cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VW - SSD keeps filling up, does it need maintenance?

HAL2001
Level 7
Hello,
I have had my G75 since Oct 2012. It has a 256 GB SSD and a 750GB HDD. I try to place all my data on the D drive, with only what is forced to be on C, the SSD. My SSD is now always jumping to full, and after cleaning up what I can, it still only has about 20GB of free space. My User folder is about 100GB, but I see no way (with my limited knowledge) to reduce it.

Other than somehow cleaning up my C drive, I wonder if my SSD needs maintenance, and if so, what to do?
Thanks in advance,
Newbie Jim
4 REPLIES 4

Clintlgm
Level 14
Well lets see most if not all the G75vw with SSD and 750 Gb, from the factory has the 256gb divided into C: and 😧 the 750gb is partitioned as E: and F:? If you C: is full you might want to uninstall all non important programs and reinstall them on E: Most programs don't care where the are install and load them up won't take that much longer.
If you have some empty space on 😧 you could use something like Minitool Partition Magic, to move some space from 😧 to C:
If your whole 256gb SSD is really completely full then a clean install would be your best move. See Rewbens thread for guides and notesJ Just remember when your reinstalling all your software to use the custom install method and install to E: Program Files rather than C: or 😧
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Hello,
Thanks for the response. My system has the SSD as one partition for the C: drive, and the HDD is D:. I did manage to find an issue of sorts. I found that Google Earth had a cache on my C: drive of almost 100GB. I have deleted it now, and things are tremendously better. I am not sure why the large cache, but can now monitor it.

On your idea of placing programs on my 😧 drive, does that not defeat the speed purpoe of having programs loading and running quickly? Just curious.
Jim...

I just keep my MS Office, Adobe CS4 AV and a few programs that don't give you any options as to where to install. The OS itself is what the SSD is really good for.

100GB data base downloaded to your notebook that is interesting I never heard of such a thing, that has to be the complete Goggle Earth database. Sure you don't have something viral or malware going on?
At least you know where your problem was and can keep an eye on that.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

GottiBoi55
Level 10
Here's a link that should help Google earth filling up hard drive/forum