cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How durable G705 really is?

TeURaS
Level 7
I have used my G750JH for four months and form the beginning the physical 750gb HDD has been making klicking sounds and must be replaced by Asus and now this weekend my WSAD keys started failin. My W key does not pop back up because of the srpingcousing under the key failed .... My old keyboard lasted 7 years in my use and now my friend has it. It is sad that I have to send my laptop to maintenance after 4 months of use.
2 REPLIES 2

hmscott
Level 12
TeURaS wrote:
I have used my G750JH for four months and form the beginning the physical 750gb HDD has been making klicking sounds and must be replaced by Asus and now this weekend my WSAD keys started failin. My W key does not pop back up because of the srpingcousing under the key failed .... My old keyboard lasted 7 years in my use and now my friend has it. It is sad that I have to send my laptop to maintenance after 4 months of use.

Some disk ticking can be stopped with this app. QuietHDD:
https://sites.google.com/site/quiethdd/

It's always a good idea to WSAD on a keyboard not built into a laptop. Because now you have to send it in for repair. No matter how long the keyboard in the laptop lasts, when it fails it is much harder to fix than just replacing an external keyboard.

Plug in a gaming keyboard for use at home, and use a wireless one that is compact for travel - if your games don't mind the keyboard lag on wireless, otherwise there are nice wired keyboards that are compact.

I still have my Logitech G15 and Razor Lycosa that have held up for years. I use the Logitech k400r for travel.

A laptop keyboard isn't going to have the same longevity.

I used to replace my Macbook keyboards every 6 months, until I figured out I could use a separate keyboard. The Macbook keyboards were $80-100 to replace, the external keyboard was much less 🙂

I used to drop liquids into the keyboard too, ruining it. It got to the point I would just order a spare keyboard to have around when I did it again. Keeping the human drippings out of the laptop is another benefit to using an external keyboard.

IDK why Asus went with a non user serviceable keyboard with the G750. My G2S had an easy to replace keyboard, and I replaced that as well, until I went with an external keyboard.

If you have any questions on using the QuietHDD, let me know - and let us know if it stops the HDD ticking!

angrylemon
Level 10
The only way I could get QuietHDD to run at startup is with Task Scheduler. So you run Task Scheduler, then go Create Task, then go Triggers select New and change "begin the task" to log in. After that go to Actions > New and select QuietHDD. This should enable QuietHDD every time you login as it doesn't seem to work with the other startup option.