cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VW Power problems

mr_blue
Level 7
Hello everyone, hopefully you all can help me.

So this all started a little over a week ago and has left me absolutely confused. Anyways, I was browsing around and all of the
sudden my g75 was no longer receiving power. What I then did was attempt to try different outlets with no luck. After doing some research I thought it could be the motherboard. Not wanting to change this myself as it seems rather difficult I took it to
Microcenter, which is a local store that repairs computers. After taking it to them they plugged it in and it worked perfectly. They then ran some sort of diagnostics test and said that everything looked good so I took it home. I then plugged it in at my house and it worked for about 3 hours then stopped charging once again. I figured it was the power supply and ordered a new one.
After that came in today I tried it with no success and then sparks started coming out of the Ethernet port near the charging port on the laptop. After this I tried an outlet in a different part of my house and it worked. I was stumped at this point. I went back to the part of my house that did not work originally and it actually began working again. Except that after another 30 minutes of working it stopped charging again. I then plugged in the new charger that I ordered and it began working again. It worked for about another 2 hours then the new charger shorted and died. I am now running on the original power supply and am EXTREMELY confused as to what is causing this.

I've narrowed it down to either the charging port, my power supplies, or my houses power. If anyone knows what is causing this please help.
G75vw-rs72
3 REPLIES 3

GottiBoi55
Level 10
Could be the power outlet is not grounded properly, could be the reason why new power brick shorted out.
How long did you use the working outlet?

GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

mr_blue
Level 7
I've used the outlet for over a year now and it just started doing this.

Also, I just heard a popping noise from the charging port followed by the smell of burning electronics, and then the screen went black and the laptop shut down. I turned it back on and it shut down again. I turned it back on again without it being connected to a power supply and it hasn't shut down yet. Still not sure what the problem is but i'm afraid to connect it to the power supply again.
G75vw-rs72

GottiBoi55
Level 10
You should RMA then, let an official Asus service center fix.
Could be MB problem causing this at the power inlet port.
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"