cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete factory recovery partition. Can someone copy it for me?

b419kid
Level 7
Hey all,
I did some silly things with the override command in diskpart on a windows live usb... and uh... deleted the asus recovery
partition. The one that lets you refresh windows without needing to reinstall drivers. Is it possible for someone, who still has it
in tact, to copy the partition somehow and get it to me to put back on my drive?

I really really don't want to send the laptop back into Asus just to get this done.

Thanks in advance.

I have an ASUS ROG G46VW (14").
36 REPLIES 36

skidoo
Level 7
Thought about making that request myself .
I downgraded from win 8 to Win 7 ( to run certain software )
I thought I made a copy of everything, BUT, obviously I didn't include factory recovery partition.
Would have been nice if ASUS had a way to download this partition ( possibly with the use of serial # of notebook for proof )

If possible, I have ASUS G75VX-RH71-CA, and came with Windows 8

It's a long shot request, but never hurts to ask?!

Thank You

I think if you lost your recovery partition, you will just Clean Install and reinstall your drivers, and software See Rewben/s Thread for guides and notes we all worked out months ago.

Get your drivers here use these until you have everything working then if you want to upgrade further at least you'll know that it was working.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

I am in the same boat laptop wont boot! And I am amazed how friggin hard it is to do a simple windows install! I have done thousands of regular computers and this bios is updated but something has got to let me install SSD!

See my comment you replied to rewben thread addresses how to clean install, the problem your running into this that we don't really have a BIOS MBR , these G series NB are shipped UEFI GPT, once you address that installing is easy. If the upgrade & notes don't do it for you there are some really good guides on the Eightforms and 7forums

Create a USB install media use RUFUS to accomplish this remember your creating a UEFI Bootable install media
spam the esc key on boot up that will give you a boot menu select your UEFI USB Install media
after the install files are loaded hit the F10 key that will give you a CMD window, Use Diskpart to clean your SSD and convert it to GPT
Partition your SSD however you like and install windows to the C: partition. Simple as it always was you just have to learn UEFI all the new equipment is coming with it so jump right on in. MBR disk are a thing of the past.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

I got all my drivers, no problem. Wish I could get that partition back so it can save headaches and time in the future. Anyhow, I just happen to own a separate Windows 8 key that I using for this install. How do I make the install work with the one built into bios?

Windows Eight its simple just use a program to extract your key from your BIOS.
Run pkeyui.exe by right clicking on it then choose Run As Administrator, then find your Windows 8 product key and write it down somewhere safe.
Here are the generic Key's that will allow you to install from a retail ISO, they will not activate windows they only allow you to install win 8.1 you need to activate with your embedded legal Key.
Window 8.1 Generic Keys:Windows 8.1 Single Language Y9NXP-XT8MV-PT9TG-97CT3-9D6TC
Windows 8.1 Core 334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT
Windows 8.1 Pro XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB
Locate yourself a 8.1 ISO and use a generic install only key. Complete the install and use your OEM key to Activate
Use Macrium Reflect or other software to image your hard drive so that you won't have to clean install in the future. I can only speak for MR as it is known to work with window 8 UEFI GPT many others have been used and have failed to be able to recreate a bootable OS. Research the answers are all out there in the stickies at the top of this forum.
If you install the same version of window 8 that your notebook came with it should install using your embedded key. If you use the retail version you will need to use a generic either core or pro license to install and then activate using your embedded key.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Windows Eight its simple just use a program to extract your key from your BIOS.
Run pkeyui.exe by right clicking on it then choose Run As Administrator, then find your Windows 8 product key and write it down somewhere safe.
Here are the generic Key's that will allow you to install from a retail ISO, they will not activate windows they only allow you to install win 8.1 you need to activate with your embedded legal Key.
Window 8.1 Generic Keys:Windows 8.1 Single Language Y9NXP-XT8MV-PT9TG-97CT3-9D6TC
Windows 8.1 Core 334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT
Windows 8.1 Pro XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB
Locate yourself a 8.1 ISO and use a generic install only key. Complete the install and use your OEM key to Activate
Use Macrium Reflect or other software to image your hard drive so that you won't have to clean install in the future. I can only speak for MR as it is known to work with window 8 UEFI GPT many others have been used and have failed to be able to recreate a bootable OS. Research the answers are all out there in the stickies at the top of this forum.
If you install the same version of window 8 that your notebook came with it should install using your embedded key. If you use the retail version you will need to use a generic either core or pro license to install and then activate using your embedded key.

Do Windows 8.1 ISOs exist? Can't find one. Did you mean Windows 8?

Thanks for the great information. The one piece that I am not understanding is how to find the exact type of windows iso that the embedded bios key actually works with.

Like, I can find a Windows 8 retail iso pretty easy, but how do I make that work with an OEM key?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Right now the Windows product key viewer is showing a retail key I used (and not the bios one). Any idea on getting around this? Or was my mistake using a retail key to begin with? (PS, your link went to some set of forums and I downloaded the program from else where)

EDIT 2: Even after uninstalling the retail key, the key finding program you linked finds the retail key. 😕

EDIT 3: Seems that program, for me, is missing the MSDM option, as seen on screenshots around other forums. Seems necessary for getting the BIOS key. Also, RWEverything (which supposedly can accomplish the same
purpose) doesn't have the "MSDM" tab that contains the bios key for me either.

😞