cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nvidia V285 Beta Driver - BF3 FPS results

Br4nd3n
Level 9
Battlefield 3 FPS Results on the G74SX-A1 Using the beta V285 Nvidia Driver

NOTE: The Nvidia beta 285 driver does in fact boost performance in Battlefield 3, however I've noticed it will decrease performance in other games. This is most likely because it is a beta and purely optimized for the Battlefield 3 beta.

Battlefield 3 automatically set my G74SX-A1 to these settings:
Texture Quality: Ultra
Shadow Quality: High
Effects Quality: High
Mesh Quality: High
Terrain Quality: Ultra
Terrain Decoration: High
Antialiasing Deferred: Off
Antialiasing Post: Med
Motion Blur: On
Motion Blur Amount: 50
Anisotropic Filter: 16x
Ambient Occlusion: HBAO

- Notice that the Ambient Occlusion is set the HBAO. This puts a lot of stress on the GPU and doesn't make much of a aesthetic difference if lowered to SSAO. Changing it to SSAO will give you a 5-10 instant FPS increase.

FPS Results with auto settings and no driver:

Outside: 27-38
Inside: 35-45

FPS Results with auto settings and the beta driver:

Outside: 30-40
Inside: 38-52

- A minor increase in frames with the beta driver, but nothing significant. It still however does make a noticeable change, especially when playing outside.

My personal custom settings on the G74SX-A1, not using the auto settings.
Texture Quality: High
Shadow Quality: High
Effects Quality: High
Mesh Quality: High
Terrain Quality: High
Terrain Decoration: High
Antialiasing Deferred: Off
Antialiasing Post: Med
Motion Blur: On
Motion Blur Amount: 50
Anisotropic Filter: 16x
Ambient Occlusion: SSAO

FPS Results with custom settings and no driver:

Outside: 35-50
Inside: 45-60

FPS Results with auto settings and the beta driver:

Outside: 37-52
Inside: 45-60

- As you can see the Frames were significantly better with the settings dimmed down to high and the ambient occlusion dropped. The beta driver didn't make much a difference yet again, but a few frame raises can be helpful.

So there you have it. Battlefield 3 will run fine on High settings on your G74Sx-A1. You can even play around with your own custom settings to try to fit some ultra's. In my opinion the texture difference between Ultra Vs. High is VERY Slim.
| Asus G74Sx-A1 | GeForce GTX 560m 3gb GDDR5 |
| 16Gb 1333Mhz DDR3 Ram | 2630QM I7-Quad Core |
| BluRay + Bluetooth | 2x 750gb Sata HDD Drives |
17 REPLIES 17

Scoter
Level 7
Nice post m8. One question, do you play at FHD native reso??

Yes, that's on 1920x1200 resolution.

Br4nd3n wrote:
Yes, that's on 1920x1200 resolution.

You mean 1920X1080 right, thats Full-HD, unless there is something higher that I have never seen before?

I played the beta on my new G74SX got very similar results, your right about the beta drivers other games suffer slightly, but that is beta drivers for you, hopefully Nvidia will bring out a new release soon which is optimized properly!
Asus G74SX-FHD-TZ130V

2nd Generation Intel Core i7-2630qm 2ghz With Turbo Boost Up To 2.9ghz CPU | Metallic Keyboard | Win 7 Home Premium | Blu Ray & DVD +/- & CD Player | 4 USB Ports | Media Card Reader | Webcam | Bluetooth | WIFI | Nvidia 3D Vision GTX560M 3GB | 2 X 750GB 7200rpm HDD's | 8 GB RAM DDR3 1333mhz | 17 Inch Screen 1920X1080 Resolution | 1 HDMI Ports | 8 Cell Battery

Retired
Not applicable
I did what you said but i still get 19-25 fps on high i got a G74SX-A1 with the bf3 beta drivers HOW I CAN GET MORE FPS!

Retired
Not applicable
I am having an issue that I am hoping can be resolved through the collective knowledge of those that browse and post this forum. First off, let me say.... I am a self-proclaimed addict of the Battlefield franchise and have recently begun "using" again. Although BF3 Beta is not exactly a polished gem, it gives me my fix and keeps me hoping that the final release will be anything but extraordinary (tongue in cheek).... I know, I know - onto the problem:

I have the ASUS G74SX-XT1 laptop which I've upgraded to 16GB of RAM. The laptop is true to specifications as noted in all publications and has not been modified. The issue that I'm having is that I cannot play BF3 BETA in full screen mode. When I reduce the screen size to about 2/3's of the full screen counterpart, I can play at about 23-30 fps. When the game is full screen, it runs at 11-17 fps, at best. This of course is accompanied by a nausea-inducing "motion blur" that helps to compensate for the dropped frames.

Now I KNOW that this laptop is entirely capable to rendering polys and graphics far more complex than BF3, and at a much faster rate. What can be the problem? Before responding with the common solutions, please note that I am using the BETA NVidia drivers (Date 09/22/2011), have no other memory sapping programs runnings, and am running the laptop off a power supply. Please help!

johnkook73
Level 7
Thanks for the results, I am going to try that on mine. Can't wait till this game comes out...for all you BF3 players out there my screename is johnkook73. See you on the battlefield.

johnkook73 wrote:
Thanks for the results, I am going to try that on mine. Can't wait till this game comes out...for all you BF3 players out there my screename is johnkook73. See you on the battlefield.

Thank you! I can't wait for the game to be released either, I am a major fan of the Battlefield series. The graphics in this game are just outstanding.

Br4nd3n wrote:
Thank you! I can't wait for the game to be released either, I am a major fan of the Battlefield series. The graphics in this game are just outstanding.

Are you in a clan? We are currently recruiting... www.walkingdeadarmy.com

omega939
Level 9
When your in the game, check the graphic section if there is an option to enable full screen. If not then just press alt + enter to full screen mode