cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't usually write editorials, but as an Oculus fan I couldn't help myself

X-ROG
Level 15
http://rog.asus.com/311362014/news/oculus-rift-reaction-think-not-of-what-you-can-do-for-facebook-bu...

Someone might complain about me writing on a company blog, but meh, it's gaming focused damnit!!

And no, it's no confirmation that ROG is doing VR (yet). I wish!!
17 REPLIES 17

kkn
Level 14
theres loads that is not happy about this.
ppl wanted a "gaming" product and now it may look like FB is implementing it in to their own needs ( my opinnion )

kkn wrote:
theres loads that is not happy about this.
ppl wanted a "gaming" product and now it may look like FB is implementing it in to their own needs ( my opinnion )

That's what I've read, and I've also read a great article on Fortune/CNN that explains a statement by Zuck and Oculus, but still I think there's warrant to be open minded until proved otherwise. One product doesn't equal one funciton. It can still be gaming AND social, you just ignore the social part. Just like a PC can be used for business and/or gaming.

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
I’d be extremely surprised if their intention is to create the next Second Life

I, unfortunately, wouldn't be surprised at all but a big company is the only way this tech is going to go anywhere so...wait and see I guess...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
I, unfortunately, wouldn't be surprised at all but a big company is the only way this tech is going to go anywhere so...wait and see I guess...

They have John Carmack - I would think that the god of computer game programming would count for something...:cool:
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Zygomorphic wrote:
They have John Carmack - I would think that the god of computer game programming would count for something...:cool:

Hey, I got up in a good mood today so I'm willing to be optimistic...rock on Oculus Rift! billions will be poured into a completely immersive games experience....

However tomorrow I might remember that Facebook is a pander to the lowest common denominator venture looking for numbers only and I might think Oculus Rift will be the portal to virtual twerking hangouts for brain dead teens at best...and that John is reaching middle age and might well simply sell out for a quiet life and I would't blame him.

X-ROG
Level 15
They way they describe 'virtual meeting rooms' and stuff - it's been proposed before with the original VRs. Hell, even AMD were talking 'holodecks' 4/5 years ago and people thought we'd never fly again when video conferencing arrived! If people can't get a $30 VIDEO CAMERA into meeting rooms, they certainly can't get everyone hooked up to VR kits. It's too involved, too costly, too much time/investment/personal space. You can't multitask. Even when I was IN lectures I still needed my eyes to write notes etc - how can I write notes with goggles strapped to my noggin? Not to mention PS Home didn't exactly work and Second Life became a brief portal for fantasists, rather than a serious social entity.

It's just fluff talk to make investors think they are insightful visionaries, and that their money is well spent. I don't think it's a very serious aspiration with a roadmap or anything.

Either way, who cares if OR enable FB to do this? As long as they have an API developers can use for gaming that's all we need.

EDIT: Mashable nailed it: http://mashable.com/2014/03/26/oculus-rift-facebook-freakout/

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
Second Life became a brief portal for fantasists, rather than a serious social entity.

Second Life is still full of Role Players, though i've never used it myself...i'm still attached to IMVU, though I barely use it now lol.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Well, it certainly put the rift in Oculus.

Drum kit falls down the stairs. Ba boom tish.