cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

torn between two worlds

BoostedLSJ20
Level 7
I currently have a xfx 280X in my current rig, I'm building a computer for my girlfriend since she wants to get into gaming. I'm planning to basically give her my GPU and plan on buying a new card for myself I'm just stuck on what card to get I want to try an NVIDIA card now I was looking at the GTX 780 but the 290X is also another option. I guess my question would be what would you choose?
10 REPLIES 10

X-ROG
Level 15
Horses for courses really. Look at some GTX 780/R9 290X reviews and see the performance difference in the games you want, and weigh that up versus the price difference. If there's still not much between them and you're happy with Nvidia, stick with the GTX 780 🙂 At least then you have a choice of DCII or Poseidon! 😄

Zka17
Level 16
You can also check the Mars III... 😄

Zka17 wrote:
You can also check the Mars III... 😄

That doesn't exist lol 😛

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
That doesn't exist lol 😛

Actually..

They did make it. I saw the PCB running. No proper thermal solution was developed but it was made. Couldn't release it though for many reasons 😕 AMD has no such limitations on its designs as it's committed to the dual GPU model.

At least you've got the MARS 760 and R9 295X2 to choose from now!

Zka17
Level 16
Oh, well, the Mars dual 760 then - thought it was also called Mars III... 🙂

Zka17 wrote:
Oh, well, the Mars dual 760 then - thought it was also called Mars III... 🙂

It is the Mars III, you're correct http://rog.asus.com/tag/mars-iii/
Mobo: Rampage IV BE | CPU: i7-4930@4.5ghz Hexacore | RAM: 32GB Corsair V-Pro | GPU: 4xR9 290X Quadfire | PSU: eVGA P2 SuperNOVA 1000W\G2 850W | Chassis: NZXT Phantom 820 | Cooling: XSPC Raystorm CPU Block\4xEK 290X Block\2x Laing D5\XSPC Dual Bay Res\Phobya G-Changer 1080 External Rad\Alphacool 140UT60\XSPC AX360 | Fan Con: Lamptron CW611 | Tube: Primochill Adv. LRT Bloodshed Red | 3xCrossover 27" 2560x1440 Monitors | Build Log of Insanity

Zka17
Level 16
It is a little bit confusing, but whatever it is, that dual GTX760 Mars card is a beast! :cool:

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Yeah I know they were made mate, I saw a pic or two of some guys assembling them, or doing something with them lol.

Also remember one main reason why there was no MARS III and all I can say is Nvidia should be ashamed of themselves, they make the base product, it's up to the Mfrs to do the rest!! there should be no rules stopping that.

And yep, we do...they are both out of my price range lol but hey, maybe one year i'll have a ROG VGA :cool:

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Yeah I know they were made mate, I saw a pic or two of some guys assembling them, or doing something with them lol.

Also remember one main reason why there was no MARS III and all I can say is Nvidia should be ashamed of themselves, they make the base product, it's up to the Mfrs to do the rest!! there should be no rules stopping that.

And yep, we do...they are both out of my price range lol but hey, maybe one year i'll have a ROG VGA :cool: