks, 4 partitions OS (C), DATA(D), OS(E) and DATA(F).

BTW its strange that I have 2 OS partitions, dunno really why they set up it like that...

What I would like to accomplish is to install OS on SSD disk, and have partitioned ( 2 partitions) magnetic HDD for storage purposes.

I have a recently downloaded Windows 7 retail trial DVD which I was told can be used to install OS but I really don't wanna mess up my laptop and need your help with that... Should I treat this case as a regular Windows 7 instalation process?, using ESC at boot up and setting OS DVD to boot up and so forth ?

Is there any step by step solution to my problem ?

szarawata
16 REPLIES 16

xeromist
Yes, you can do a normal install. Just make sure that when you do the installation you choose the blank drive. Also you may need to go into the BIOS and choose which drive is going to be the first one to boot in the order. If you are really worried you could remove the HDD during the install. So that your only option is the SSD.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
Thanks for your reply !

Ok I went to BIOS and under the BOOT options theres already my SSD being first on the list 🙂

And since I have apparently two "OS" partitions, will I be able to erase them and create a new one while booting from DVD?

Retired
Not applicable
Thanks for the info

xeromist
Yes, when you boot the Windows 7 installation and it asks you to choose the drive for installation there is an option on the lower right of the screen for advanced or partitions or something. You can use that to delete the partitioning and start with a clean drive if you'd like.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
Thank you, now I'm more confident and I'm getting to work! 🙂

cheers

Once you are done please let me know how it turns out. I want to do this to my G73SW once i get in the mail. Also if you have to install alot of stuff like drivers, software, etc... Also please post if you run into any bugs. Thanks

Retired
Not applicable
Sure, with pleasure 🙂

szarawata wrote:
Sure, with pleasure 🙂

Thank you

grungeboy2
Level 10
all the big companies do the two partition thing. been doing it for probably a decade or more. they put the restore software (which doesn't always work like it's supposed to) on the small partition.

advice from me: once you get everything installed and set up, get rid of the factory restore partition and make your own. basically mine contains the win7 DVD and the drivers for my laptop.