cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using optional temp sensors on the Maximus VI Formula

InFAMAS-ONE
Level 8
Hi guys!

I am planning on buying a Maximus VI Formula Motherboard, and have a quick question about the optional temp sensor headers near each fan header.

I would like to be able to have a temperature sensor in a couple of places in my liquid cooling loop, and connect these sensors to the Optional Temp sensor headers on the Motherboard. Can I assign my radiator fans to each of these sensors in AI Suite III, and set a fan curve, so that the fans ramp up with increased coolant temperature?

In AI Suite II on my current Maximus V GENE, I am limited to only CPU and Motherboard temperature readings for all my fan curves. Can I use these optional Temp sensor readings on the Maximus VI Formula to set fan curves in AI Suite III?

I hope that ASUS have put the headers on the Motherboard with something like this in mind, and not just put them there for monitoring with no "linkable" fan control.

Thanks 🙂
4 REPLIES 4

madcratebuilder
Level 10
I can't help you with the AI Suite, I've never used it. If you find that the AI Suite does not do what you want take a look at the Aquaero controllers. The high end ones with the lcd screen are a bit spendy but you can get all the control without the screen in the Aquaero 5 LT, it's about $70 USD's and when combined with the free Aqua Suite software allows the user to set fan curves controlled by just about any sensor on the system.
Speedbird 9590@5.1/CHVFZ/8gb G Skill@2133/ASUS R9-280X all on EK blocks controlled with Aquaero 6 Pro

Goonybird 8350@4.6/GA990FXAUD3/16gb Corsair@1600/Crossfired Sapphire 7990's cooled with CM 240L XSPC res

jab383
Level 13
Ai Suite will not do that linking. You do it when plugging in the sensors and fans. Connect a sensor to OPT_TEMP1 two-pin header, then it can be used by BIOS to control OPT_FAN1. Similarly OPT_TEMP2 can control OPT_FAN2 and OPT_TEMP3 can control OPT_FAN3. The sensor headers are located immediately adjacent to the corresponding fan headers. BIOS sets up these controls for me since I don't use Ai Suite.

An example use is just what you ask about -- a 10K temperature sensor built in to a fitting adapter gives water temperature which controls radiator fans. Be sure to have some fan or pump tachometer connected to the CPU fan header to prevent alarm, shutdown or hang in BIOS at boot.

You can download the manual for the M6F from the download and support site even before you buy the motherboard. I did and it helped with questions like this.

Jeff

Brilliant!

Thanks for the answers guys! 😄

I have an SP120 PWM fan that's currently plugged into my CPU_FAN header. This fan is mounted onto a 120mm Radiator which I have behind the rear case fan. I was mainly curious if I could control the 2 SP120's on my 240mm Radiator (bottom of case) with the Motherboard, instead of having to buy a fan controller, so thanks for confirming I can.

Now, just whilst we're on the subject; Do you guys think it would be possible to connect 1 temp sensor to two headers via a 2-pin y-splitter so that I can control 2 fans, on individual headers with one sensor? I'd like to be able to put the sensor inline to measure the temp of the coolant entering the 240mm radiator from my GPU, and be able to control both fans on that radiator from the one temp sensor. Is doing that likely to cause any inaccuracies in sensor readings?

Cheers.

jab383
Level 13
The fan headers are rated for 1 amp each. If the fans total to less than that, the splitter could be used to drive both fans. The splitter should have a tachometer wire from only one of the fans to feedback to the motherboard.

An alternative which I use is the sort of splitter cable that draws 12volt power from a power supply molex and has a separate 4-pin plug with only tachometer and PWM wires for the motherboard header. A single header and sensor do the controlling without a motherboard power limit.

Connecting one sensor to two headers will surely cause inaccuracy. The MB header runs some current through the sensor to measure resistance. Adding the currents from two headers will look like twice the resistance or a much lower temperature.

Jeff