cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My experience with Windows 7 -Asus G750JX

Geek_Shogunat
Level 7
Hi guys I want to share my experience using Windows 7 x64 Ultimate with you.

1st week: Well, everything was working AWESOME, even better than with W8. No driver problems everything was just AWESOME.

2nd week: Shortcuts like increasing-decreasing volume started to fail, also the play/pause button now doesn't do that it opens Windows Media Center and other stuff.

3rd week: Keyboard and screen brightness buttons doesn't work anymore, can't even change the values from power plans.

4th week: All the other stuff together, except for the first one 😞

Conclusion:
-Yes, you can install Windows 7 and may not have problems, but maybe you can have a lot of.
-It is a pain in the *** to unlock the bios, so much work for my fingers, plus OS loading screen now have that horrible Intel logo.
-If you want to go back to Windows 7, because you want to use gpedit, the hex or that stuff cause you feel you cant really customize your own pc, don't do it. Go straight to W8 or W8.1 PRO versions.
-If you want Windows to don't spy you that much, buy their products from Europe Servers.
-This gamer laptops wasn't made to use Windows 7.
-Best OS option atm: Windows 8.1 PRO x64.

I hope this really helps some people to know what they really want to do.

Good Luck!
ASUS ROG G750JX-MBSH1

CPU: i7-4700HQ @ 2.40 GHz.
MEMORY: 8 GB 800 MHz HYUNDAI RAM
GRAPHICS: GeForce GTX 770M 3 GB GDDR5 RAM
STORAGE: 128 GB SSD ADATA (OS) 1TB HDD 5400 RPM (STORAGE)
14 REPLIES 14

gazzacbr
Level 10
well, i really have to disagree.
i have always multi-booted my laptops using Boot-IT. the only catch here was that it does not work on a gpt disk.
i abandoned the original windows 8 which failed after one day and formatted my disk mbr.
that was clean installed from a retail disc. no asus bloat.
both my windows 7 are absolutely no problem at all. everything works.
i just did a check on the brightness and volume and i get a nice (well a bit giniky) overlay graphic in the middle of the screen which i dont get on win 8.
i use 1 win 7 for gaming as the games i play do not run on windows 8. i do have a win 8 just for BF4 as it is supposed to run better.
the other windows 7 i have is mostly used for CAD programs which also do not run on windows 8.
linux mint runs really well, everything supported. os x also now mostley runs fine.
what have you done to break the windows 7 function keys?
and why did you have to unlock the bios?
Asus G750JX-CV050H||GTX770M||24GB ram||120hz 3D screen||
1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD in DVD Bay
free bag and mouse :cool:
win 8.1||win 7||win xp||server 2008||os x mavericks||linux mint 16

Shawnnepc
Level 13
I don't get why you guys just don't put Start8 or Classic Start on the computers.

I've been doing that since the 8 release by default.

It makes the systems functionally the same & there are a number of improvements in Win8 that's worth keeping...
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com

Shawnnepc wrote:
I don't get why you guys just don't put Start8 or Classic Start on the computers.

Some of us do, and have been doing the same. 🙂

My Co worker installed Win7 on his G750 and started to experience blue screens. He also used all Win7 drivers for all the hardware. He ended up going back to Win8.

This laptop works great in Windows 8.1 for me. Metro can DIAF, but thats easily bypassed with any Start button. Start8 is the most complete so I bought it for $5.
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

Shawnnepc wrote:

It makes the systems functionally the same & there are a number of improvements in Win8 that's worth keeping...

I have to agree with this. I hate the metro interface but Win8 does have it's advantages. Start8 is a great compromise, and I refuse to use a Win8 machine without installing this software first. Simply a great piece of software for less than the price of a value meal.

Nillaz wrote:
I have to agree with this. I hate the metro interface but Win8 does have it's advantages. Start8 is a great compromise, and I refuse to use a Win8 machine without installing this software first. Simply a great piece of software for less than the price of a value meal.

Another alternative is StartIsBack.
ROG 750 JH - 256 SSD - 750 HDD - GTX 780M

pokerface
Level 9
StartIsBack is the best of them all

Why?

1) You can activate and re-activate it as many times a you wish on the same system without your key being blacklisted

2) It doesn't need a service at startup to run

3) it's the easiest and fastest to configure
ALIENWARE 18 Laptop
CPU: Intel Core i7-4900MQ CPU @ 3.8 GHz (8MB Cache)
Graphics: Dual GeForce GTX 780M SLI 2x4 GB GDDR5 RAM
Sound: Realtek ALC668 HD Audio with Klipsch Speakers
Memory: 32 GB Kingston HyperX 1866 MHz DDR3 PC3-14900 RAM
Storage: Samsung 850 PRO 256 GB SSD + Samsung 850 PRO 1 TB SSD + Samsung 840 EVO 1 TB mSATA SSD
Screen: Samsung LTM184HL01 18.4" WLED FHD (1920 X 1080) TrueLife Display PLS 16:9 1080p [SDC4C48]

It's an absolute joke that Asus refuse to support the Windows 7 operating system preferred by professionals all around the world when they charge so much for the G750 laptop.

I used the third party guide to install Windows 7 with success apart from the screen / display brightness issue which is a BIG issue for me. Any time you open the laptop (apart from doing a fresh reboot) there is no way to amend the screen brightness. This in practise means i need to restart my laptop at least twice a day, close all my working programs, save everything then open loads of stuff again. It's an absolute waste of my valuable time and surely an issue that could be resolved for everyone with an hour of dev time at ASUS

Support just said "don't use windows 7". Thanks for that. I will try a ticket now and report back as to whether they assist or i have to buy a new NON-ASUS laptop.

gazzacbr
Level 10
Hi,
not sure what you guys do but, as i said already, i have no problems with windows 7.
clean install and mostly windows 8 drivers. nvidia standard graphics.
no Asus bloat or power saving anything. ALL updates turned off/disabled.
the screen brightness and volume not only work perfect, but the osd actually looks a lot better than windows 8.
this is a copy/paste screenshot of the osd i get for brightness and volume, nice eh?
this is the win 7 i game on (you guessed that eh)
i have a different win 7 one that i use for CAD
Asus G750JX-CV050H||GTX770M||24GB ram||120hz 3D screen||
1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD in DVD Bay
free bag and mouse :cool:
win 8.1||win 7||win xp||server 2008||os x mavericks||linux mint 16

gazzacbr wrote:
Hi,
not sure what you guys do but, as i said already, i have no problems with windows 7.
clean install and mostly windows 8 drivers. nvidia standard graphics.
no Asus bloat or power saving anything. ALL updates turned off/disabled.
the screen brightness and volume not only work perfect, but the osd actually looks a lot better than windows 8.
this is a copy/paste screenshot of the osd i get for brightness and volume, nice eh?
this is the win 7 i game on (you guessed that eh)
i have a different win 7 one that i use for CAD

Completely agree - win 7 works like a charm, not a single problem / blue screen / unresponsive computer for over a month of intensive use.
All drivers work perfectly. Try re-installing the ATK driver which manages the on-screen display. Go get the driver for Win 8 - it works perfectly on Win 7.

I benchmarked a few games in Win 8 vs Win 7 myself and believe it or not I got anywhere from 10 to 20 more FPS on Win 7 (what a shock, er?). To me, Microsoft continues the tradition of having every OTHER windows being the good one: Win'98 amazing, Win 2000 sux, Win XP amazing, Vista sux, Win 7 amazing, ...