cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G46VW memory upgrade without removing battery

hwa23
Level 7
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and this is the first time I've posted here. I have a quick question regarding whether it is truly necessary to remove the battery in order to upgrade the RAM? Since the G46VW has an internal battery that is not easy to remove and I'm not confident (not computer literate) in disassembling the laptop, I'd really rather change the RAM with the battery intact. I've tried researching on google and found that there seemed to be a split in the consensus: some claiming it's perfectly fine as long as you do not inadvertently switch the laptop on halfway through the process whereas some said there's a good chance you'd fry your motherboard.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated along with any precautions that I should take. Thank you.
7 REPLIES 7

Djask
Level 7
Considering the two RAM slots on the panel can be upgraded easily, I wouldn't really worry about taking the battery out. Just make sure you shut down the computer and don't turn it on in the upgrade process. Good luck.
Asus G46VW
i7 3630QM | 750GB Hard Drive | 1080p Full HD Display | Corsair Vengeance 16GB | GTX 660m | Windows 7 Ultimate

Thank you guys for warning me about that before I went ahead and did something regrettable. Appreciate all the info! 😄

That's a very nice copy pasta Gotti, at least you could quote 😉
STATION WAGON PC:
CPU
: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T BE / A10 7700K MOBO: ASUS M4A79XTD EVO / ASUS Crossblade Ranger
COOLING: Coolermaster V8 PSU: Chieftec 80P 600W / Corsair RM850
RAM: Kingston HyperX T1 2x4GB DISK: Seagate 1TB, WD Green Caviar 1,5TB
CASE: Cooler Master Elite 330 / Corsair Carbide SPEC02 VIDEO: Asus GTX460 1GB DCU/TOP

G56JR

Just upgraded them and everything went well. 🙂

hwa23
Level 7
Thank you for the advice. Much appreciated. Do you think it is necessary to fully deplete the battery?

arkejn
Level 7
No, it's never good to fully discharge any Li-Ion batteries, it may damage battery to death.

Always have your battery between almost depleted and almost full.
STATION WAGON PC:
CPU
: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T BE / A10 7700K MOBO: ASUS M4A79XTD EVO / ASUS Crossblade Ranger
COOLING: Coolermaster V8 PSU: Chieftec 80P 600W / Corsair RM850
RAM: Kingston HyperX T1 2x4GB DISK: Seagate 1TB, WD Green Caviar 1,5TB
CASE: Cooler Master Elite 330 / Corsair Carbide SPEC02 VIDEO: Asus GTX460 1GB DCU/TOP

G56JR

GottiBoi55
Level 10
It's not recommended to fully discharge, if a lithium-ion battery is discharged below 2.5 volts per cell, a safety circuit built into the battery opens and the battery appears to be dead. Then at that point the original charger will be of no use.
Only a battery analyzer with the boost function will have a chance of recharging the battery then.

There is one exception. Battery experts suggest that after 30 charges, you should allow lithium-ion batteries to almost completely discharge. Continuous partial discharges create a condition called digital memory, decreasing the accuracy of the device's power gauge. So let the battery discharge to the cut-off point and then recharge. The power gauge will recalibrate.
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"