cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V Formula + UEFI + Windows 8.1 Help!

MysticPixie
Level 7
Hello,

I recently got 2 new SSDs and was finally getting ready to get modern with UEFI and RAID 0 SSDs. After much fighting and hand wringing, I'm at the point where I'm getting through the first part of the WIndows 8.1 installation. The computer goes to restart, and I get dumped back into the BIOS after the reboot. Selecting "Windows Boot Manager" from the boot options causes the screen to briefly change before dumping me right back into the BIOS.

I've tried startup repair, but it says the all tests pass and that the OS booted successfully.

This is day 2 on this, and I'm really stumped. I had a lot of problems getting to this point, but now I'm really stuck.

Has anyone had this happen to them?

**EDIT**

Some additional information about my setup.

Crosshair V Formula w/ THunderbolt motherboard (Thunderbolt is currently not in the system)
2x Samsung 840 EVO SSDs (250GB)
8350FX Proc
XFX Radeon 7950 3GB Video Card

I also have 2x 3TB Seagate Drives, but they're currently not plugged in (part of the process of narrowing down what's going on).

The SSDs are configured in RAID 0, which was done via legacy ROM before switching to UEFI for the installation.

Installation goes through without error, though I do sometimes have to manually create the partitions for windows using instructions found here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825686.aspx

I'm stumped.
8 REPLIES 8

bigpoppasmooth
Level 7
When you install Windows, do you manually install the RAID driver from Asus before you go through the rest of the install?

I had a similar issue installing 2 SSD drive in RAID1. When you get to the part where you select the drives, you see one, assuming this is your RAID drive, it is not. It is the second drive of the array. Weird I know.

Install the AMD RAID driver. You will need to download it from the Windows 8 area on the Asus site as there is no download for Win8.1.

MysticPixie
Level 7
It looked like everything was there correctly. The size of the RAID was even correct (RAID 0 2x 250 Drives = ~500, which is what showed). THe setup log showed everything successful and the hardware RAID was noted in the setup log. I'm taking it into the shop to figure out. I'm at my wit's end with it.

bigpoppasmooth
Level 7
I'm curious. Please let us know if they find anything. Good luck.

I feel like a dunce. Turns out it was the raid configuration. I know windows 8 has native support for 4k disks, so that's how I set the sector size in the raid config, but that was the problem. The default 512 byte sector size works.

jarokamaro007
Level 7
I have same problem...dont know what to do now... Will be great is somebody make some video how to do it?can U put screen shots in ur bios wit setup..ill compare to main...thanks

Here is video of my bios settings.can someone help.me.please.i dont know what to change to have UEFI booting.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-DCcnEEM0s&feature=youtu.be

jarokamaro007
Level 7
Over 750 views and nobody know how to fix it? 😞

jarokamaro007 wrote:
Over 750 views and nobody know how to fix it? 😞

When I installed my OS to a OCZ RevoDrive any install that may have gone bad required me to

get the drive out of raid 0 and then I had to do low level formatting on each drive. After formatting

recreated striped 0 raid reinstalled and POOf all good. Try that and let us know if that works for you

or anyone else since this thread is old.