Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned Array

Question Can I steal drivers from newer laptops?

I only want to download drivers from ASUS and not directly from Intel, nVIDIA, or Realtek

Is it ok to steal the drivers from the newer laptops like the G750JS such as its nVIDIA Driver, Realtek Audio Driver, Intel Chipset Drivers, MEI, IRST?

or will they not work properly?

Like then they list an nIVDIA Driver or a Realtek Driver, is it meant to be used across ANY realtek sound chipset or does each driver contain specific optimizations for the model it was installed on? or do they all have the same Realtek driver anyway?

Also, as we know the newer laptops have the GeForce 880, so would it be ok to install their nVIDIA Driver or is it not meant to work 100% on our GTX 770M?

I have a G750JX

ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array hmscott PC Specs
    hmscott PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G750JH-DB71 (legacy)
    MotherboardAsus G750JH Intel HM87
    ProcessorIntel i7-4700HQ XTU Cores 36x/35x/34x/34x Cache 36x -50mV undervolt
    Memory (part number)Hyundai Electronics HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 1.35v DDR3L-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia 780m Asus GPU Tweak OC 932mhz/6300mhz
    Sound CardRealtek v6.0.1.7469 driver
    MonitorAUO B173HW02 V1 Custom Refresh 85hz
    Storage #1RAID0 2x M.2 SATA Crucial MX200 512GB CT500MX200SSD6
    Storage #2Crucial 512GB 2.5" MX200 CT500MX200SSD1
    Power Supply230w AC Power Adapter 19.5v
    Keyboard Logitech k400 Wireless KB/Trackpad
    Headset Sony MDR-XB500 Wired and Sennheiser RS-220 Wireless TOSLINK
    OS Windows 8.1 + 8 Linux VM's + Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U DLINK DIR-655

Quote Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
    I only want to download drivers from ASUS and not directly from Intel, nVIDIA, or Realtek

Is it ok to steal the drivers from the newer laptops like the G750JS such as its nVIDIA Driver, Realtek Audio Driver, Intel Chipset Drivers, MEI, IRST?

or will they not work properly?

Like then they list an nIVDIA Driver or a Realtek Driver, is it meant to be used across ANY realtek sound chipset or does each driver contain specific optimizations for the model it was installed on? or do they all have the same Realtek driver anyway?

Also, as we know the newer laptops have the GeForce 880, so would it be ok to install their nVIDIA Driver or is it not meant to work 100% on our GTX 770M?

I have a G750JX
    pokerface, our G750JW/JX/JH's have the same base hardware and many of the same hardware options as the new G750JM/JS/JZ.

The driver packages will work properly on our G750JW/JX/JH, if you pick packages that are for the same hardware in the G750JS/JM/JZ as in your laptop.

If you look at the drivers for the JM/JS/JZ, the newer ones than we have in the JW/JX/JH download areas are for the same hardware, and some are the same version with the same sizes and distribution information.

If you want to stay away from Nvidia direct downloads, then I would stay away from the Nvidia drivers for the new laptops - they have been tested on the new laptops which have different video cards.

The Asus GPU Tweak tool is a package to avoid, it only works on the new video cards with Optimus enabled

Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops vs Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...l=1#post387929

Most of the other packages are compatible, and some are newer than posted into the G750JW/JX/JH download areas, so they are fair game.

It looks like the Asus USB Charger+ depends on BIOS support so the newer versions may not work if your G750 BIOS doesn't support it. See posts further down in this thread. This may also affect Asus Power4Gear support as it also ties in with the BIOS. (Update).

Unless you have a G750 with Glossy 3D screen and support hardware you can download and use the newest Nvidia drivers from Nvidia.com, and even if you have the 3D version - the last 2 drivers from Nvidia have fixed the black screen at boot and crashing some 3D G750 users were experiencing.

IF you have a G750JX with Matte screen - non-3D, you should now be ok to use the Nvidia drivers direct from Nvidia.
    Last edited by hmscott; 03-31-2014 at 10:51 PM.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Darnassus PC Specs
    Darnassus PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VS -=-=- G750JX
    MotherboardASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G752VS (U3E1) -=-=- ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G750JX (SOCKET 0)
    Processori7 6700HQ @ 2.60GHz -=-=- i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz - 3.40GHz
    Memory (part number)2x16gb (M471A2K43BB1-CRC) -=-=- 2x8gb (HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB)
    Graphics Card #1GTX 1070 (8GB) -=-=- GTX 770M (3GB)
    Sound CardRealtek High Definition Audio / NVIDIA High Definition Audio
    MonitorGSync IPS 75HZ -=-=- Chi Mei 60Hz (Overclocked to 85Hz)
    Storage #1Samsung SSD 960 EVO 250GB x2 -=-=- LITEONIT LCS-256M6S
    Storage #2HGST HTS721010A9E630 -=-=- ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB
    CPU CoolerStock -=-=- Stock
    CaseStock -=-=- Stock
    Power SupplyStock -=-=- Stock
    Keyboard Stock -=-=- Stock
    Mouse Razer Naga Epic 1st Generation
    Headset SPH 2500
    Mouse Pad Razer Goliathus
    OS Winblows 10 Pro -=-=- Winblows 8.1 Pro
    Network RouterCG3000v2

Thief! He's stealing! :c

Banned Array

Quote Originally Posted by hmscott View Post
    pokerface, our G750JW/JX/JH's have the same base hardware and many of the same hardware options as the new G750JM/JS/JZ.

