cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't detect BD Roms - G750JH

Colki
Level 7
Hi guys!

I own this laptop now for a couple months now and finally i tried to watch a (blu ray-) movie on it.
Got no problems with CD/DVDs at all.
The laptop/the Drive can't detect them. It's annoying. I don't think the laser is broken.

The exact name of the drive is --> TSSTcorp DVDWBD SN-406AB

I changed my region to 2 (im from europe), tried "refresh" in the setings, updated the Blu Ray Player Software ect ect.
Booting with the disc inside doesn't work too! 😞

Do you have any ideas? Help appreciated!

PS: Yeah I did Google it, no I don't have iTunes

Edit: I might add I use windows 8. (shipped with it)
8 REPLIES 8

arkejn
Level 7
I heard intel rapid storage cause this. Try uninstalling RST. Also you may need to update firmware, but check RST first. Also if you have any music/video programs, uninstall them all, try with one at a time.
STATION WAGON PC:
CPU
: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T BE / A10 7700K MOBO: ASUS M4A79XTD EVO / ASUS Crossblade Ranger
COOLING: Coolermaster V8 PSU: Chieftec 80P 600W / Corsair RM850
RAM: Kingston HyperX T1 2x4GB DISK: Seagate 1TB, WD Green Caviar 1,5TB
CASE: Cooler Master Elite 330 / Corsair Carbide SPEC02 VIDEO: Asus GTX460 1GB DCU/TOP

G56JR

Colki
Level 7
Thanks for the quick response.
I read that too, uninstalled something from intel before.

Cant find RST now on my computer.

As for media-programs, I did not change anything (except updating Asus DVD). Now I tried VLC too, still no success 😞

i did have this problem initially make sure powerdvd is installed and also updated make sure to reboot after it updates and it should work.

Do you mean the "ASUSDvD" Version of PowerDvD or PowerDvD itself?
I updated the asus version - it says now that it is the newest version -> 10.0.5710.52

Meh, this driving me crazy 😞

Colki
Level 7
Hm, still no solution. Nobody got a clue? 😞

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Sorry, don't know the answer either, but thought you may want to contact your local ASUS support through this page http://support.asus.com/Hotlines.aspx?SLanguage=en, or even consider arranging an RMA later if necessary?

If you aren't worried about erasing Windows and think it's worth the trouble, try this to make sure nothing you have installed is causing problems.

If your unit came with the blu ray drive though, I would expect the software to play blu ray would be preinstalled, but it may be something you need to verify with your local support to confirm you should be receiving the blu ray software player and it was preinstalled in your system (instead of just the DVD player software).

Actually, I'm not sure if you can still download trial versions of blu ray software, but this might give you a better idea of the problem too.
Although you tried VLC, I thought you had to do more things to get it to play blu ray.

Good luck!

cl-Albert wrote:
...Actually, I'm not sure if you can still download trial versions of blu ray software, but this might give you a better idea of the problem too. Although you tried VLC, I thought you had to do more things to get it to play blu ray.
Good luck!

Good idea cl-Albert, Colki can try the demo versions of PowerDVD Utlimate 14, which supports blu-ray playback, that is what I use. Here is a link to a 30 day trial download:
http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/trials/powerdvd-ultra/download_en_US.html

Edit by cl-Albert: Thanks for the suggestion/post hmscott!

jminica
Level 7
If you are still having this problem it is the asus software. you need to purchase a program capable of decoding Blu-ray.