cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VW Reboots and turns off ***MAYBE SOLVED***

FerGxxx
Level 7
Hi People!

I'm posting this because I've been suffering with my G75.
I clarify that my English is not very good, so if someone does not understand something I can try to explain it another way :p.

I bought a G75VW-DS72 in January 2013, a few months later began to restart a few times and other turns off randomly. Once restarted, could be on for hours without any problem. It was a pretty annoying problem, but I learned to live with it, because I did not find any solution in any forum and I cannot use the warranty, because I'm from Argentina. The past two months the problem worsened. I found a certain pattern, once Windows starts, if don’t do anything, not even move the mouse, the notebook remained on. I opened the Chrome and Windows live mail and turn off. I had to do this every time I turn on it to force the turn off, and then turn it back on and can use it.
Before yesterday I wanted to play diablo 3 a while, when I’m in the character selection screen the notebook turned off , I try a lot of times and I get the same result. So I decided to find some kind of solution.
I must say that at first, trying to solve the problem update the BIOS to version 223 and I disabled hibernation.
I made all the changes that I will detail in simultaneous, so I do not know which one solved the problem.
1 - I went to the NVidia control panel, then to establish PhysX settings and then to "select PhysX processor” and I choose CPU instead of GPU.
2 - After I turned off the machine and entered the BOOT settings, then I disable the following: "Internal Pointing Device", "Wake On Lid Open", "Power Off Energy Saving", "USB charger + Asus ...", “Intel Virtualization…” and Intel AES-NI. Then I went to "Intel Anti-Theft Technology Configuration" and disable everything. Then went to "USB Configuration" and disable everything. Afterwards, save the changes and start the notebook.
3 - Download the MSI Afterburner program and reduced the core clock to 500 MHz and Shader Clock to 1000 MHz.
As I said before, I did everything together, then I do not know which of these things solved the problem, or at least seems to have solved.
After three days of use is not reset or turn off.
My idea is to just go step by step and leaving everything as it was to know what was the solution.
At this time I reversed what I did in STEP 2(Step 1 NO) and continues working well.

I hope this works for them who have the same problem.
If there is any negative or positive change I will communicate it.

PS: I have all drivers updated.
PS2: I am very disappointed with ASUS and ROG series, is an expensive notebook, with many problems, as we can see in many post........ 😞
14 REPLIES 14

SpasTaz0917
Level 7
well come to think of it, my G75VW had a period where it suddenly shutt off. without rebooting.
and it hasn't crapped out for some time... remember disabling the USB Charger plus at some point or if it was the Windows 8.1 Update 1 that did it.
but I suspect that it might have been bad graphics drivers 🙂
since the crashes mostly happened while gaming or doing some intensive tasks. or just idling.. the crashes were "random" I just couldn't see the pattern.

but it usually blamed the CPU for crapping out on power, on the crashdump. (critical CPU power failure or something) when the sudden shutdown happens.
but made it crash a few times by overclocking the 670M card higher than usual. but it still blamed the CPU.

a bit off topic, since I can see you play Diablo...
I think that it is a bit Overpowered that. getting boosted lvl 1 to lvl. 60 from a lvl 70 character, takes only about 2 and a half hours x)
in Torment IV (6) difficulty. with the new Reaper of Souls expansion x) oh well.. I'm gonna 'Crusade' through Act 5, well prepared 😛
rig: Impact VII / 4790K / Crucial Ballistix SP 16GB 1600Mhz/ 256GB 850 Pro
Corsair AX760 / H105 AIO Watercooling / Bitfenix Prodigy
laptop: G75VW 3630QM / 670m /16GB RAM / 256GB 840 Pro + 750gb/ BD drive
Gaming OC for 670m 750/1750

Do keep us posted on your findings. I will try your adjusted settings myself and see if I also get positive results.

Some of your setting choices are taking processing load away from the GPU and putting it on the CPU. I wonder if this
is resulting in lower GPU temperatures..moving you away from a GPU overtemp condition.

b

Well, I want to tell you that unfortunately got another sudden shutt off ... 😞
I had reversed steps 2 and 3, so I returned to perform steps 2 and 3 and I reversed step 1. I think PhysX is not the problem.
I clarify that I have no temperature problems in the CPU or the GPU.
In fact it occurs in intensive tasks, but mostly, in 90% of cases the shutt off happens when you just start the OS when the notebook is cold.
I'm beginning to think it may be something related to USB ports or USB drivers.
Other additional data: After shutt off when I turn on the notebook, I never get any kind of error message. I use the WhoCrashed, but did not find any crashdumps.
I'll try and test and tell them how it was....

