cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSU wattage

HappyBuddhaman
Level 7
Hey guys, what do you think my PSU requirement would be for the following setup I'm building.

Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow edition with 4 fans, 20mm, 2 @ 25mm, 30mm. (Purchased)
Thermaltake Water 3.0 AIO CPU cooler. (Purchased)
ASUS Formula VI MB.
Intel i7 4770k overclocked
32 GB DDR3 RAM
1 7200 HDD (I want to put up to 4 drives in the case, an extra 7200 HDD and 2 SSD's)
1 Optical Drive
ASUS ROG Front Panel (whenever it's released)
Right now I'll be using a single 650ti card, but will be purchasing 2 ASUS Poseidon Platinum cards in a few months. (I was thinking on the MARS, but changed my mind).

Next year, with the purchase of the poseidon cards, I wanted to convert the system to full water cooling, the MB, CPU, and both GPU's. I've never built a total water cooled system, so I don't know the system requirements.

I've been using a PSU calculator at - http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine which says I would max out at around 709 watts.

Thinking an 850 would do the job, I don't want to overpurchase power at 1200, but I don't know how much power will be needed for liquid cooling, also taking into account removing the Water 3.0 AIO system.

Thoughts?
7 REPLIES 7

IM2L844
Level 12

Zka17
Level 16
Yeap, I think too, a 850W one would do the job… - I actually have a Mars III on Impact with 4670k, cooled with H80i… all running of the Seasonic X-850…

For two graphics you better go with higher wattage… 1000-1200 is the common way…

Also, look at the efficiency and the Amperage on the rail(s) when you're choosing one...

Tokens210
Level 10
yup, agree with everyone else, 850 will be fine for the majority could probly even swing the 2 cards but it might be pushing it
for the 2 cards and custom water loop deff. look into 1000watts +

also just some more info, i see you have it listed your going to overclock your 4770k, and you have 32GB of ram selected

first id say you cant even yet be sure the chip you get can be overclocked, unless you already have it and have played with it

second, unless your doing virtual environments and movie or game creation 32GB is gonna be so over kill that id bet 16gb never gets touched the entire time ever lol, granted there are reasons to get 32 sometimes, like if you plan on a ramdisk or anything or as i said about virtual boxes, game creation, movie editing so its up to you to decide what your shooting for

Third you didnt mention ram MHz your looking at, while higher MHz and Lower CL is what you wanna shoot for, knowing you already are going to overclock the processor or atleast try to means if you were to buy something like 2400MHz you may not be able to run it at that due to the proccesors overclock

also the Formula VI + ROG Front Base + your case
almost the entire panel on the right of your case is going to become dead and youll only have 2 bays left, may not matter to ya but i figured id let you know if you didnt realize it already

Your case comes with 2 sets of USB 2.0 and front panel audio and 4 5.25 bays

The Maximus VI Formula comes with a single front audio header and 2 USB 2.0 front headers (one of which is also ROG Connect)

The ROG Front Base requires the front panel audio header and the ROG connect usb 2.0 header and consumes 2 of the 4 5.25 bay slots
meaning the front base will have a single headphone, single mic, and single USB 2.0 while on your case itself the headphone,mic and 2 usb 2.0 slots will be dead

it can only control 4 fans and while is does support the CPU level up system, there is no guarantee that your processor will even be able to use them, i have the same board and CPU as you, currently No asus presets work at all, yet if i go in and manually enter the values my self it will work so my advise would be steer clear of it

currently there are no pass thru's to allow the computer case features to work with the panel and according to JJ there not even considering it cause in his words it would defeat the purpose of having the panel altogether

which i call BS on lol its a front panel controller aimed at overclocking and adjusting the pc from an easier standpoint and just happens to have a insulated thick HD audio cable and a few preset equalizer settings (cause someone had there thinking cap on that day at work lol), in which giving me pass thrus so half my case isnt dead would make sense but id also know they would be of a lesser quality then the connections on the panel itself

for me personally all the above things combined came into pretty much even if the rog base was free i might get it, but it wouldnt go in my pc lol id rather just have a lamptron fan controller and overclock thru bios anyway and im literally brand new to all this stuff lol
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Arne's SLI/Xfire rhyme :

850 if you're stuck at stock,
1000 if you overclock
and if you're going to run amok;
1200+ will uberclock

Antronman
Level 10
I say 1000w PSU.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Chino
Level 15

PowerOver9K
Level 9
Yep Seasonic 1000W Platinum or eVGA SuperNOVA P2 1000W Platinum.
Mobo: Rampage IV BE | CPU: i7-4930@4.5ghz Hexacore | RAM: 32GB Corsair V-Pro | GPU: 4xR9 290X Quadfire | PSU: eVGA P2 SuperNOVA 1000W\G2 850W | Chassis: NZXT Phantom 820 | Cooling: XSPC Raystorm CPU Block\4xEK 290X Block\2x Laing D5\XSPC Dual Bay Res\Phobya G-Changer 1080 External Rad\Alphacool 140UT60\XSPC AX360 | Fan Con: Lamptron CW611 | Tube: Primochill Adv. LRT Bloodshed Red | 3xCrossover 27" 2560x1440 Monitors | Build Log of Insanity