The driver packages will work properly on our G750JW/JX/JH, if you pick packages that are for the same hardware in the G750JS/JM/JZ as in your laptop.

If you look at the drivers for the JM/JS/JZ, the newer ones than we have in the JW/JX/JH download areas are for the same hardware, and some are the same version with the same sizes and distribution information.

If you want to stay away from Nvidia direct downloads, then I would stay away from the Nvidia drivers for the new laptops - they have been tested on the new laptops which have different video cards.

The Asus GPU Tweak tool is a package to avoid, it only works on the new video cards with Optimus enabled

All the other packages are compatible, and some are newer than posted into the G750JW/JX/JH download areas, so they are fair game.

Unless you have a G750 with Glossy 3D screen and support hardware you can download and use the newest Nvidia drivers from Nvidia.com, and even if you have the 3D version - the last 2 drivers from Nvidia have fixed the black screen at boot and crashing some 3D G750 users were experiencing.

IF you have a G750JX with Matte screen - non-3D, you should now be ok to use the Nvidia drivers direct from Nvidia.
    Thanks a lot, thanks to the new updated Blutooth Driver 8.0.1.314 the boot issue has been fixed with ANY nVIDIA Driver I install.

With that being said, I have the latest nVIDIA Drivers installed but someone here said ASUS recommends installing their drivers not the nVIDIA ones for better 3D support or something I forgot. I don't know what am I mising by running the latest nVIDIA Drivers

The ASUS Drivers are ancient compared to the nVIDIA ones

All the drivers did work with the exception of the ASUS USB Charger 3.1.7 and 3.1.8 don't work

can you confirm and tell me why those don't work? I thought they are not actually a driver but like a function

why doesn't it work I get an error on boot up

Banned Array

Quote Originally Posted by hmscott View Post

All the other packages are compatible, and some are newer than posted into the G750JW/JX/JH download areas, so they are fair game.

Thanks a lot, thanks to the new updated Blutooth Driver 8.0.1.314 the boot issue has been fixed with ANY nVIDIA Driver I install.

With that being said, I have the latest nVIDIA Drivers installed but someone here said ASUS recommends installing their drivers not the nVIDIA ones for better 3D support or something I forgot. I don't know what am I mising by running the latest nVIDIA Drivers

All the drivers did work with the exception of the ASUS USB Charger 3.1.7 and 3.1.8 don't work

can you confirm and tell me why those don't work? I thought they are not actually a driver but like a function

Also, is the Realtek Audio chipset on the newer laptops the exact same one on our G750JW/JX/JH? or was it updated?h

hmscott PC Specs

Also, is the Realtek Audio chipset on the newer laptops the exact same one on our G750JW/JX/JH? or was it updated?h
    Asus USB Charger 3.1.7 is what I had installed, and it was working fine. I installed 3.1.8, and it is working too. You need to uninstall the old driver and reboot before installing the new one.

(Update) It looks like the Asus USB Charger+ depends on BIOS support, and some G750 BIOS' aren't able to support the newer Asus USB Charger+.

I don't know what Realtek chipset is used in the new laptops, but Asus is posting the same driver package with the new laptops.
    Last edited by hmscott; 03-31-2014 at 10:57 PM.

Banned Array

ok lemme try again

Banned Array

Here is the error that happens after I install 3.1.8 or 3.1.7

I have even tried this on a clean install it's the same

I did uninstall the previous USB Charger and rebooted

What do you think this might be? and how come you didn't get this error?

hmscott PC Specs

Here is the error that happens after I install 3.1.8 or 3.1.7

I have even tried this on a clean install it's the same

I did uninstall the previous USB Charger and rebooted

What do you think this might be? and how come you didn't get this error?
    Enable the Charger+ in Battery Mode option in the Advanced section of the BIOS. Once you Enable it, you won't get the error

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Asus USB Charger+ 3.1.8.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	35194

(Update) It looks like the Asus USB Charger+ depends on BIOS support, and some G750 BIOS' aren't able to support the newer Asus USB Charger+. It works fine on my JHA 204, some some JX's running 208/209 aren't working.
    Last edited by hmscott; 03-31-2014 at 10:59 PM.

Banned Array

I did that, same thing

I am on BIOS 209 if that matters

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast