cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JM GPU Tweak

Exaulted93
Level 7
Has anyone else with the new 800 series Nvidia chips tried running GPU Tweak on them? I can only get the program to open in standard mode. Also what clocks have you gotten it to? Nvidia Inspector has been working but I'm reluctant to boost it up too high until I see other people try their's first 🙂
9 REPLIES 9

MrRuckus
Level 10
Im sure the 800 series do the same as the 700 which is throttle when pushed too hard. Even with a modified vbios with removed limitations the hardware still throttled in the G750JH.
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

BIOHAZARD9519
Level 7
Exaulted93 wrote:
Has anyone else with the new 800 series Nvidia chips tried running GPU Tweak on them? I can only get the program to open in standard mode. Also what clocks have you gotten it to? Nvidia Inspector has been working but I'm reluctant to boost it up too high until I see other people try their's first 🙂

In a way, its the only "mode". Asus decided to make this version of the GPU Tweak automatic. Meaning we don't get to choose manually what clock speeds we want. I am assuming they did this for reliability purposes.

A thought to try out is to disable the stock GPU Tweak, and install the one that the 700m users use and see if that works AT YOUR OWN RISK. I probably won't with mine though...

BIOHAZARD9519 wrote:
In a way, its the only "mode". Asus decided to make this version of the GPU Tweak automatic. Meaning we don't get to choose manually what clock speeds we want. I am assuming they did this for reliability purposes.

A thought to try out is to disable the stock GPU Tweak, and install the one that the 700m users use and see if that works AT YOUR OWN RISK. I probably won't with mine though...

BIOHAZARD9519, you won't hurt your 860m by uninstalling the GPU Tweak that came with it, and installing the other version - you can always reverse it and uninstall and reinstall. The links are here:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?45644-Asus-GPU-Tweak-for-Laptops-vs-Asus-GPU-Tweak-for-Grap...

If you bring up the other version, please post a Snippet screen shot using Windows Snipping tool, so we can see what you are seeing. The default GPU frequency and memory Frequency would be of interest.

If you try OC'ing the GPU, if it is like the previous models, you should be safe to move the GPU slider all the way up - the worst that can happen is to crash the Nvidia driver - and then you would just reboot to restart the driver at full speed. For the memory frequency, you can bump it up a couple hundred mhz at a time till you hit the ceiling, and then drop down 100mhz - and fine tune from there.

Remember to not set the option to tune to the last setting at boot - until you have picked a stable frequency - it doesn't do this by default - so don't enable it 🙂

A side effect might be that Optimus isn't enabled, since it looks like the Asus Tweak tool is required for providing GPU tuning. Could be a big win - OC and disable Optimus - forcing GTX all the time.

Take your time, no rush, if you don't feel comfortable doing this, someone will come along with the experience of already doing this on other laptops/GPU's. And their findings can help you feel comfortable to do it yourself somewhere down the road 🙂

Exaulted93
Level 7
I'll give it a shot in about an hour, I'll upload the screen I get too.

Exaulted93
Level 7

There it is 1232mhz. I can set the memory to 9999, so what should be safe to put it at?

Exaulted93
Level 7
So I got it to crash the program changing the memory clock and when I opened it again I cant set anything without the program crashing. Used snippet so you guys can see the error. I reinstalled the program (restarting before and after) and it worked the first time but if I run advanced mode it crashes. And thoughts?

Exaulted93
Level 7
Well I've been playing with it and it has different options every time I open it. It was crashing before just because that memory clock was set at 5k, I didn't notice it. So it just kind of works. I put the notebook version on to see if it changed anything and where it said 860m before was changed to "N15", I don't know what that's about. I think it's getting confused with the intel graphics and the 860m, sometimes there is an option to switch between 2D and 3D settings.

Exaulted93 wrote:
Well I've been playing with it and it has different options every time I open it. It was crashing before just because that memory clock was set at 5k, I didn't notice it. So it just kind of works. I put the notebook version on to see if it changed anything and where it said 860m before was changed to "N15", I don't know what that's about. I think it's getting confused with the intel graphics and the 860m, sometimes there is an option to switch between 2D and 3D settings.

Exaulted93, nice effort. 🙂

It is likely there is some kind of API that the GPU Tweak tool is using to access the GTX card, and it is getting confusing information with Optimus.

It may be that you can clear the settings file that Tweak Tool creates - probably a good idea to have deleted the directory / preferences files left over from the new Tweak Tool after uninstalling it and before installing the new one - you might try uninstalling both, find and remove all the directories / pref files associated with both installs, and then installing the Asus Tweak Tool for Graphics Cards again.

If you have trouble finding the hidden pref files, create a new user account and test from there, remove that account and create another fresh account if you get painted into a corner again.

You might also try setting the Nvidia Global 3D settings to prefer the GTX graphics by default, and then go through the Program settings tab and setting all to GTX. Not sure where the desktop default is set, but that might be something to track down and set to GTX too.

Then you won't feed the wonky Intel settings through to the "old" Asus Tweak tool, and it might work better.

IDK about speeds, but it is clear from the slider for GPU speed that you *don't* want to slide it all the way to the right 🙂

The memory clock should go up a bit more, but we don't have any baseline to go from yet on these cards.

For me the JH is ok in at 6250mhz for memory and 932mhz for GPU (pre-turbo speed)

When I first got the JW/JX/JH I didn't have a baseline either, so I went up immediately to a crash point - in your case you may need to erase the preferences after a crash - and then back off from there. Or you can go up 100mhz at a time till you get an Nvidia driver crash - and then reboot to restart the Nvidia driver at full speed.

Keep going 🙂

noone
Level 8
does not sound very compatible, if it had different settings every time, its being controlled elsewhere.