cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Build What To Pick [£1.6k ~ £2k]

Nu_No
Level 7
Hello guys.

This is my 1st post here so sorry if I make any stupid mistake.

Lets get to it I am about to buy my next rig I will be ordering the components and building it myself. I have £2k of budget but I would rather spend around £1.7k. I will be OC the rig ideally to 4.5Ghz not sure if it will be possible (I will need help doing this as I haven't done it in the recent past, last time I did something similar was 6 years ago in my last upgrade. I am hoping that someone here will be able to give me a hand doing this). I would like you guys to give me some advice if I am choosing the right components for my build, what I want to accomplish is a gaming rig that will last 4 to 5 years at least (I think it is safe to say I will be going to do SLI in the near future just don't have the funds to do 2x 780 ti's right now but will have in the next couple of months. Most of the games I play are on line i.e Arma 3 / BF4. Now to the build it self:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£236.00 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£83.88 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£146.98 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: G.Skill Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory (£118.68 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£136.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£57.39 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card (£557.74 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Desktop Case (£104.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£139.98 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition (2-Pack) 62.7 CFM 120mm Fans (£20.53 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition (2-Pack) 62.7 CFM 120mm Fans (£20.53 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan (£10.98 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £1675.73
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-26 10:03 GMT+0000)

Link to PCPartPicker in case you want to modify something: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3gGx1

I notice on PCPartPicker that there is a note in the end related to the kind of memory I am choosing I don't know if it is correct or not and what this will do to my system so please advise in this matter. The note is the following:

"G.Skill Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Haswell CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum."

Sorry if this is a lot to ask but I don't want to make a silly mistake and end up buying something that wont get me any good.

Thanks for all the help that you may provide in advance

Regards,
Nu No
15 REPLIES 15

Antronman
Level 10
Consider switching the H100i out for an H105 as it has a thicker rad.
I would recommend using Noctua NF-F12 PWM fans, and using an NZXT Sentry Mesh fan controller.
And also switch the gigabyte GTX 780 ti for an EVGA GTX 780 ti Classified.
Other than that, you look great 😄
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Nu_No
Level 7
I understand that the noctua fans are quitter and same performance but in my case noise ins't a issue so i would rather go with corsair for the looks, I will definitely buy a fan controller I am still looking into it as I will have around 8 fans in the case and each fan needs 12 V for max speed so I need a fan controller that allows me to go that high if need be. Why change the GPU for the EVGA any specific reason?

Edit: About the H105 it has to have 90mm space from top to the MOBO for push pull config and I think that won't allow me to do it at least on the top side of the case I could mount it on the front but I think the overall system temp will rise that way no?

And what about that memory note anyone knows if it will work?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Haswell recommended voltage is 1.5v for RAM anything else is over-clocking territory. If you want to benchmark etc. faster speeds are what you want and they come with higher voltages normally. There are some 2133 1.5v kits but anything above 1866 generally comes at 1.65v. it will work fine...but as the note implies it is technically voiding the warranty I guess. Will it work? Yes will work great.

If you are gaming and doing normal computer stuff and are not into benchmarking etc. there is no real need to get a 1.65v kit 1600 1866 and 2133 kits at 1.5v will be all the performance you need.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Haswell recommended voltage is 1.5v for RAM anything else is over-clocking territory. If you want to benchmark etc. faster speeds are what you want and they come with higher voltages normally. There are some 2133 1.5v kits but anything above 1866 generally comes at 1.65v. it will work fine...but as the note implies it is technically voiding the warranty I guess. Will it work? Yes will work great.

If you are gaming and doing normal computer stuff and are not into benchmarking etc. there is no real need to get a 1.65v kit 1600 1866 and 2133 kits at 1.5v will be all the performance you need.

Yes the main goal is not benchmarking by any means just want the best rig for gaming really (with this budget). What kit would you recommend I would love to get 16GB at least.

EDIT: By having a quick look I found this 2 sticks Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory for £164.04 or Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory £137.25 both run at 1.5V.

Cheers

Nu No wrote:
just want the best rig for gaming really

Yeah then anything 1600 1866 2133 is going to give the same real world performance...sooo, between those two kits I would really start looking at which one looked cool in the build to be honest. I mean I guess the Dominators will be better quality? but really...the Vengeance will be nice too...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Yeah then anything 1600 1866 2133 is going to give the same real world performance...sooo, between those two kits I would really start looking at which one looked cool in the build to be honest. I mean I guess the Dominators will be better quality? but really...the Vengeance will be nice too...

Thank you. I will look into it now 🙂

Edit: Will ram in anyway interfere with OC ? I am thinking of pushing it into 4.5ghz max the memory freq is involved in this in terms of how far can I go or how stable the system gets?

kkn
Level 14
the h105 is a 2x140mm rad.
if you have high airflow+static preshure you dont need push/pull on it.
you can do push or just pull ( either is up to you ).
get a controller witch have temp probe option on it and lcd display.

Nu_No
Level 7
According to this review is it really worth it ? http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/corsair_h105_review,12.html

Regarding the controller I rather have one without lcd because of my case it would just look awkward.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Pretty much the CPU OC and RAM are independent. If you stick to base-clock 100 and use multiplier to OC then you will not have to touch RAM settings. You would just set up your RAM at XMP settings....and then change multi to 45 and off you go.

If you start changing the base-clock using straps like 125 etc. then you start affecting bus speeds for RAM and PCIe but there should be no need to do that unless you want to...

Technically higher frequency RAM puts more strain on the CPUs memory controller (IMC) and running higher frequency RAM might mean you limit your OC but I have not really seen that with that platform... the IMCs seem strong.