cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel board needed

Heini
Level 11
The Crosshair in my sig isn't doing well so I'm gonna take the opportunity to jump ship to Intel. Considering the new stuff coming later in the year (DDR4etcis there a current board that might support the coming goodies?
12 REPLIES 12

Tokens210
Level 10
the DDR4 and Iris i believe are going to be on the next series of boards, the X99 and Z79 or something like that, dont remember the exact chipset numbers, but just put it as no there going to be different boards

the current 1150 boards are getting the haswell refresh

current 2011 boards i believe are waiting on there -e chips to drop
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

Heini
Level 11
Thanks. Maybe I can be patient until new stuff to releases.

Tokens210
Level 10
yea theyve changed some naming since first announced but there is a thread on here about Intel's announcement at GDC that has alot of it listed

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?45298-Intel-drops-details-of-X99-8-Core-CPUs-Cheap-OC-Penti...

there ya go i found it, it was lost about 6 pages back lol if you google any of the names like devil canyon or pentium anniversary itll bring you to a intel press release about it with more details
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

Intel LGA 1150 socket is being kept, but the Z97/H97/Q97 chipset is being added, with DDR4 of course.
Broadwell will be backwards compatible with Z87/H87/Q87 (without DDR4 obviously)

LGA-2011/X79 is being discontinued in favor of LGA-2011-3 and the X99 chipset which features DDR4 support.
Haswell-E will not be backwards compatible with X79.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
DDR4 is as far as I have seen, still only coming to Haswell-E X99 2011-3

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
DDR4 is as far as I have seen, still only coming to Haswell-E X99 2011-3

That is correct. Z97 will not be getting DDR4.

Pretty much what we're saying is that unless you're an extreme OCer and are interested in the Octacore LGA 2011-3 CPUs, this tick isn't going to be a mandatory upgrade.
But the next tock most certainly will be...
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

IM2L844
Level 12
Broadwell will be backwards compatible with Z87/H87/Q87 (without DDR4 obviously)

I thought it would only be compatible with the 9-series chipsets?:confused:

IM2L844
Level 12
But the next tock most certainly will be...

Think I'll wait on Skylake-E. Tech Reviewers/Benchers should have DDR4, PCIe 4.0 and various other sundries on the precipice sorted out and settled in by then. And, hey, 12 cores with AVX-512 for consumer desktops could be a real possibility by then. We'll see. Now just seems like a bad time to upgrade with so much stuff coming down the pike, but still kind of up in the air.