cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSU unit to match a Red/Black Maximus V Extreme Build

aeneon
Level 7
Hello
Currently still building my new rig which will be all red and black . Everythings going well but my trusty HX1000 PSU will have to go as its blue /black and looks awful with the ROG Maximus board and its red cabling.
I took a look at the Corsair AX860 with its all black fully modular cables and thought it looked ideal until I read a lot of reports on coil whine . This put me off a bit as my ears are really sensitive as I suffer tinnitus , and any whine really adds to the suffering .
The PSU I am after would need to be black and have all black cables , and 850W or just over . I only plan on one GPU so no need for tooo much.
I see XFX do a black edition 850W but I think that's Seasonic, same as Corsairs are manufactured by so might also whine.

Anyway , over to you and hope you can suggest a few . I love the help you guy and girls offer here.
Best wishes
18 REPLIES 18

IM2L844
Level 12
I would prefer just a little touch of white in there, but that's just me. I'm just about to pull the trigger on a SeaSonic Platinum SS-860XP2 for $179 @ Newegg for my wife's PC. After reading through all the item specific reviews from verified owners I couldn't find a single noise related issue and this particular model is now about 2 years old or so. I'm guessing it would have come up by now. Besides, a red colored Sharpie could probably fix it up for your theme in no time.

Cirenitram
Level 9
Ever think of removing the outside covers and spray-painting the covers? If you take your time it could be a work of art.
Attachment leads to jealousy, the shadow of greed, that is. Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.

Cirenitram wrote:
Ever think of removing the outside covers and spray-painting the covers? If you take your time it could be a work of art.

It occurs to me that this would be the ideal option, unless you have cash to burn - which I would say should be directed at better components elsewhere.

Z

Edit: Honestly, I feel like a high quality PSU looks good with any color scheme, because when people look into the case they can think, "Holy Toledo, Batman!! This guy uses only the best!!"

Just my take.

Edit: Also, look at Seasonic's PSU line - they are pretty color-neutral and are top-notch to boot.

Dr. Zchivago wrote:
It occurs to me that this would be the ideal option, unless you have cash to burn - which I would say should be directed at better components elsewhere.

Z

Edit: Honestly, I feel like a high quality PSU looks good with any color scheme, because when people look into the case they can think, "Holy Toledo, Batman!! This guy uses only the best!!"

Just my take.

Edit: Also, look at Seasonic's PSU line - they are pretty color-neutral and are top-notch to boot.

Can't go wrong with pretty much anything made by Seasonic or Super Flower as OEM makers. Just pick one. I will warn you if you paint he casing you void the warranty so you might as well just get one and take the sticker off and keep it.
Mobo: Rampage IV BE | CPU: i7-4930@4.5ghz Hexacore | RAM: 32GB Corsair V-Pro | GPU: 4xR9 290X Quadfire | PSU: eVGA P2 SuperNOVA 1000W\G2 850W | Chassis: NZXT Phantom 820 | Cooling: XSPC Raystorm CPU Block\4xEK 290X Block\2x Laing D5\XSPC Dual Bay Res\Phobya G-Changer 1080 External Rad\Alphacool 140UT60\XSPC AX360 | Fan Con: Lamptron CW611 | Tube: Primochill Adv. LRT Bloodshed Red | 3xCrossover 27" 2560x1440 Monitors | Build Log of Insanity

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions , certainly a lot of food for thought .
I am pretty fond of my HX1000 , and its still a good psu , so the top sticker could come off carefully , the side ones though are stuck fast but i could put something over the top. 🙂
I will check out the models suggested to , thanks.

Dr. Zchivago wrote:

Z

Just my take.

+1 on quality
+1 on better components
depending on how old your HX1000 PSU is, it may already be out of warranty and painting will not matter. removing the labels will void a warranty also, no?
Attachment leads to jealousy, the shadow of greed, that is. Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.

Cirenitram wrote:
+1 on quality
+1 on better components
depending on how old your HX1000 PSU is, it may already be out of warranty and painting will not matter. removing the labels will void a warranty also, no?

Not with a Super Flower. I don't know about a Seasonic. If you take out the WARRANTY VOID IF REMOVED. Screws to get it off to paint it, yes you've voided it. But the sticker? yeah right. My fiance who happens to be a lawyer in that field just chimed in and said that unless they explicitly ban that kind of thing, that it's fair game to take the sticker off.
Mobo: Rampage IV BE | CPU: i7-4930@4.5ghz Hexacore | RAM: 32GB Corsair V-Pro | GPU: 4xR9 290X Quadfire | PSU: eVGA P2 SuperNOVA 1000W\G2 850W | Chassis: NZXT Phantom 820 | Cooling: XSPC Raystorm CPU Block\4xEK 290X Block\2x Laing D5\XSPC Dual Bay Res\Phobya G-Changer 1080 External Rad\Alphacool 140UT60\XSPC AX360 | Fan Con: Lamptron CW611 | Tube: Primochill Adv. LRT Bloodshed Red | 3xCrossover 27" 2560x1440 Monitors | Build Log of Insanity

I stand corrected. If you are going to remove a sticker from a PSU, make sure you do not void the warranty by doing so.

Thanks everyone , this has become quite a thread !!

After some consideration I think I might go with EVGA and the Supernova 850 G2 . I heard they are made by Super flower so that's a bonus if its true. All the cables are black and I do have some Silverstone red extension leads which would look nice on the ends. 😮
My HX1000 is a bit long in the tooth but should make a few $$ on ebay .
Thanks again