cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Case Fans

HappyBuddhaman
Level 7
Want to replace the standard stock fans in my case with something better. Also using a Thermaltake 3.0 Extreme (build not completed) and wish to replace those fans as well.

Are Noctua fans really worth the price? Any other manufacturers anyone would recommend? Anti-vibration mounts are important, LED lights not so much.

Looking for 3 - 120mm and 1 - 140mm exhaust.
8 REPLIES 8

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
I'll start by saying that I have been experimenting with most of Noctua's fans for a little while now.

If you decide to go with Noctua for case fans, I'd recommend the NF-S12A PWM or the NF-P12 PWM fans for your 120mm spots, and I DEFINITELY recommend the NF-A14 PWM for your 140mm.

The NF-S12A's are good once airflow is established (it takes about 5 seconds after power-up in my case), and before that they push a lot of air to the sides. However, if you have a fairly restrictive fan vent (like, the square punched holes instead of a 120mm round hole), I'd go with the NF-P12 PWM, because it can maintain better airflow with resistance - but, the NF-S12A's will still do the job, but it will take a little longer for airflow to be established.

The only downside I've found with the 140 is that it makes more noise at higher rpm than do the 120's (but, with just one, you shouldn't notice it really. I have two side-by-side, and the differing turbulence makes a barely audible dissonant whine).

Dr. Z

Edit: For clarity: when I say "airflow to be established," I mean for case pressure to stabilize, and for the airflow rate through the case to stop fluctuating (dFlow/dt reaches its limit, as it were).

Veracis
Level 7
I have 2 cougar 140mm fans, though I have not put the rig together yet to comment on noise. I have heard that they are really nice.

Here is a 120mm.
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cougar-case-fan-cfv12hp
i7-4770k @4.2 | EVGA 780ti | Maximus VI Hero | Seasonic 1000W Platinum | Seidon 120v AIO
Trident X 16GB 2400 | Samsung EVO 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | CM 690 III

Logitech G400 Mouse | G710 Keyboard | Razor gaming headset
ROG Swift pg278q G-Sync Monitor

Tokens210
Level 10
everything ive seen list noctua fans as being pretty much hands down some of the number 1 fans you can get
they also come with an adapter that can lower the max rpm to make the fan quieter

on youtube you can see a video on linustechtips where he got his all in one cooler temps to drop a pretty good amount after installing noctua's
he even went further to try and disprove what he called the "myth" of push/pull as opposed to push or pull and he blew his own mind when he saw that a push/pull with them actually did drop the temps again lol

personally tho i have an issue with the color, its the pc color scheme from like the 90's lol i have a dell from 1998 sitting in my room that has tan and brown parts in it (and lime green lol), if i go further back in time to a dell optiplex in my closet everything in that is tan/brown

but again the color thing is just my personal opinion lol
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

IM2L844
Level 12
Be my guinea pig. I haven't tried these myself yet, but I intend to. I've read good things about them for quiet builds. All info taken with grains of salt and all that though:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12548/fan-821/Noiseblocker_NB-Multiframe_M12-PS_120mmx25mm_Super_U...

Dr. Z - Oddly enough, was looking at the Linus Tech Tips and he was saying the same S series fan wasn't good for radiator cooling because of the separation in the blades doesn't provide good pressure. He recommended the F series with the fatter blades. Yet the S series is advertised for radiator cooling and has greater air flow than the F series.....maddening. (Which is why I'm here, to get advice (and give when possible) from people who have built and used these items).

I'll probably go with the S series like you recommended. 😄

I should of also said, out of the three 120 mm's, 2 I'm using for a radiator, and one for an optional intake. Think an F series for the intake is ok, or should I go all three in the S series? I don't want to throw off the air pressure.

The case is the Thermaltake GT Level 10, top fan removed for the radiator (being replace with the AIO cooling unit), back exhaust fan replaced with the 140mm Noctua, additional 120mm intake fan added to the bottom, front intake at 200mm @ 600 ~ 800 rpm, and a 200mm side intake, that I might replace with just a window. I've seen people mod that without a whole lot of difference to their temps.

HappyBuddhaman wrote:
S series fan wasn't good for radiator cooling because of the separation in the blades doesn't provide good pressure. He recommended the F series with the fatter blades.

In your original post you said case fans, and I wasn't thinking about the radiator. Don't use the S fans on a radiator - Linus is right. They are SUPERB case fans, though.

Depending on the pressure requirements of your radiator, use the P12 or F12 fans. The P12 fans perform better in my Monsta radiator with 8 fins per inch, but an F12 would be better suited to denser radiators toward 15-20 fins per inch.

HappyBuddhaman wrote:
I should of also said, out of the three 120 mm's, 2 I'm using for a radiator, and one for an optional intake. Think an F series for the intake is ok, or should I go all three in the S series? I don't want to throw off the air pressure.

The F fans make decent case fans, but they don't have the flow rate of the P or S series fans, and they are much louder at higher rpm. I'd stick with the S fans on the case - if you're going with Noctua, that is 🙂

Z

Edit: My experience with case pressure has shown that a positive case pressure (essentially, more fans pulling in than fans pushing out) only serves to cut down on dust accumulation.

PowerOver9K
Level 9
I personally am going to likely be going Noiseblocker e-Loops. I would go Noctua but they are SOOOOOO UGLY.
Mobo: Rampage IV BE | CPU: i7-4930@4.5ghz Hexacore | RAM: 32GB Corsair V-Pro | GPU: 4xR9 290X Quadfire | PSU: eVGA P2 SuperNOVA 1000W\G2 850W | Chassis: NZXT Phantom 820 | Cooling: XSPC Raystorm CPU Block\4xEK 290X Block\2x Laing D5\XSPC Dual Bay Res\Phobya G-Changer 1080 External Rad\Alphacool 140UT60\XSPC AX360 | Fan Con: Lamptron CW611 | Tube: Primochill Adv. LRT Bloodshed Red | 3xCrossover 27" 2560x1440 Monitors | Build Log of Insanity

PowerOver9K wrote:
I personally am going to likely be going Noiseblocker e-Loops. I would go Noctua but they are SOOOOOO UGLY.

i got the eloops and i think they are good personaly.
its more of "tunnel" wind of them ( consentrated together )