cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Hero NIC Download Speed Rate Issue

Aldotroi
Level 7
Hi guys,

A week ago I completed a build with a VI Hero with an i5 4670k, 16GB Corsair RAM and pretty much a high end machine. Details apart, first thing I did was to install a fresh copy of Windows 8.1 Pro (x64) from a Boot USB. Once done, I proceeded to download each of the missing drivers and this is where I started to see problems with the network.

For starters, I have a symmetric internet connection (20Mbps) and browsing is a breeze. But for some strange reason, whenever I'm downloading something (Be it certain driver or a game in Steam/Origin) the speed rate goes crazy: from 2.4MB/s to suddenly 50KB/s and then to 0KB/S and stays there for a while, then suddenly again to 2.0MB/s and slowly goes down.

Now, the PC is wired to the router and I haven't tried a WiFi adapter. However I use other machines in the network via WiFi and everything is smooth. AFAIK the ethernet adapter is an Intel I217-V and I already tried a bunch of drivers (from Intel and ASUS) but nothing changes.

Finally, I already tried modifying the MTU and still nothing, for some reason this doesn't makes sense as I can browse pretty fast so at this point I'm very confused on what the problem could be.

TL;DR I can browse super fast but downloads are apparently being throttled by either windows or the NIC itself.

Any help would be more than appreciated.

Regards
6 REPLIES 6

Deepcuts
Level 10
Did not had this problem with my Hero.
Actually, the NIC is a masterpiece. I can reach a WAN-LAN speed of 933 Mb/s 🙂

Maybe you have an antivirus interfering with your downloads?
Maybe the cable is busted? Router port?

Get a Live DVD with Ubuntu, boot from it and try to download something.
If the problem is gone, your Windows is busted.
If the problem remains and you checked the cable and router port, it might be a faulty motherboard/NIC.(unlikely)

I guess you have disabled any QoS on your router, right?

I'm at the office but I'll try the live CD tests as you promptly suggested. Are you using Win8.1? If so, can I get your drivers info in order to match them?

Regards

Deepcuts
Level 10
I like my PC.
Why would I want to put that misery of a so called operating system on it? 😄
Do not want to hurt it's feelings.

I am using Windows 7.
Drivers from Asus website.

Aldotroi
Level 7
My bad, I assumed you had 8.1. The reason behind is better game performance, or that is what I've been told. I like doing my own research but TBH I did very few on the OS.

Anyway, I used the live CD and the download rate is still very low. At this point I'm suspecting it could actually be my ISP doing something (the router is a ZNID and there are very few settings to tweak) so next step would be to either try another wired connection or simply jump to WiFi.

Regards!

Aldotroi wrote:
) so next step would be to either try another wired connection or simply jump to WiFi.

Regards!

I would try another device which has a gigabit LAN port on it first if you can.

Make sure you connect the other device to the router using the same network cable and same port on the router that you have your current computer connected to (i.e. disconnect cable from your computer and connect it to the other device).

Also - I know that with my router (Fritz!Box 7390) it had "Green" settings in regards to power and such for the ports. You need to make sure - if applicable - that the ports on the router are set to be "always" on to Gigabit speeds.
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Maximus VI Formula (BIOS 0804)
CPU: Intel i5-4670k
HDD 1: Samsung SSD 250G 840BW EVO
HDD 2: Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB Caviar Blue 7200rpm
RAM: 16gb (2x8) G. Skill RipJawsX DDR3-2133
PSU: Seasonic X-Series 750W 80 Plus Gold
GPU: Gigabyte GV-N770OC-4GD
CASE: Fractal Design Define R4
OPTICAL DRIVE: Pioneer BDR-209DBK
MONITOR: Samsung S24C300HL; BenQ E2200HD
Other: MS Wired 600; Logitech MX 310; Sennheiser PC 151 & Logitech Z150

Deepcuts
Level 10
Can you setup your internet connection directly on your PC?
Meaning, skipping the router altogether?