cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sabertooth FX990 R2 with AMD FX-9370 - Overheating!

TheSable
Level 7
hey guys,

Now firstly I know the Asus Sabertooth FX990 V2 is a 140W motherboard and my CPU is 220W, however I found this:

http://rog.asus.com/261142013/crosshair-motherboards/asus-announces-full-support-for-amd-fx9590-and-...

Now, according to the press release, my motherboard should be able to take my CPU in stride.. this appears to not be the case as I am experiencing some very high temperatures.

On the cooling side, my case is a brand new Cooler Master HAF XM, it has plenty of airflow and my CPU is liquid cooled with a Corsair H60.

Some CPU intensive games have caused my CPU to hit temperatures of about 70c (according to the AI Suite II) and my VCORE-1 is hitting temperatures of over 80c.

This was however alleviated once I took the side off my case and pointed a desk fan at the CPU... My temperatures all dropped to pretty much what I would expect (45-50c while gaming) While this has at least alleviated the worst of the heat issues, its not an ideal solution.

This brings me to the big questions....

• Buy competitor (gigabyte) motherboard that can support this CPU wattage
  • Downgrade to a less powerful CPU
  • Upgrade my PSU (no idea if this will reduce motherboard temperatures - current PSU is 800W)
  • Crawl into a corner and cry (lol)

Any suggestions or advice welcome, just really want to be getting the most out of my new CPU without cooking it!

Regards,
TheSable
10 REPLIES 10

sectionate
Level 12
You should have purchased a full tower to get better airflow. also your cooler isnt made/designed to handle that cpu
Crosshair IV 1090T 4093.7 - Crosshair V FX - 8350 Batch # 1243PGT 4.422MHz - 4816.08 MHz 1.5v - GSKILL F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR(x2)1087.6 11-12-10 1.5volts - ViewSonic VX2439wm - Acer GD235HZ - SyncMaster P2350 - PowerColor Red Devil RX 480 8GBD5-3DH/OC - Current Mode: 5760 x 1080 - (retired) ASUS GTX660DC2O2GD5 - Nvidia 3D Vision Wired - HAF 932 - Corsair HX850 - Corsair H100i - latest quakelive.com - Day thirteen 60fps - as always I'm powered by Futurelooks.com

X-ROG
Level 15
Your motherboard has nothing to do with the CPU temperatures unless you want to try reducing the stock CPU voltage to try undervolt with stability? Predominantly your case airflow efficiency and CPU cooler affect your temperatures. The H60 is not the biggest cooler on the market - so you could try adding another fan or faster fan airflow, but it sounds like you're simply not getting enough cool air in and exhausting the hot air build-up fast enough.

kkn
Level 14
more airflow tru the case!!!
air = cools.
what fans and how menny do you have and direction.

TheSable
Level 7
I thought the Liquid Cooler I had was a bit lightweight... I do have a second fan on it, but obviously its just not going to be enough.

Would you recommend the Corsair H110? I know that will fit in my case (by removing the two top 200mm fans) and I also might have enough room in the HAF XM to put 120mm fans on either side of it.

I know I should probably go the full custom water block, but I am entry level into this sort of thing so much more comfortable with a self contained unit!

TheSable wrote:

Would you recommend the Corsair H110? I know that will fit in my case (by removing the two top 200mm fans) and I also might have enough room in the HAF XM to put 120mm fans on either side of it.
Your 120's won't work on the 110 as the 110 is a 280mm Rad, you'll need 4 x 140's for a push/pull config, but, you will also need to take a bunch of measurements to make sure you have plenty of room to do so, otherwise it'll be 2 x 140's in either a push or pull setup. If you want a 240 Rad, I suggest either the H100i, or, the H105 🙂

I know I should probably go the full custom water block, but I am entry level into this sort of thing so much more comfortable with a self contained unit!
There is nothing wrong with being more comfortable with an AIO cooler for your needs, but I highly recommend you get an extra, high RPM 120 fan and mount it in a way, that it sits directly over the VRM's and blows cool air onto them to help keep temps low 🙂

X-ROG
Level 15
I would look at 9590 reviews and see what those media used to cool it on the spec page.

Zka17
Level 16
The H60 is a very bad choice for that CPU... it's cooling capacity is just too low - there are plenty of air-cooler which will over perform that particular closed loop cooler...

And the fact that if you open your case and blow extra air inside lowers the temps means that the airflow isn't enough either...

So, yes your options are around H100, H105, H110... and improve the airflow in your case!

Zka17 wrote:
The H60 is a very bad choice for that CPU... it's cooling capacity is just too low - there are plenty of air-cooler which will over perform that particular closed loop cooler...

And the fact that if you open your case and blow extra air inside lowers the temps means that the airflow isn't enough either...

So, yes your options are around H100, H105, H110... and improve the airflow in your case!

The FX9370 seems to have a major voltage bug where it will overheat dramatically unless undervolted (is that a word?) try setting your CPU voltage at 1.4V or lower. Also make sure you have something blowing air onto your RAM and your Northbridge as most motherboards are designed to cool this areas through the CPU cooler airflow. With a watercooler that obviously is missing.

madcratebuilder
Level 10
You need more rad surface to cool the 9590. Your case excepts a 240 rad and I would recommend the CM Glacier 240L or similar model, these have cooper rads not the aluminum rads that the Corsair units use. Another plus is they are expandable if you wish to add to the loop in the future.

I had a 80i on a 8350 and it would get hot at full load. I swapped in a 240L and temps on core and socket dropped 12-14C at load.

Air flow on the vrm/nb heatsink is needed and it helps to add a fan to the back side at the cpu cutout.
Speedbird 9590@5.1/CHVFZ/8gb G Skill@2133/ASUS R9-280X all on EK blocks controlled with Aquaero 6 Pro

Goonybird 8350@4.6/GA990FXAUD3/16gb Corsair@1600/Crossfired Sapphire 7990's cooled with CM 240L XSPC res