cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero VI Motherboard, Zx sound card keeps disappearing

Kleetus
Level 7
Hello,

I've searched high and low and put up with this problem now for months and it's driving me crazy.

My Specs:

• Hero VI with latest 1402 bios, default settings using non-UEFI Windows install

• Intel 4770K (not overclocked currently)

• 16GB Ram XMP profile

• Samsung Evo 500GB boot drive

• Creative Zx sound card
  • Using latest drivers and Windows updates.

What happens is that everything works fine, then randomly after a reboot or cold start my sound card will be displayed as a Recon3D instead of a Zx in Device Manager.

This means the sound doesn't work as the Creative Control Panel doesn't recognise any hardware.

The only way to get the sound card back is to uninstall it from Device Manger, reboot and reinstall the Creative drivers.

It's extremely hard to diagnose as it's so random, there is no pattern to it.

And when it's displayed as a Recon3D, the driver files used are exactly the same as when it's a Zx.

What I've tried:

• Fresh install of Windows with basic hardware/software

• 2 brand new motherboards, and 2 brand new sound cards, all the same models.

• Every bios available, as well as bios settings.

• Different PCIe slots, and not screwing the card down.

• Driver program to uninstall the Creative drivers and reinstall.

I'm at a loss here, the only thing I can put it down to is the SSD is booting so fast that the Creative drivers don't load properly.

I don't have another PC without an SSD to test it on, and it would take weeks of daily use to thoroughly check.

This has to be the most annoying and perplexing problem I've ever come across.
9 REPLIES 9

desolator4u
Level 7
Older X-FI Sound Blaster Cards stopped being detected after a few restarts with a SSD, but not these newer ones. I have the Sound Blaster Z and I have no issues like this. I really don't think the board would be the issue here. It would be best to check on the Creative forums for further assistance, because I am almost certain i've seen an issue with their new cards. Try the suggestion here at post #22 http://www.overclock.net/t/1350082/msi-z77-mpower-creative-sound-blaster-z-series-problem/0_50#post_...
8700K / Noctua U12S / Maximus X Hero / 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz / EVGA GTX 1080 Ti / Seasonic Prime 650W / 4 x 1TB SSD / 970 Pro 512GB M.2 / Game Zero Headset / K95 Platinum / Logitech G502 / Win 10 x64/ ViewSonic XG2701 1080p 144Hz

Kleetus
Level 7
Thanks for the reply.

As I stated in my post, I'm not using a UEFI Windows install.

I've been at this for months, and I've spent days trawling the web for information and solutions.

I've pretty much tried every suggestion out there.

And the Creative forums aren't any help, and neither is their support.

I'm aware of numerous people with X-Fis that weren't detected, but there are a few with Zx as well.

There is also an old thread here from last year of someone with a Hero and a Zx with the same issue, however, I've seen other brand boards with the issue.

desolator4u
Level 7
Yes, I did see where you had a Non UEFI Windows installation, but I linked you to that thread to ensure that you Enabled Launch CSM in the UEFI, as well as changed UEFI Boot to Non-UEFI OS.
If you have the same issue with 2 of these cards with 2 different motherboards, that means it's something with the configuration
8700K / Noctua U12S / Maximus X Hero / 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz / EVGA GTX 1080 Ti / Seasonic Prime 650W / 4 x 1TB SSD / 970 Pro 512GB M.2 / Game Zero Headset / K95 Platinum / Logitech G502 / Win 10 x64/ ViewSonic XG2701 1080p 144Hz

Kleetus
Level 7
Thanks, I appreciate your reply.

Yes, I have CSM enabled and it's on Legacy, and I agree, it's some sort of software or configuration issue.

The only thing I haven't tried is a new Windows install, but this time a full UEFI install.

I'll try that soon, but I'm not holding my breath.

What makes this so incredibly difficult to track down and frustrating is that there is no pattern.

It can work for a week or two, then it will suddenly happen with absolutely no change in anything to cause it.

Raja
Level 13
This is probably one for Creative to look into themselves. Not sure there is anything else you can do if a re-install does not fix it.

Kleetus
Level 7
Thanks Raja, I'm pretty much resigned to hoping that Creative will fix it via a driver update.

I love the motherboard, it's rock solid and the sound card is fantastic when it woks.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their replies.

Kleetus
Level 7
Well, I just installed Windows in UEFI, and still having issues with my sound card disappearing.

This time, instead of disappearing and being displayed as a "Recon 3D" in Device Manager, it was just displayed as a "High Definition Audio Device".

It's definitely something to do with the Creative drivers and how they load after the bios hands off to the OS during cold boot.

When it happened for the first time this morning with my new UEFI install, I entered the bios, reset it to optimised, then changed a few settings and rebooted and the card was detected OK.

I don't mind troubleshooting and fixing things, but what really annoys me about his is that I've tried everything and there is absolutely nothing I can do about it.

Fir3line
Level 7
I have to say, I bought my hero VI a week ago, didnt bother reinstalling windows so just used my previous installed on other motherboard(it already had my Zx drivers installed there). First time I ran the computer the Zx wasnt recognized, I had to sellect it again. after a few hours I had grabbed a few 2'5 inch adapters i had forgot on my car and installed them(bought case+new motherboard), after I assembled back the case my Zx wasnt recognized again, this time I had no option to sellect my card again. After a few restarts (didnt reinstall driver), it randomly started working again.
Fast forward a couple days I ordered a new cpu cooler, and to prepare the case for it I had to change a couple fans airflow directions. After i got everything going the same problem appeared, messed around with BIOS settings, disabled motherboard soundcard and then it was working again.
Today when i finally got my cooler, again same issue. Fixed itself after couple restarts.

Its just wierd and random, cant really put my finger on the problem

Kleetus
Level 7
You really shouldn't use another Windows install with a different motherboard, as Windows will be using the wrong drivers.

At the least you should do a repair, or better still format and install Windows with your new board.