FerGxxx wrote:
Well, I want to tell you that unfortunately got another sudden shutt off ... 😞
I had reversed steps 2 and 3, so I returned to perform steps 2 and 3 and I reversed step 1. I think PhysX is not the problem.
I clarify that I have no temperature problems in the CPU or the GPU.
In fact it occurs in intensive tasks, but mostly, in 90% of cases the shutt off happens when you just start the OS when the notebook is cold.
I'm beginning to think it may be something related to USB ports or USB drivers.
Other additional data: After shutt off when I turn on the notebook, I never get any kind of error message. I use the WhoCrashed, but did not find any crashdumps.
I'll try and test and tell them how it was....

Hola, soy de Argentina también, 8 meses de uso a full, comprada en USA, muchas veces 72hs seguidas de encendido (por las descargas de steam) y hasta 10 a 15 hs de juego pesado, hace un mes empezó a fallar con el apagado random. Re cambio de grasa siliconada y nada, pero me llama la atención que todas las gomitas que unen el heatshink con los componentes que acompañan a la gpu en la placa de la gráfica (que en este modelo es extraible como en las Pc de escritorio) estaban cocinadas, no asi las de la parte de abajo, o sea que debe levantar buena temperatura por momentos (el cooler estaba bien, sin tierra acumulada) me parece que deberian hacer andar mas rapido los cooler como en la g56 que tuve antes y cero drama. Me juego a que es la soldadura de la grafica, si resuelvo te aviso, si resolviste avisame.

Mariano wrote:
Hola, soy de Argentina también, 8 meses de uso a full, comprada en USA, muchas veces 72hs seguidas de encendido (por las descargas de steam) y hasta 10 a 15 hs de juego pesado, hace un mes empezó a fallar con el apagado random. Re cambio de grasa siliconada y nada, pero me llama la atención que todas las gomitas que unen el heatshink con los componentes que acompañan a la gpu en la placa de la gráfica (que en este modelo es extraible como en las Pc de escritorio) estaban cocinadas, no asi las de la parte de abajo, o sea que debe levantar buena temperatura por momentos (el cooler estaba bien, sin tierra acumulada) me parece que deberian hacer andar mas rapido los cooler como en la g56 que tuve antes y cero drama. Me juego a que es la soldadura de la grafica, si resuelvo te aviso, si resolviste avisame.

Mariano, tuviste algun avance, descubriste algo???
Me quiero cortar la pelo***...
Para mi es algo relacionado con la alimentación, es como que de repente la fuente corta. Puede ser también lo que decis de las soldaduras, que se yo... ya me cansó, una notebook de esta magnitud y precio que falle de esta manera, para colmo, compradas en USA, estamos al horno....
Espero tener alguna noticia tuya o de alguien...

FerGxxx wrote:
Mariano, tuviste algun avance, descubriste algo???
Me quiero cortar la pelo***...
Para mi es algo relacionado con la alimentación, es como que de repente la fuente corta. Puede ser también lo que decis de las soldaduras, que se yo... ya me cansó, una notebook de esta magnitud y precio que falle de esta manera, para colmo, compradas en USA, estamos al horno....
Espero tener alguna noticia tuya o de alguien...

Hola, me recolgué, la verdad un bajón, comprada cero tambien de usa encima el soporte de Asus ni bola, me mandaron a compumundo, o sea , lo mismo que nada,no el trabajo de chip grafico, me parece que tampoco es, le desconfio a las memorias de la placa grafica pero tengo que hacer mas pruebas, hasta ahora, lo unico que mas o menos me deja jugar es el msi afterburner bajando la velocidad a 450 maso, pero igual en vacio se apaga al inciar.

Hola, me recolgué, la verdad un bajón, comprada cero tambien de usa encima el soporte de Asus ni bola, me mandaron a compumundo, o sea , lo mismo que nada,no el trabajo de chip grafico, me parece que tampoco es, le desconfio a las memorias de la placa grafica pero tengo que hacer mas pruebas, hasta ahora, lo unico que mas o menos me deja jugar es el msi afterburner bajando la velocidad a 450 maso, pero igual en vacio se apaga al inciar.

Any news?

Hello!
I dont know what else to do...
i reinstall win7 but the problem is worse. Before, it shutdown moments after turning on, then i must turning on again, then i could use for hours, but now it shutdown when im playin, im surfing in the web... and several times.
If somebody can discover what is the problem, tell us...
I think is something related with power, but its only a guess.
Ty!!!