cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fan configuration + water cool advice

Azogg
Level 7
So heres the layout, i have a Maximus IV Hero mobo inside a Corsair C70 mid tower. cooling this system i have a Corsair H110 water cooler. my problem is this, My case came with 3-3pin case fans (fully controllable on this mobo) and my water cooler came with 2 large 4pin fans...and the water pump itself has a 3pin corde, my mobo has a CPU header (4pin) a CPU_OPT header (4-pin) and 3-4pin CHASSY headers....i currently have one case fan 3pin plugged into CHA_FAN 1. another case fan plugged into CHA_FAN 3. i have one of the water cool fans(4pin) on the CPU header and the other(4pin) on CHA_FAN 2, and the pump itself (3pin) on the CPU_OPT header. and im left with one case fun unused.

other than the Bios i have no other way of controlling the speeds because im not particularly fond of Asus Ai Suite 3. but from what i notice in the Bios Cha fan 1 and 3 are running between 700-900rpm which is fine, but cha fan 2 in running at 1000-1100rpm....whereas the Cpu fan (same exact fan as ch fan 2) is running at about 800-900 rpm and the pump is running at full rpm 1500-1600rpm as it should otherwise its not doing its job.

my question is, would plugging my two fans from my water cooler into one header(CPU FAN) via a Y splitter damage my mobo and also at the same time why is one of the fans running faster than the other......AND what would you guys recommend the configuration should be...i read somewhere that the combined fan speed shouldn't go over the cpu header speed which is A1, but thats all Greek to me...........ironically that is in fact what i am

i also dont really want to plug anything into the PSU
10 REPLIES 10

Zka17
Level 16
Welcome to the ROG Forum!

Why not connect the fans on the rad to the pump directly? Then connect the pump to the CPU header...

unfortunately, there are no ports/headers on pump on the H110

Azogg wrote:
unfortunately, there are no ports/headers on pump on the H110

Ah, my bad, I have forgot that!

The mono headers can handle 1Amp... so, if your two fans won't go above that, then you can use an Y-cable to connect both to one header... - but I wasn't able to find the H110's fans specs... at this moment, I would connect them to CPU and CPU opt, just to be on the safe side...

Radiator dimensions: 140mm x 312mm x 29mm
Fan dimensions: 140mm x 25mm
Fan speed: 1500 +/- 10% RPM
Fan airflow: 94 CFM
Fan static pressure: 1.64mm-H2O
Noise level: 35dB(A)

this is all i could fine on the fans

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
I would think your best option on that note would be the CPU and CPU_Opt fan headers, since they're controlled in parallel.

Z

Edit: And, power the pump via a molex to 3-pin adapter. Just my view.

Zka17
Level 16
Yes, but you would need the wattage/amperage...

12v DC 0.4A is what it says on the actual fan...make any sense?

Zka17
Level 16
Yeap, that's what you need! 0.4Amps is meaning that youy actually can use an Y-cable to hok up the two fans to a single header...

thanks, that's great to hear, but a question still remains. why is it that the fan thats plugged into cha fan 2 spins faster than the rest...doesn't matter which of the fans i have plugged in it...140mm or 120mm, they still spin at a faster rpm...considering all the setting in the bios are set to auto/standard for all my fan headers, so even when my pc is idling on the desktop, that one fan is spinning faster than the rest