Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Question Looking at options to play blu ray on g75vw-jh

I own a g75vw-jh, and it doesn't have a blu ray drive installed. I am looking at options for giving it blu ray capability and I have several questions and need advice on these options. Perhaps there's an even better way to do what I'd Like to do with my laptop.

• Internal Blu Ray - Is this possible, more expensive than an external blu ray, or even practical? Possible fees for installation, or is it just really easy to install without voiding warranty? Blu Ray player software included free with drive itself?
    • External Blu Ray - How does it connect to the computer? Via USB 2.0? Is 3.0 better or not neccessary? or does it connect via HDMI port?

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro

Changing out a DVD player for a BD Player or Writer is a simple thing to do. There failry cheap on ebay or Amazon. or check out this Comes with a manual showing you how to swap them out.
    Usually External driver are more expensive, I'm sure by now that you could find one that would support USB 3.0 if that's the way you want to go.
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array SHADO's Avatar

I replaced the DVD drive in my G75 with a Blu-ray drive. Just get the one that Clintlgm linked to. It is about a five minute process to remove the old and install the new. All you do is remove the access panel on the bottom of your G75, then locate and remove the 1 screw holding your current DVD drive in. Slide the old drive out. Then remove the screw that holds the little bracket on the old drive, and attach the bracket using the screw to the new drive. Then you have to gently remove the plastic bezel (faceplate) from the old drive and snap it onto the new drive. Slide the new drive into your G75, and put the screw back in that holds the drive in. Put the access panel back on your laptop, and you're done. Couldn't be easier.

It doesn't look like the drive that Clintlgm linked to comes with software for Blu-ray playback. I have a feeling that most if not all bare drives do not come with the software needed. What I actually did was buy an external Blu-ray drive, which DID come with the needed software. It was only after I bought the external drive that I decided to mount it internally. So I just removed it from the case it came in and mounted it internally.

My external Blu-ray drive originally plugged into a usb 3.0 port on my G75.
    Last edited by SHADO; 03-29-2014 at 12:37 AM.
    ASUS G75VW
    i7-3630QM 2.4Ghz
    GTX 660M (2GB)
    16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
    1TB HDD
    2TB HDD
    Blu-ray Writer (Pana. UJ-260)

ROG Enthusiast Array

Can it be another brand like this one? I saw this thread mention he had success in installing that blu ray in a g75vw BBK5, whereas mine is g75vw-jh. I don't know the difference between all the letters or I'd know the answer to that question.

As for the Blu Ray playback software, Can VLC Media Player be used?

Quote Originally Posted by MeteoricDragon View Post
    Can it be another brand like this one? I saw this thread mention he had success in installing that blu ray in a g75vw BBK5, whereas mine is g75vw-jh. I don't know the difference between all the letters or I'd know the answer to that question.

As for the Blu Ray playback software, Can VLC Media Player be used?
    The drive you linked to should work just fine. They all seem pretty much universal, as long as the height is correct for your application (12.7mm). All the G75 variations take a 12.7mm high optical drive. I just tried to use VLC to play a Blu-ray, and it was a no go. I'm not even sure that there IS a free Blu-ray playing software anywhere out there, but I could be mistaken.
    Last edited by SHADO; 03-29-2014 at 05:21 AM.
    ASUS G75VW
    i7-3630QM 2.4Ghz
    GTX 660M (2GB)
    16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
    1TB HDD
    2TB HDD

ROG Enthusiast Array

I got a g75 with a blu ray installed and it never can with the soft ware to play them. One day I'll buck up and pay for it. Just sucks you would think if you bought the drive it should come with. Like DVD,s. If you find a free blue ray codexlet me know.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro

Media Center has no problems playing BD, not sure but MP might for sure plays DVD's. I have always used paid for Software for movie viewing as it most likely to work well all the time.
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Clintlgm View Post
    Media Center has no problems playing BD, not sure but MP might for sure plays DVD's. I have always used paid for Software for movie viewing as it most likely to work well all the time.
    Windows Media Center doesn't come with the standard version of Windows 8 which is what I believe most g75's came with (except the ones with Windows 7).

Windows Media Player won't play Blu-ray (at least not for me).
    Last edited by SHADO; 03-29-2014 at 09:08 PM.
    ASUS G75VW
    i7-3630QM 2.4Ghz
    GTX 660M (2GB)
    16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
    1TB HDD
    2TB HDD

ROG Enthusiast Array

What are some good options for Blu Ray player software then? Stuff that works well and isn't too expensive?

I personally don't know what works well and isn't too expensive. My drive came with Cyberlink Media Suite.
    ASUS G75VW
    i7-3630QM 2.4Ghz
    GTX 660M (2GB)
    16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
    1TB HDD
    2TB HDD

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast