cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX-BBK7 First Impressions and Widi P2tv, 3d Questions

FSXNut
Level 7
Hello everyone, I purchased this yesterday and am extremely happy with it so far. It replaces (and blows away) a Gateway P173FX-XL. The only problem was the keyboard, but the ASUS Live Update did the bios and that seems to have fixed it.

I told the BestBuy folks I wanted to be able to stream the laptop onto hdtv and they immediately said the netgear p2tv 2000 would do the trick. Turns out it wont, so far anyways. I looked at the intel site for the requirements to use wireless display, http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wtech/iwd/sb/CS-031059.htm.

This laptop has everything (2630QM, Centrino® Wireless-N + WiMAX 6150), with the exception of Intel HD graphics..?? Should I install this driver? Will it conflict/mess up the nvidia drivers already installed? Netgear support is no help because this laptop is not on their list, http://www.netgear.com/landing/ptv_supportedlaptops_usa.aspx and BB Geek Squad 800 number was clueless. When I called BB store the lady that answered said no one, including geek squad, has any experience with p2tv and so couldn't help. Sheesh, I'm a little irked at BB at the moment. I dont remember salesguy name but I may hunt down tomorrow.

Tried to install the intel wireless display driver and receive error message of, "This platform is not compatible with Intel Widi or the application is in use. Please see log for more details." When I check out the log, though, it tells me everything 'passed' or okay. The log is a .csv file, and I have no idea how to post that here, but happy to with instruction.

If anyone can help I sure would appreciate it. I have an old back injury that flares from time to time, like now, such that I cannot sit for any amount of time, so I am using laptop on stand next to bed. Would be heaven if I could get this on big screen. Injury also keeps me from using my acer 3d monitor (attached to desktop) which leads to next question, how to turn on 3d in laptop?

With FSX running full screen, I press the button next to power button, but it just indicates it is changing modes, from entertainment to high performance, etc, and nothing about 3d. I have also tried the start/nvidia/enable-disable 3d to no avail. The 3d drivers were already installed, and yes I have the glasses, so I'm at a loss.

FSX is a real CPU hog, and this is the first laptop that will run it smoothly with most settings on high, so very well done ASUS. Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES 6

Yahooligan
Level 7
Hmmmm, I'm not sure where you saw that the G74SX-BBK7 does either 3D or WiDi, unfortunately it does neither. The 3D display is only certain models of the G74SX with the 1080p (1920x1080) 3D screen, yours has the 1600x900 (720p) display. There's also models with the non-3D 1080p screen.

Sorry for the bad news. Sounds like Best Buy led you astray on a couple of products. 😞
--
Yahooligan
ASUS G74SX-XR1 :cool:

ok, thanks for info. which model would that be that does 3d? also, could you please explain why the nvidia 3d driver, 268.37, was pre-installed? how about start/programs/nvidia/enable and disable 3d? i paid extra for geek squad to'optimize,' it.

or did i just answer my own question?

so are you telling me geek squad charged me money to load drivers for 3-d when the screen is incapable of 3d? why would, they install these? i did see after brought home nvidia control panel 60 hz refresh rate, but i figured it would change to the 120 needed for 3d vision. i had a monitor, years ago, that did that.

the only reason i went to best buy was for their "knowledge" and "expertise" in computers. normally i would do my own research, but in this case other laptop has been running hot and shutting down so i needed a new, ready to go, from the get go. i told them what i wanted it to do and they said this one would. i had no time to research

it already has 4 stickers on it; processor, graphics card, windows, and energy efficient. since the 3d is wholly and completely subservient to things like the processor and graphics card, i assumed it did not merit its own sticker. should i only buy laptop with 3d sticker on it?

this is a shame bc i really like this laptop.

it still possible to output to 1080p capable device? will this work with vizio 3d 120 hz hdtv?

irdmoose
Level 10
Typically models ending in 3DE (for the US) are the only models that include an onboard 3D compatible display. However, your laptop would support 3D through an external display, which you said isn't feasible because of your back injury. Also, I'm pretty sure that your system doesn't do WiDi either. I've seen some WiDi-like dongles that use HDMI dongles on both ends to send the signals back and forth, but I don't recall when/where I saw them (or even a make/model). As Yahooligain said, it looks like BBY led you astray.

you beat me to it irdmoose, thx.

Chastity
Level 10
The G74SX does not use any integrated Intel video, it will only use the NVIDIA 560M. There is no reason to install any Intel HD graphic software.

The 560M can output 3D to an external 3D TV or monitor over HDMI with a HDMI 1.4 capable cable. You should also get a NVIDIA USB emitter and glasses for best results.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Hi Chastity thanks for responding. I only brought up the Intel HD Graphics as it relates to the intel wireless display technology.

It is the only requirement, per link in op, that this computer does not have. So, I was simply wondering if I installed that, would the netgear p2tv then work? Thanks.